IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Agility In Lancashire (anywhere Between Liverpool And Preston), Recommendations
Kanie
post 23rd Jan 2017, 3:04 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 15191

Can anyone recommend an agility club, or agility training in Lancashire? I'm looking for a place where:

I can go and observe a class first, without my dog and without committing to anything. I want to see happy dogs and happy handlers!

Training is in small groups and the trainers tailor their teaching methods to each individual dog/handler partnership

I'm not especially worried whether it is a club that works towards competitive agility, or fun agility, but it is really important to me that it's friendly and welcoming.

I wouldn't want to go to a club where the dogs appear really 'wound-up' and noisy.

Many years ago, I went to a brilliant club where beginners were introduced to all the equipment in a really safe and positive way in a small group and my dog and I had great fun, so I'm looking for something similar. We're at the 'wrong end' of the NW for that club now sad.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
asher241
post 23rd Jan 2017, 3:47 pm
Post #2

Member No.: 58149

West Lancs do it at Formby - www.dogtrainer.co.uk, my friend Jane does it indoors at www.waggawuffins.com but that's Bury, depends how far you want to travel and where you are living, have you looked at www.agilitynet.co.uk and the kennel club list of clubs?
+Quote Post
Kanie
post 23rd Jan 2017, 4:46 pm
Post #3

Thanks, that's really kind. I've looked at the KC lists, but it doesn't really give the detail I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, Bury is way too far to travel and I've already ruled out Formby - but thanks anyway - hopefully someone else reading the thread will follow up the leads smile.gif
+Quote Post
Kanie
post 23rd Jan 2017, 5:34 pm
Post #4

I thought I'd better just make it clear that I ruled out Formby on account of the time it takes to travel there and nothing else - just in case anyone is wondering or worrying!
+Quote Post
mum24dog
post 27th Jan 2017, 12:35 pm
Post #5

Group: Member.
Member No.: 9849

I would say that wherever you go the group ought to be run by someone who is au fait with current agility training methods and rules, preferably someone who does compete to a reasonable standard. Someone who last competed ten years ago may not fit the bill.

All training ought to be done safely and in a way that would put dog and handler in the position of being able to compete if they so decide further down the line.

As for dogs being wound up and noisy, we tend to find that is very rare in beginner classes.

Sorry I can't recommend anywhere. My patch is north of the Ribble and I don't have as much knowledge of clubs and private groups further south.
+Quote Post
Kanie
post 30th Jan 2017, 7:09 pm
Post #6

QUOTE(mum24dog @ 27th Jan 2017, 12:35 pm) *

I would say that wherever you go the group ought to be run by someone who is au fait with current agility training methods and rules, preferably someone who does compete to a reasonable standard. Someone who last competed ten years ago may not fit the bill.

All training ought to be done safely and in a way that would put dog and handler in the position of being able to compete if they so decide further down the line.

As for dogs being wound up and noisy, we tend to find that is very rare in beginner classes.

Sorry I can't recommend anywhere. My patch is north of the Ribble and I don't have as much knowledge of clubs and private groups further south.

smile.gif That's really helpful to know - thanks.
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 6th Feb 2017, 1:13 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 6759

There is a great group, just on the other side of the Runcorn bridge. They do all the things you like and more smile.gif

K9 Bratz Possible too much out of the way?
+Quote Post
Kanie
post 6th Feb 2017, 4:09 pm
Post #8

smile.gif I've just looked at the K9 Bratz website and it does look fantastic. I'm going to keep checking the seminars, but to commit to weekly classes, it would be just a bit too far away.

I've got 3 dogs and I'm only interested in agility with one of them, so I still have to factor in exercise and training with the other 2, as well as working full time (I work mainly from home) so I have to be realistic about how much time it will take, including travel and whether I can actually make the classes if I'm working in another location.

I was hoping for something less than half an hour away, but after lots of looking and investigating, it just isn't possible. Oh well, we'll have to think of something else!

Thanks to all who have made suggestions x
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 7th Feb 2017, 10:47 am
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 6759

QUOTE(Kanie @ 6th Feb 2017, 4:09 pm) *

smile.gif I've just looked at the K9 Bratz website and it does look fantastic. I'm going to keep checking the seminars, but to commit to weekly classes, it would be just a bit too far away.

I've got 3 dogs and I'm only interested in agility with one of them, so I still have to factor in exercise and training with the other 2, as well as working full time (I work mainly from home) so I have to be realistic about how much time it will take, including travel and whether I can actually make the classes if I'm working in another location.

I was hoping for something less than half an hour away, but after lots of looking and investigating, it just isn't possible. Oh well, we'll have to think of something else!

Thanks to all who have made suggestions x

Same here smile.gif I may go again in the summer, when its lighter and I get the chance to take the others out, before going to the agility, but same for me, 30 minutes drive easily, providing the traffic is not too bad sad.gif
+Quote Post
asher241
post 7th Feb 2017, 10:55 am
Post #10

Member No.: 58149

Not sure exactly what your area is but there is www.fyldeagility.co.uk, they seem to use a couple of venues.
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 8th Feb 2017, 11:50 am
Post #11

Member No.: 10491

I don't know if anything in this thread helps

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=228241

+Quote Post
Kanie
post 9th Feb 2017, 6:40 pm
Post #12

QUOTE(asher241 @ 7th Feb 2017, 10:55 am) *

Not sure exactly what your area is but there is www.fyldeagility.co.uk, they seem to use a couple of venues.

QUOTE(Dalsmum @ 8th Feb 2017, 11:50 am) *

I don't know if anything in this thread helps

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=228241

smile.gif Lots to investigate there for the future - thank you.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 2:45 am