IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Training Treats, What floats your dog's boat
Louwra
post 14th Oct 2016, 7:15 pm
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 6759

QUOTE(woofgang @ 13th Oct 2016, 11:15 am) *

have you tried the slow baked meat? its different from cold cooked meat, the smell is mouthwatering!

Will be on the lookout for that! Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 14th Oct 2016, 9:17 pm
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

QUOTE(Louwra @ 14th Oct 2016, 8:15 pm) *

Will be on the lookout for that! Thanks!

louwra you have to slow bake it yourself. I buy chopped turkey thing as its the cheapest and leanest and slow bake it in the oven.
+Quote Post
Fever
post 15th Oct 2016, 7:40 am
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 37085

Woofgang, what gas setting do you use and for how long? Would it work to slow cook it on the bone and then strip the meat off?
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 15th Oct 2016, 8:31 am
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

No Fever, it ends up dry and hard, you’d never get the bone out after cooking, could take it off the bone first. I cook in in bulk, six packs at a time divided into two baking trays. 200c c for about 20 mins then turn down to 120c for several hours. It depends very much how much you are cooking at once and how wet the meat is. When its done, its very hard indeed and dark brown but not burned.
+Quote Post
Bayleiboy
post 15th Oct 2016, 9:26 am
Post #20

Group: Member
Member No.: 45386

QUOTE(Louwra @ 13th Oct 2016, 7:32 am) *

Tried the livercake, cant cope with the smell. Ollie is very fussy, and I have tried everything! Cheese, cooked chicked, turkey, liverpaste in a tube, squeeze cheese, shop bought silly treats, nothing works. When I take him to Pets@Home, they like to give him a treat, he takes it, spits it out!! lol.gif The only treat that will do it for him is the puffed jerky from Asda, I got a pair of strong secateurs and cut the pieces, to use as small treats for on the walk. Most of the time he will come back for that, in the secured field. OUt in the woods, nada! Only squirrel shaped will get his attention! rolleyes.gif

The other two are gannets, eat anything lol.gif

Lol. I read this and didn't look who posted it but guessed by the mention of squirrels it was you!
+Quote Post
juicy500
post 15th Oct 2016, 1:20 pm
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 38837

I used to get squirrels for my dogs from the guy who supplied us with rabbits and such. He had a licence to shoot rabbits and rodents for pest control. Many folks who do the same, just chuck the dead animals in the undergrowth mad.gif err.gif (guess they are only in it for the fun of shooting something) , instead he'd take them with him, skin them and cook them and make stews and stuff. The surplus he had (he didn't hunt loads or anything), he'd give to me for the dogs.
They'd stay in my freezer for a while and then the dogs would enjoy them.

My wee girlie used to love crunching up a squirrel (a skinned one obviously) for her tea.
There's an idea for you Louwra!

Seriously now...

Liver, lungs, heart (dehydrated or baked).

Liver cake or tuna cake (non- flour or wheat recipe).

Cocktail sausages (for some reason one of mine loves these more than anything else).

+Quote Post
Fever
post 15th Oct 2016, 1:44 pm
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 37085

QUOTE(woofgang @ 15th Oct 2016, 9:31 am) *

No Fever, it ends up dry and hard, you’d never get the bone out after cooking, could take it off the bone first. I cook in in bulk, six packs at a time divided into two baking trays. 200c c for about 20 mins then turn down to 120c for several hours. It depends very much how much you are cooking at once and how wet the meat is. When its done, its very hard indeed and dark brown but not burned.

Ah, ok I can see,why you buy the pieces rather than on the bone. Will definitely try that one.

I should add that my dogs do all get the zoomies off lead - the Lurcher especially - but it doesn't happen the minute the lead comes off. There's a bit of mooching and stretching and then usually a play signal from my little collie and they're off. There's no greater pleasure I think than seeing dogs built to run do what they are made for - Funktionslust at its best!
+Quote Post
redhelen
post 15th Oct 2016, 6:29 pm
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 28083

Ted is brilliant off lead and his recall is good. It's more for in a high distraction environment (obedience club) where he sometines decides he wants to go talk to his friends. I think the liver cake etc is definitely worth a try smile.gif
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 16th Oct 2016, 11:16 am
Post #24

Member No.: 10491

QUOTE(redhelen @ 15th Oct 2016, 7:29 pm) *
Ted is brilliant off lead and his recall is good. It's more for in a high distraction environment (obedience club) where he sometines decides he wants to go talk to his friends. I think the liver cake etc is definitely worth a try smile.gif

All his friends will want to your friend if you have liver cake lol.gif
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 16th Oct 2016, 7:59 pm
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

QUOTE(woofgang @ 14th Oct 2016, 10:17 pm) *

louwra you have to slow bake it yourself. I buy chopped turkey thing as its the cheapest and leanest and slow bake it in the oven.

AH! Great, I will give it a try, chopped turkey is just about do-able. Being veggie, I am not good in handling raw meat!

ah and thanks Juicy!! That would be a big ohno.gif !! Tbh I doubt Ollie would know what to do with a squirrel, if he caught one. He did get one by the tail a while back lol big foot on the squirrels tail, he wasn't going anywhere lol.gif Ollie looks around to me, as if to say : 'Now what !??' Once he lifted his foot, he squirrel was up the tree, never to be seen again lol

lol.gif @ Baileyboy
+Quote Post
Bayleiboy
post 19th Oct 2016, 9:45 pm
Post #26

Member No.: 45386

QUOTE(Louwra @ 16th Oct 2016, 8:59 pm) *

AH! Great, I will give it a try, chopped turkey is just about do-able. Being veggie, I am not good in handling raw meat!
ah and thanks Juicy!! That would be a big ohno.gif !! Tbh I doubt Ollie would know what to do with a squirrel, if he caught one. He did get one by the tail a while back lol big foot on the squirrels tail, he wasn't going anywhere lol.gif Ollie looks around to me, as if to say : 'Now what !??' Once he lifted his foot, he squirrel was up the tree, never to be seen again lol

lol.gif @ Baileyboy

I'm quite lucky that poppy is obsessed with hunting for things on or in the ground rather than up trees. I don't know what she would do if she saw a squirrel.
+Quote Post
jobadger
post 22nd Dec 2016, 5:49 am
Post #27

Group Icon

Member No.: 40540

Shouldn't have read this topic with a blinding headache and (slightly) upset tum unsure.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by jobadger: 22nd Dec 2016, 5:50 am
+Quote Post
Susieh
post 22nd Dec 2016, 8:00 pm
Post #28

Member No.: 12218

Diz will never turn down anything edible but for whistle recalls only (she's mainly deaf but whistle gets through to her most of the time) she gets a piece of the pets @ home sausage - the ones which come in packs of 4. She would pretty much do anything in the world for a piece of that sausage. For recalls which don't involve the whistle she just gets a tiny piece of biscuit, which is effective enough most of the time, but the whistle one is what I'd use in an emergency.

She's got the chase drive of a peanut, but the scavenging drive of a coyote - so her trigger is anything she can find to gobble down on walks. Anything from fallen fruit to cat/fox/horse/cow/sheep poo and any suspect piece of litter. So I have to be vigilant, but I'm 100% happy to rely on food for getting her back. She doesn't always need it (I can go weeks between whistle recalls) but having something she values more than what she can scavenge is important for my peace of mind.

She doesn't play & doesn't like praise or attention (it worries her sad.gif ) so food is it for her. She doesn't do zoomies & isn't much fussed whether she's on lead or off but I like for her to have some offlead time regularly - I just have to be careful where & when to manage her scavenging urges as best as possible.

A friend who had a lab which struggled with recall, swore by the tubes of primula cheese/ham.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2017 - 7:59 am