IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Insurance, Which company/cover is best?
cindere528
post 8th Dec 2017, 10:06 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 5946

Vera's insurance is due for renewal next week. The renewal notice says it has gone up from 22 per month to 26. The cover is excellent though, it covers up to 8,000 per year per condition. After Betsy, I know how easy it is to get up to many thousands of if a dog becomes ill. At present, Vera's insurance is with More Than.

Just wondering which company & what amount of cover other people have unsure.gif
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mokee
post 8th Dec 2017, 3:56 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

I have Dogs Trust 3rd party insurance, 25 per year. Don't have any health insurance for the dogs at all, but do have savings and credit card in case of emergency.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 8th Dec 2017, 6:04 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

Petplan. Not the cheapest but the cover is excellent and they have always been kind and helpful when i have needed them.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 8th Dec 2017, 6:26 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I think you've got yourself a really good deal there. 8k per condition per year is really good cover for that price, and More Than have a lot of good reviews for pet insurance.

My insured dogs are with Aviva, pretty good cover for the price, but if I could afford it they'd be with Petplan.
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 9th Dec 2017, 2:38 pm
Post #5

Group: Member
Member No.: 10491

I have Murphy with Morethan for around 25 pounds. Not sure of the exact amount. I changed from Tesco as they they doubled his premium last year from twenty something to forty something. He is 13 with no claims history.

A new online quote was again in the twenties but I went with Morethan for the same premium.

Cleo was with AXA and had cruciate surgery so had to saty with NCI. However her monthly premium is also in the low twenties and went down about 60 annually at renewal in July.
+Quote Post
margaret2280
post 9th Dec 2017, 5:42 pm
Post #6

Member No.: 59234

QUOTE(cindere528 @ 8th Dec 2017, 11:06 am) *

Vera's insurance is due for renewal next week. The renewal notice says it has gone up from 22 per month to 26. The cover is excellent though, it covers up to 8,000 per year per condition. After Betsy, I know how easy it is to get up to many thousands of if a dog becomes ill. At present, Vera's insurance is with More Than.

Just wondering which company & what amount of cover other people have unsure.gif

I used Morethan for over twenty years and I always found them very helpful and friendly.

Unfortunately my latest Rottweiler which I lost just over twelve months ago was on permanent medication for his legs and he had two cruciate operations and an elbow problem I have always paid my premiums annually and I paid when it was about seventeen hundred pounds but the following year it went up another nine hundred pounds and as much as I wanted to pay I had to cancel as I am on my own and couldn't afford it.

I have been so heartbroken about losing my dog I haven't got another one yet.
+Quote Post
hazzy1066
post 9th Dec 2017, 6:05 pm
Post #7

Member No.: 21200

I have used Petplan for years with various dogs. Never had any problems and I've made many claims.
+Quote Post
Athel
post 10th Dec 2017, 4:54 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 46906

Douglas and the cats are with petplan on a 7k policy.

Fleet was with nci after the AXA debacle and I have to say they were very good. After blowing through nearly her full 7k allowance in a little over 6 weeks before we lost her I wanted to go with a bigger limit for Brighouse so looked at petplan who wanted 70 a month for their 12k policy. NCI were just under half that amount for the same cover so we went with nci instead. Having been with both companies for a number of years previously I would say that both pay out although petplan tend to pay out quicker. However both occasions I have had issues with having to chase a claim were with petplan not nci.
+Quote Post
natbest
post 10th Dec 2017, 9:00 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 49122

Mine went up to 73 a month for both dogs in march this year,considering both had only tiny lumps (one fatty, one ingrowing hair) removed costing less than 400 each and not with last insurer(co op) I just couldn't justify paying it anymore. So I now put 200 a month into a savings account purely for them, so far I've got 2400 which is not too bad, I'm keeping going til I've around 5/6000, both dogs are under 7kg and I've had discussions with vet as to various costs of things so know this is a good amount. Plus of course I've credit card and other savings for emergencies. I'm also with dogs trust too for their 3rd party cover. I'm not sure I'll ever get dog insurance again to be honest, but you do have to be determined to save, so in a way I have, I'm my own insurer. lol.gif

This post has been edited by natbest: 10th Dec 2017, 9:00 pm
+Quote Post
Athel
post 14th Dec 2017, 2:13 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 46906

I think dog insurance is a gamble in a lot of ways. As it currently stands I paid about 2.5k for Fleets insurance and claimed around 9k, Douglas has paid around 3.5k and claimed around 6k, the cats have a joint policy that I only took out once they were a bit older so we've paid about 1k and claimed around 3k for Pip and a couple of hundred for Mamma Cat. We're thousands in the black at the moment but I know lots of people who have barely touched their insurance.
+Quote Post
cindere528
post 15th Dec 2017, 9:05 am
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 5946

Thanks for all the advice flowers.gif

As I suspected, the cover of up to 8k per condition is quite good for the price, so I'm sticking with More Than.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 9:19 am