2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Urgent Help Please
NW68
post 7th Feb 2018, 2:54 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 54100

Our elderly (almost 14y) Border Terrier girl is in the Vets on a drip. She has complete inappetence and I’m at a loss what foods to try next and I thought someone on here may have some ideas?

A bit of history....

Mine have all had a viral bug that’s been doing the rounds locally over the past 2 weeks, they seemed to come down with it in pairs, some had vomiting only, others had diarrhoea too. They were all unwell, lethargic for 48-72hrs.

Becky ate her supper on Saturday night as normal. Sunday morning she wouldn’t touch her breakfast. Temp was normal. She had one loose stool but that was all. She was totally flat out, no interest in anything. We were syringing rehydrate into her to prevent dehydration.

Monday morning she was seen at the Vets, very tender mid abdomen but temperature normal. Urine samples and bloods were all normal. Negative for pancreatitis. Not dehydrated.

She was scanned (3 different Vets) and xrayed - none of this revealed anything.

She was rushed back back with a rising temperature and laboured breathing (pain related) late Monday night and has been on pain meds/drip in the hospital ever since.

She’s not vomiting, doesn’t have diarrhoea but she will not touch food - any food - she just turns her face away from anything and this isn’t Becky!

She’s brighter in herself and the abdominal pain is now under control. She’s on Buprecare, Tramadol, Buscopan and Cerenia.

Can anyone give me any ideas of what else I could try?

I’ve got a marrow bone which I was going to boil up and see if she’d lick up the ‘soup’.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AnnS
post 7th Feb 2018, 3:19 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 1457

When we had our old cat she loved the sort scummy gravy off liver. Really smelly and sort of foamy with tiny bits of liver in it. Used to put the liver in a casserole dish then add water, cook then mash a wee drop liver up with a fork.
+Quote Post
ebd
post 7th Feb 2018, 3:41 pm
Post #3

Member No.: 9633

If it is an urgent situation, you might talk to your vet about using Remeron.

This is a drug that is actually an anti-depressant but has a side effect of being an appetite stimulant. It's used it in cases where a hospitalized dog refuses to eat and the usual physical causes have been ruled out. When there was a suspicion that refusing food was largely emotional (not uncommon when the animal is in the scary hospital, away from his people) they would try Remeron to 'jump start' eating. (Of course it would first be determined that there were no contraindications.)

Grabby had inappetence issues in his last year. Again, no physical reason could be found and all other signs said that he certainly wasn't giving up on life. (If that were the case we obviously would not have gone this far.) So when the bouts of inappetence hit we tried Remeron. And yes, it would indeed stimulate his appetite. During that year I used it as needed, not regularly, as a jump-start.

Remeron is a human drug, I don't know if it's used in the UK. But it's worth asking the vet, or asking if other appetite stimulant drugs might be appropriate in your little one's case. (Again, check for contraindications.)

---

I also used a liquid high calorie product, Nutribound by Virbac. Ideally the dog drinks this but it can be spritzed into the dog's mouth if needed. Used in convalescing dogs.

http://www.virbac.ch/de/kleintiere-produkt...mittel/Nut%20Hu

(If this is not available in the UK there must be something similar.)

---

For less urgent cases, Beaphar's Multivitamin Paste is a good way to get extra vitamins and calories in. It's highly palatable, much more so than the molasses-based pastes like Nutrical. In better days Grabby would eat it out of the tube when nothing else appealed, on bad days I would put a bit in his cheek, rub it in.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_hea...plements/138676

Sending lots and lots of hug.gif to your little girl.

This post has been edited by ebd: 7th Feb 2018, 3:46 pm
+Quote Post
ebd
post 7th Feb 2018, 4:08 pm
Post #4

Nutribound is indeed available in the UK, here's the link in English:

https://uk.virbac.com/nutribound
+Quote Post
mokee
post 7th Feb 2018, 4:46 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(ebd @ 7th Feb 2018, 3:41 pm) *

If it is an urgent situation, you might talk to your vet about using Remeron.
This is a drug that is actually an anti-depressant but has a side effect of being an appetite stimulant. It's used it in cases where a hospitalized dog refuses to eat and the usual physical causes have been ruled out. When there was a suspicion that refusing food was largely emotional (not uncommon when the animal is in the scary hospital, away from his people) they would try Remeron to 'jump start' eating. (Of course it would first be determined that there were no contraindications.)

Grabby had inappetence issues in his last year. Again, no physical reason could be found and all other signs said that he certainly wasn't giving up on life. (If that were the case we obviously would not have gone this far.) So when the bouts of inappetence hit we tried Remeron. And yes, it would indeed stimulate his appetite. During that year I used it as needed, not regularly, as a jump-start.

Remeron is a human drug, I don't know if it's used in the UK. But it's worth asking the vet, or asking if other appetite stimulant drugs might be appropriate in your little one's case. (Again, check for contraindications.)

---

I can confirm that it can be obtained from vets over here for anorexia in dogs, one of my oldies was prescribed it under the generic name of 'Mirtazapine' several years ago. It was very helpful in her case.
+Quote Post
rmykapa
post 7th Feb 2018, 8:49 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 34499

I really Becky is feeling better and eating well soon.
+Quote Post
NW68
post 8th Feb 2018, 10:59 am
Post #7

Thanks all.

Today she has no abdominal pain but is still not eating. Vets are suggesting we bring her home (started mirtazipine last night) and see how she fares. I’ve ordered convalescence foods.

Thank you all for the thoughts, greatly appreciated.
+Quote Post
ebd
post 8th Feb 2018, 8:55 pm
Post #8

Sending lots of hug.gif to Becky, and to you, too.

And sending 'bon apetit' thoughts as well.

hug.gif
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 16th Feb 2018, 8:30 am
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

QUOTE(NW68 @ 8th Feb 2018, 10:59 am) *

Thanks all.

Today she has no abdominal pain but is still not eating. Vets are suggesting we bring her home (started mirtazipine last night) and see how she fares. I’ve ordered convalescence foods.

Thank you all for the thoughts, greatly appreciated.

Hope she will pick up when home. One of my dogs, had to have an emergency op due to pyo, had to stay at the vet's because she was coming round very slow, was on a drip, but she would not eat. I visited, brought all the things she would wolf down, wouldnt touch them, she just cried and cried, it was heartbreaking! I was in bits!! I even brought chicken from McDonalds, she would normally do anything for one of those, nothing!

Vet finally suggested I bring her home, with all the meds and try that, as she was literally starving herself to death, she gotten soo very skinny.

Yup , as soon as she was home, she started eating again to my relief! Wouldnt leave my side and soon perked up being with the others and me wub.gif

Hoping she is just missing home and the company, and she will start eating again once home, hug.gif

+Quote Post
NW68
post 16th Feb 2018, 2:39 pm
Post #10

Update smile.gif

We got Becky home at the end of last week. She still wouldn’t eat, we were syringe feeding her all weekend and being honest beginning to wonder what the future held.

She was put onto steroids on Tuesday and has been eating with an ever better appetite since then. Obviously the steroids have created the appetite and we’re hoping they get her eating back to normal. We will begin to decrease them next week and see what happens.

The vet thinks there may be a tumour somewhere that they’re just not finding but for now we’re just happy that Becky is happy/eating etc.
+Quote Post
NW68
post 7th Mar 2018, 10:23 pm
Post #11

Happy news!

Becky is back to normal, eating, running around etc smile.gif

Just thought I’d update.