2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advice Please, 3 year old JRT needs rehoming
Saskia
post 18th Dec 2017, 8:03 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 23954

Iím desperately looking for some advice.
Iím aware of a little JRT that is in need of a new home but cannot seem to get the owner to bite the bullet and take it to a rescue.
The situation is that due to a relationship breakup the dog, a little girl, has been left with an elderly relative to take care of supposedly temporarily until alternative arrangements could me made. This temporary arrangement has now gone on for eighteen months. The dog is housed outdoors, and whilst well fed and kept clean has next to no interaction with people and no exercise. She is located over 50 miles away from me so I cannot play an active role in her day to day welfare and my work commitments prevent me from taking her on myself.
The owner makes the appropriate noises about finding her a new home but never follows it through.
With the weather the way it is and Christmas approaching itís tearing me apart as I feel my hands are tied. Iíve heard that The elderly carer is going away for Christmas too which makes it 100 times worse.
I have considered reporting it to the RSPCA in the hope that they will seize her but Iím told that if she has shelter, is clean and well fed they will not intervene.

Not sure what I expect you guys to advise, but Iím losing sleep over this and felt I had to pose the question. What on Earth can I do.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kimthecat
post 19th Dec 2017, 12:43 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 4804

Oh Poor dog . That sounds awful . sad.gif
Who is supposed to take care of the dog while the elderly carer away ?

Im sorry I dont have any advice .

could you say you could rehome the dog and then hand it to a rescue ?

This post has been edited by kimthecat: 19th Dec 2017, 12:44 am
+Quote Post
Saskia
post 19th Dec 2017, 1:57 am
Post #3

Thatís exactly my concern, whilst the old fella is away I know she will be fed by the owner, but to be left all alone for the whole Christmas holidays and into the new year is horrendous.
I was thinking along the lines you suggested and try to have her over Christmas and rehome her myself but I suspect the owner wonít be agreeable to that and as Iím not local to where she lives IĒm not able to collect her. The other issue is if I was able to get her owners consent and have her here with me when I return to work after Christmas I have no one to look after her. I travel an awful lot with work itís an impossible situation.
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 19th Dec 2017, 8:20 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 37943

What is your relationship with this person? Do you have to be diplomatic and coaxing or can you be blunt? JRTs are such busy little creatures that whilst his physical needs are being met his 'brain' needs aren't........
+Quote Post
Saskia
post 19th Dec 2017, 9:10 am
Post #5

I have to be diplomatic, believe me if I could scream and shout I would but there has been a recent bereavement in the family and all are grieving
+Quote Post
Saskia
post 19th Dec 2017, 9:14 am
Post #6

To an extent I can understand the owners view that he wants to do a private revoking so that he can vet the new Home himself and see where she is going but he doesnít seem to realise that during the interim thisdogs life is hell.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 19th Dec 2017, 9:58 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

QUOTE(Saskia @ 18th Dec 2017, 8:03 pm) *

I have considered reporting it to the RSPCA in the hope that they will seize her but Iím told that if she has shelter, is clean and well fed they will not intervene.

This is true but it does depend on the particulars of the care being given. It's a case close to my heart right now as I reported my neighbours last week for a dog living exactly that life - no interaction unless they needed to feed him or go outside for the bins, no exercise, not given anything to do, and he was shut outside overnight one night in subzero temperatures with no way to keep warm - he had no access to his kennel and it never had bedding in it anyway, and no coat on (thin fur). That last bit was what swayed them, in his case, even before I'd realised he couldn't actually get to the kennel at all. That night was the final straw for me.

In that instance, they came out to talk to her and she signed him over to them.

What is this little dog's shelter actually like, do you know? If it's not adequate then they may at least come out to have a chat to the carer (or you could ask them to, emphasising the lack of any stimulation etc that this dog has) and that may be enough to nudge things in the right direction. They have no powers to seize a dog but just their presence may be enough, either to improve things or as in my neighbour's dog, encourage them to sign him over.

Or you could try sending them this, which was linked for me when I first reported them:

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/p...t/livingoutside

And if any of that is absent then pointing it out to the RSPCA as it could push them to visit as well, if their own advice is not being followed.

This post has been edited by nikirushka: 19th Dec 2017, 9:59 am
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 19th Dec 2017, 11:32 am
Post #8

Member No.: 5985

ninja.gif Could you not snatch it and then take it to a rescue near you.

devil.gif Quite a few dogs get stolen from gardens!
+Quote Post
Saskia
post 19th Dec 2017, 2:30 pm
Post #9

The garden is very secure and spacious so from that perspective she is ok. I think I will try the RSPCA route it may give them the nudge they need to give her up
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 19th Dec 2017, 7:33 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 22692

When all else fails, resort to a good LIE.

Tell them you have decided to take the dog as you know someone who will care for her while you are away. Get her signed off to you and .... oh dear! 'Pet sitter became ill/had a change of circumstances and you had no other option but to hand her over to rescue'.

How can the current owner talk of vetting a new owner when they are dreadful themselves. Sounds more like lethargy or bloody mindedness to me.

Ange
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 19th Dec 2017, 7:34 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 22692

When all else fails, resort to a good LIE.

Tell them you have decided to take the dog as you know someone who will care for her while you are away. Get her signed off to you and .... oh dear! 'Pet sitter became ill/had a change of circumstances and you had no other option but to hand her over to rescue'.

How can the current owner talk of vetting a new owner when they are dreadful themselves. Sounds more like lethargy or bloody mindedness to me.

Ange
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 20th Dec 2017, 12:34 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

I am liking that lie smile.gif
+Quote Post
Saskia
post 20th Dec 2017, 5:02 pm
Post #13

Thank the Lord, without any prompting or subterfuge by myself the owner has decided to take her to a rescue this fridsy. Now Iím just praying that they have space for her what with it being Christmas. Makes my blood boil this could have been done ages ago. At least in rescue she will have company and some interaction with people.

Thanks to all who have tried to help and give advice. Please keep fingers crossed that she has a space.
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 22nd Dec 2017, 4:13 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 37943

I do hope this little one is in warm rescue kennel tonight.
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 23rd Dec 2017, 8:45 am
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 2147

I hope the rescue had room and he is now warm and safe.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 9:17 am