Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gnawing Bones And Swallowing Bits, Worried about swallowed bone particles
Saskia
post 29th Dec 2017, 8:26 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 23954

Amongst my Labrador’s many many gifts he received a cooked bone which he was delighted with. However, he very quickly demolished part of it and swallowed some of the bone shards. I quickly took it from him but am fretting tha he now has sharp pieces in his tummy that maybe won’t work their way through his system. Lots of folk have told me I shouldn’t worry as dogs have always eaten bones with no ill effects. Am I being silly ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 30th Dec 2017, 10:37 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 10854

No, you're right to worry. Cooked bones shouldn't be given to dogs for that reason. Raw non weight bearing bones are much safer. Hope he hasn't swallowed any big shards and the bits go right through. Raw bones don't splinter like cooked ones. If he shows signs of discomfort, I'd take him for xrays to be on the safe side.

Chris
+Quote Post
Saskia
post 31st Dec 2017, 8:14 am
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 23954

Thanks Chris,

No sign of any ill effects so far, but keeping a close eye on him.

How long do you think it would take for symptoms to manifest themselves if something were awry ? Could pieces of bone stay inside him for ever or can we assume that if he is showing no signs of discomfort that it has all has safely left him ?

+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 31st Dec 2017, 9:28 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

I'm not sure Saskia, as I suppose it depends on how big the pieces are. Dogs do eat cooked bones without problems, but there's always a chance that they could pierce the stomach lining/bowel, so I wouldn't give them to mine. Perhaps best to give the vet a call to check with them. I don't give pigs ears after my Lab got a chewed up one stuck in his throat and nearly choked on it (fortunately I was there and noticed quickly enough to get it out), but some dogs eat them all the time without getting them stuck.

Hope your dog suffers no ill effects anyway wub.gif

Chris
+Quote Post
Nutmeg
post 31st Dec 2017, 3:06 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 4767

Was it from a pet shop and meant for dogs?

I wouldn't worry too much, I should imagine their digestive juices are designed to cope with bones unlike pieces of plastic.

Mine used to eat the cooked knuckle bones and it would make their stools white and firm but otherwise did no harm.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 9:25 am