IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Is He Now Noise Phobic?, Getting steadliy worse over the past year
Tigger27
post 16th Nov 2016, 7:45 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 22456

Hello smile.gif I cant remember how long it has been since I last posted on here but I am in need of some help/advice please.
My terrier mix, Dave, has always been pretty bomb proof, not bothered by much, goes everywhere with me but in the last year or so has become increasingly noise phobic. He has gone from being a confident dog who would go anywhere, do anything, sit in the garden and watch fireworks, sleep through thunderstorms, to being a nervous, worried little thing who wont walk along certain roads because there was noisy building work in that spot last month/terrified of thunderstorms/fireworks to the point where he pants, paces, shakes and cant settle sad.gif I cant think of anything in particular that has happened to him to give him such a bad association with noise, the only thing I can think is that now he is getting older(we think he is around 10yrs ish) maybe he has issues with his hearing that makes him more susceptible?
Any ideas/help/advice greatly appreciated, thankyou in advance and sorry for rambling smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 16th Nov 2016, 8:16 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

Sometimes as hearing goes it can trigger these problems, I think because the acoustics of the environment begin to alter and sound strange.

Alternatively, medical things can bring it on - has he been checked out, including thyroid? I've got one who's become worried about fireworks where she never was before, and that's my suspicion as like Dave, there was no trigger for it. I'll be getting her checked as soon as I can afford to.
+Quote Post
TheBeardedOne
post 16th Nov 2016, 8:18 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 51715

My thoughts would be hearing or eyesight.

Greydog lost a lot of her vision in old(er) age and became increasingly unnerved by traffic.
+Quote Post
mokee
post 16th Nov 2016, 8:38 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

I'm going through something very similar with Sprocket at the moment - he's recently been diagnosed with Collie Eye Anomaly and is losing his vision. If I were you I'd be making an appointment with your vet.
+Quote Post
Tigger27
post 16th Nov 2016, 9:29 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 22456

Thankyou smile.gif We've had to go to the vets a few times in the last few months and he had his eyes checked, absolutely fine apparently, as is the rest of him(now hes recovered from a nasty bout of tonsilitis!) Will pop him down to the vets again to see if they can have another prod and see if anything is going on ear wise, a few people have said their dogs went a bit funny with sounds as they got older, could be that my little scruffpot is just getting old err.gif
If it is that, getting older, losing/changing hearing, is there anything I can do to help him feel a bit more secure. I hate seeing him so worried about stuff he never used to worry about sad.gif
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 17th Nov 2016, 11:52 am
Post #6

Group: Member
Member No.: 10491

Murphy is 11 years old.
Since he was 16 weeks old Murphy has accompanied us when my husband goes target shooting up in the hills.

The first few occasions we parked away from the firing point and gradually moved closer and he has never reacted to the noise.

Last month he was fine until one walk when he cowed and hung back after the first shot was fired. When we turned back he raced back to the car and dived into the boot.

In the afternoon I went to walk the same way and he would not go through the gate to the path although there was no firing at the time. He was quite happy to walk the other way.

He was also quite happy to be in the car park while shooting was going on.

I do know his hearing is going as he no longer hears noises behind him. He has to be side on or facing us to hear us speak.

He didn't react when the shot was fired but jumped at the 'crack' from the displaced air afterwards. I wonder if the noise was not so apparent to him before when he heard all the background noise that he no longer hears.

At the car park or walking the other way you didn't hear the crack, just the shot as the gun was fired which is not such a sharp sound.
+Quote Post
Fever
post 17th Nov 2016, 5:28 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 37085

QUOTE(Tigger27 @ 16th Nov 2016, 9:29 pm) *

Thankyou smile.gif We've had to go to the vets a few times in the last few months and he had his eyes checked, absolutely fine apparently, as is the rest of him(now hes recovered from a nasty bout of tonsilitis!) Will pop him down to the vets again to see if they can have another prod and see if anything is going on ear wise, a few people have said their dogs went a bit funny with sounds as they got older, could be that my little scruffpot is just getting old err.gif
If it is that, getting older, losing/changing hearing, is there anything I can do to help him feel a bit more secure. I hate seeing him so worried about stuff he never used to worry about sad.gif

The tonislitis could well have trigged it - ear, nose and throat are intimately connected anatomically.

+Quote Post
traceymcl
post 17th Nov 2016, 6:59 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 6485

Could he have a bit of arthritis? Pain is associated with anxiety and a dog who's getting older and has become anxious as you describe could well be sore.
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 3rd Dec 2016, 10:32 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 22692

I was interested to read this thread as my 10 yrs old BT cross has started freaking out at noises on the TV, in particular applause and shrill bells/buzzers.

So I can no longer watch QI, Have I Got News For You or University Challenge to name but a few. If I forget she looks very worried and asks to sit on my knee or leaves the room. But it's not that important to me to watch them so I switch over. She has arthritis so that would explain the change in her. She used to be unflappable and very confident. But then as an 'older person' I can identify with the loss of courage and confidence in certain situations.
(errr I've got arthritis too ohmy.gif ) Ange

This post has been edited by Auntie Ange: 3rd Dec 2016, 10:34 pm
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 8:28 am