Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back Up
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 15th Feb 2018, 1:59 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 5985

Who looks after you dogs if you had to spend time in hospital?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ebd
post 15th Feb 2018, 2:20 pm
Post #2

Member No.: 9633

This is a constant worry.

I've had a wonderful dog sitter who moves into my home in my absence, but she is one of only a few people in the country who offer this service. She was very much in demand, one needed to book well ahead. So an unplanned need to be away was always a concern. Now my sitter is retired, and despite interviewing pretty much every sitter out there, including searching in neighboring countries, I have been unable to find anyone with the skills I need offering the service I need.

In Switzerland, dog sitters are generally people looking for cash on the side, who do not see dog care as a responsibility. If your dog is small and perfect someone might be willing to help out (for a few hundred a day) but if your dog has any quirks, let alone 'baggage' - there are few options available.

Kennels are out of the question, as most most will not take a dog with medical needs. (Dogs in kennels are generally left unsupervised overnight, a good 12 hours.)

So for now, if the emergency doesn't involved my side of the family my only option is to fly a family member in (from the US) to take care of my dogs. If the emergency involves my side of the family, then my OH would need to stay home to care for the mutts.

(Should any enterprising Brit with a background in caring for rescue and 'special needs' dogs fancy a change of scenery - there's a market niche in Switzerland going unfilled ... wink.gif )

This post has been edited by ebd: 15th Feb 2018, 2:22 pm
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 15th Feb 2018, 4:23 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 10854

I was thinking of moving there even before you wrote the last sentence lol.gif

I've got a very good friend who has taken my dogs in when I've needed to go into hospital, and another who's a neighbour who came to feed the cats.

Chris
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kimthecat
post 15th Feb 2018, 11:47 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 4804

My other half looks after them . If he couldn't then my neighbour would.
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 16th Feb 2018, 7:17 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 2147

My husband - when both of us need to be away, visiting my elderly parents for example, my sons do it between them.
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 16th Feb 2018, 11:19 am
Post #6

Member No.: 5985

Thats great if you have willing relatives or neighbours unfortunately I have neither.

I feel very much like EBD. sad.gif
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 16th Feb 2018, 6:56 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

They would go into kennels
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 17th Feb 2018, 9:38 am
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I have a friend who acts as my dog sitter who should be able to do it in an emergency, she's been great so far. But honestly, the thought of this happening without warning scares the heck out of me - if she couldn't do it, there is no-one else because Ren can't cope with any other humans in the house. And Phoebe cannot go into kennels, so I'd be absolutely shafted!

I have friends who would come in to let them out if I was desperate, but Ren wouldn't go near them and wouldn't toilet so she'd end up ill. I've thought about trying to sort out a backup from a local sitter, but it's a big issue because it takes literally months to get even halfway to gaining her trust - Kassey was coming twice a week for 4 months before I went away last year, and it still took until about the third day of 24/7 exposure after I'd gone for her to finally trust her. She's a friend too so didn't charge me for all those visits - I couldn't afford to go through that with a pro sitter!

This post has been edited by nikirushka: 17th Feb 2018, 9:38 am
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 17th Feb 2018, 2:26 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

I certainly wouldn't have anyone who could take as many as you've got Nikirushka rolleyes.gif

My friends were very good on two occasions in 2013 when I was rushed to hospital with mini strokes. I had recently lost Penny lab, so only had Ollie setter x and the four cats. My friend up the road took Ollie to her house to wait for my other friend to collect him, but had to leave food outside for my cats as they wouldn't go to other people.

I had to go into hospital just for an overnight stay for a tumour removal last year, but took my two present dogs to meet her several times beforehand as Charlie doesn't like strangers much.

Chris

This post has been edited by doggroomer: 17th Feb 2018, 2:27 pm
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2018 - 9:00 pm