IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If You Receive A Pm Or An Email....., ..as a result of your post in this forum
Bevd
post 17th Sep 2004, 10:46 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 4

If you post in this forum offering a home to a dog or pup and as a result, you receive a PM from anybody (rescue or individual) saying they might have a suitable dog for you - please go back to your thread and post the details of who has contacted you (rescue name if its a rescue or member name if its an individual who doesn't represent a rescue).

No reputable rescue will mind this happening and no individual who has the best intentions and is working within DP's guidelines will mind this either smile.gif

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bevd
post 12th May 2005, 11:20 pm
Post #2

A reminder to please read the details above and post anything necessary in your thread smile.gif
+Quote Post
doggyvonne
post 11th Oct 2005, 4:45 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 16608

I did have a pm from a member asking me to ring them to discuss a matter I raised here but I joined this forum to use it and so if anybody has a response to my messages please speak to me through this forum or by email. Broad band costs nothing, phone calls cost a lot and like many I would rather not make personal contact with other members early on.
+Quote Post
xaraworlds
post 11th Oct 2005, 4:47 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 5218

QUOTE (doggyvonne @ 11 Oct 2005, 05:45 pm)
I did have a pm from a member asking me to ring them to discuss a matter I raised here but I joined this forum to use it and so if anybody has a response to my messages please speak to me through this forum or by email. Broad band costs nothing, phone calls cost a lot and like many I would rather not make personal contact with other members early on.

unsure.gif unsure.gif

--------------------
Hope Rescue
www.hoperescue.org.uk
+Quote Post
muckypups
post 12th May 2006, 6:01 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 14683

If you post in this forum offering a home to a dog or pup and as a result, you receive a PM from anybody (rescue or individual) saying they might have a suitable dog for you - please go back to your thread and post the details of who has contacted you (rescue name if its a rescue or member name if its an individual who doesn't represent a rescue).

No reputable rescue will mind this happening and no individual who has the best intentions and is working within DP's guidelines will mind this either

Totally agree with this... I can understand what doggyvonne means here, as i know rescue folks who work that way.... Dont agree with it personally, should be done on the thread open and above board following Dp guildlines. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Deem
post 16th Jul 2006, 1:43 pm
Post #6

Member No.: 22457

I don't understand the language you use, this is the first time I have used any form of web chat line, so I have found it difficult to find my way around the site. I don't know what a thread is. I don't know if I need to add information from e-mails I have received or if you want to view the full correspondence. I have found it difficult where people have not put links in to find the dog they are referring to.
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 23rd Jan 2009, 1:39 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 37943

Please may I ask a couple of questions about pm-ing/e mailing?

I have come across two situations when it didn't seem right to post publically about dogs needing homes.

The first (which has happened a couple of times) is when the dog is on a site that also has commercial interests and so the link becomes a refer to moderators. I understand the rationale behind not wanting to advertise such sites but how do we alert the looker to the dog in such cases? A pm or e mail seems most appropriate in those cases as it may get a rescue dog rehomed but won't publicise the site. Do we advise him/her to google words that we know will lead them to the site or do you not want such dogs rehomed via dog pages?

Secondly, and this won't happen often, what if I spot a private rehoming (in the case I am thinking of advertised as a registered charity rescue) which gives private phone numbers of the current human? I know you don't like personal numbers on here so what's the advice?

Many thanks.

ETA Please move this if it is in the wrong place

This post has been edited by lolbeck: 23rd Jan 2009, 1:40 pm
+Quote Post
Barb
post 23rd Jan 2009, 1:47 pm
Post #8

Member No.: 596

We prefer that dogs are reccomended off Dogpages, and not other websites, forums tbh. That way, we know they are fairly likely to be current, and not out of date. If you are going to promote rescues that are 'refer to moderator' then there is usually a good reason why we dont want to promote them. Using Dogpages to promote these sources via pm or e mail is very underhand, when its obvious we dont want them publicised.

As for your second point, I dont understand it. unsure.gif
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 23rd Jan 2009, 2:02 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Thats fine re rescues - though I wouldn't have considered my actions 'very underhand' or promoting dodgy sites - the one I am thinking of includes the majority of current rescues on dogpages but is a central 'by breed' rescue dog resource.

The second point related to a particular breed/age/sex of dog that I knew someone on here was looking for. Went to The Ark open day and there was a poster up about exact match dog that someone was rehoming privately as she was emigrating. The poster was up with the rescue's blessing but the rehoming was not being co-ordinated by the rescue. (I guess one could see similar ads in vets etc where private contact details are given on a poster displayed in a public place but I know you don't like phone numbers on here.)

Should I have put all those details on the thread and given the OP the option of contacting mwe for more details?

Am I making any more sense???????

+Quote Post
Barb
post 23rd Jan 2009, 2:06 pm
Post #10

Yes, that makes sense. You post the details asking if they want the contact number, then its upto the OP to respond. We hope that initial searches are done on DP first of course. smile.gif

+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 23rd Jan 2009, 2:33 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Thank you smile.gif
+Quote Post
Bevd
post 26th Jan 2009, 5:26 pm
Post #12

I just want to add another bit to what Barb said.

There are lots and lots of rescue centres all over the country - but many of them CHOOSE not to promote their dogs via DP (or any other forum) and there can be many reasons for that. One example is because they may only want to receive enquiries from local people and not from people at far flung corners of the country.

So we do ask that people only give links to dogs belonging to rescues who already post here smile.gif

You could always contact rescues who don't post here and make them aware of us so that they can join us if they wish to smile.gif
+Quote Post
BevP
post 27th Jan 2009, 1:23 pm
Post #13

Member No.: 42989

I have received a response to a posting but don't know how to respond. I don't want to appear rude (to them) so I'd rather look stupid and ask 'where are the instructions for using the forum?!' I fear my lack of technical savvy may prevent me from adopting a dog!

Thanks (in anticipation)

BevP
+Quote Post
Barb
post 27th Jan 2009, 1:45 pm
Post #14

If its a response on your topic that you want to reply to, then click 'add reply', as you have done here. If its a pm, then click on New Messages, next to My Controls, top right hand corner of the whole page, under the blue banner, open the pm, and click 'reply' to respond. smile.gif
+Quote Post
audrey hubery
post 26th Feb 2009, 2:55 pm
Post #15

Member No.: 42646

Hello centurian she is lovely i would like you to e mail me nozac.hubery@googlemail.com i have some pics. from my fosterer Thank You Audrey
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 12:53 pm