Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Live Vaccines
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 9th Aug 2017, 9:45 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 5985

Do vets still use live vaccines for puppies and what to they now vaccinate against?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 9th Aug 2017, 1:47 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

The kennel cough one is a live vaccine, I'm not sure about the others though.
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 9th Aug 2017, 3:51 pm
Post #3

Member No.: 10491

It might depend on what make of vaccine your vet uses.

Information on Nobivac vaccine

http://www.nobivac.ca/nobivac-canine-vaccines.asp
+Quote Post
melbury
post 18th Aug 2017, 8:05 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 7874

There is so much controversy about the Lepto4 vaccine, that our puppy didn't have it.

+Quote Post
ebd
post 19th Aug 2017, 1:23 pm
Post #5

Member No.: 9633

QUOTE(melbury @ 18th Aug 2017, 8:05 pm) *

There is so much controversy about the Lepto4 vaccine, that our puppy didn't have it.

Might I ask, what is the controversy with Lepto 4?

I'm curious as I have never heard much controversy over the Lepto 6 vaccine we use in Switzerland, other than from the generic anti-vaxxers.

I live in an area (in Switzerland) that is extremely high risk for lepto, the disease is usually fatal. My own vet has seen six cases of Lepto this year, all from unvaccinated dogs, all died. Perhaps that's why there is not much controversy here, the prevalence of the vector is so high in my area that dog owners live in dread of this horrid disease. Even Fraulein Nora, who due to her epilepsy is not routinely given all the vacs, is vaccinated against Lepto.

Is Lepto 6 not available in the UK?
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 19th Aug 2017, 5:28 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 46944

No, ebd, we are very lucky here that we don't see so many of the lepto serovars as in Europe. Many vets are still using lepto2. There have been dogs who have been infected with the other types of lepto which are coming in from Europe though.
The information I have seen does not support lepto4 being any worse in terms of side effects than other vaccines. Anything new gets more reports initially, and I think that is the case here. Combined with the internet, where every drug has its own Facebook group for people who have seen adverse reactions, I think people probably worry more than is needed.
But most people in the UK haven't seen a dog with lepto due to vaccination. I have seen two. It isn't very nice.
+Quote Post
melbury
post 20th Aug 2017, 5:18 pm
Post #7

Member No.: 7874

QUOTE(ebd @ 19th Aug 2017, 2:23 pm) *

Might I ask, what is the controversy with Lepto 4?

I'm curious as I have never heard much controversy over the Lepto 6 vaccine we use in Switzerland, other than from the generic anti-vaxxers.

I live in an area (in Switzerland) that is extremely high risk for lepto, the disease is usually fatal. My own vet has seen six cases of Lepto this year, all from unvaccinated dogs, all died. Perhaps that's why there is not much controversy here, the prevalence of the vector is so high in my area that dog owners live in dread of this horrid disease. Even Fraulein Nora, who due to her epilepsy is not routinely given all the vacs, is vaccinated against Lepto.

Is Lepto 6 not available in the UK?

I looked into it in detail before taking this decision.

We have only got up to Lepto4 at the moment in the UK, but apparently there are a couple of hundred strains of Lepto and from what I have read the vaccine is a live bacteria that is only effective for about six months anyway.

A vet told me years ago that the kennel cough vaccine is pretty ineffective, but of course they can't go into kennels without having had that.

I wouldn't try and influence anybody; what you do and don't vaccinate against is entirely a personal decision. However, I do think we have been led down the road of "over vaccinating" for many years.
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 20th Aug 2017, 7:45 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

QUOTE(melbury @ 20th Aug 2017, 6:18 pm) *

I looked into it in detail before taking this decision.

We have only got up to Lepto4 at the moment in the UK, but apparently there are a couple of hundred strains of Lepto and from what I have read the vaccine is a live bacteria that is only effective for about six months anyway.

A vet told me years ago that the kennel cough vaccine is pretty ineffective, but of course they can't go into kennels without having had that.

I wouldn't try and influence anybody; what you do and don't vaccinate against is entirely a personal decision. However, I do think we have been led down the road of "over vaccinating" for many years.

Dogs can go into boarding kennels without having been vaccinated for kenel cough rolleyes.gif so whether you are tryng to influence or not that incorrect fact would make me doubt the rest of your information.

For instance the duration of immunity (DOI) for leptospirosis vaccines has been shown to be at least 12 months, ... (Sykes et al., 2010; Klassen et al., 2014; Schuller et al., 2015b)

I would however agree it is a personal decision but for me its vital that the information used to make that decision is able to be backed up.
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 21st Aug 2017, 10:22 am
Post #9

Member No.: 10491

My dogs are kenneled regulary but do not get vaccinated against KC- despite my vet trying to persuade me.

The kennel owner, who is very pro vaccination, does not require it but, if given , it must be at least two weeks before coming into the kennels.

He has never had an outbreak KC.

The kennels I used at my last address also had the same protocol.

My vet still uses Lepto2.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 1:55 am