IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Please!
Poppy_Delight
post 10th Dec 2017, 9:49 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 37093

i have 2 boys dogs, a pommy (reggie) and a shorkie (freddie) both live at home together generally get on well have had a few fights over food so i know not to put them in any situation that can cause a fight.

i often go to stay at my moms she has 3 dogs herself her shorkie (stanley) is freddies brother.
they are ALWAYS fighting. Both are coming off with cuts bleeding. its not very nice to see and quite hard to break up. Sometimes it seems they are play fighting then it turns serious. This morning my freddie started on my moms maltese and was obviously getting the better of her. i told him off and hes now asleep in the crate.

i really dont want to rehome freddie but i am soo worried that hes going to really harm one of the dogs, hes the biggest of them all. hes so loving towards us and just wants a fuss and to sit close to you.

i also have a toddler so its worrying if he ever turned on him although i dont think he would you just never know so im always watching them if theyre together.

is there any type of training that i could try?

all the dogs are neutered.

stair gates etc in place at both houses so dogs arent having free run of the house.

sorry the post is so long! any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 10th Dec 2017, 3:06 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 46944

A difficult situation! I think training is a great idea, but really you need a trainer who can come to you and see what is actually going on between the dogs. Where are you based? People might be able to recommend someone? This Facebook group is also good, with qualified trainers offering advice...https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=374160792599484&ref=content_filter
Be really careful looking for a trainer and taking advice: steer well clear of anyone talking about dominance.

In the meantime, I would keep your dog seperate from the others so the situation does not get worse between them.
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 10th Dec 2017, 3:10 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 46944

For instance, you say your dog just wants to love and cuddle you: is he an anxious, clingy dog? Maybe he feels threatened by the other dogs, maybe he feels that he has to get in first to defend something of value (e.g you). When you tell him off for fighting, you are increasing his feeling that other dogs = bad situation. So you can see "aggression" can be a symptom of biggest issues. This is why having someone actually come to you and assess the dogs is best.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 10th Dec 2017, 5:24 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

Before anything else, you need to separate the brothers NOW. If they are 'always' fighting then they are always intensely stressed around each other and always practising their aggression towards each other. Their very presence will set each other on edge. The fact that Freddie has now gone for the maltese as well is in indication of how severely stressed he has become with the situation. At least a month apart before you even think of trying to work with them together again, and I agree with ceri that the best thing you can do is get professional help in (spot on about not telling him off, too).

A decent behaviourist will show you how to work them to give them the best chance of getting on, and how to move it forwards as they progress.

In the meantime, look at diet and routine (how much exercise/play/training, what type of each) and how you can improve the de-stressing aspect of these to help both boys' stress levels lower; and I would be doing very simple councercondition whereby if they ever see each other (still strictly separated), something amazing happens. Basically, brother=food. That is the most I would do for that first month as there is a lot of history that will be having an impact so de-stressing both dogs is the most important thing right now.

Also, whatever plan you end up with, please work with the dogs you have in front of you, not the dogs you would like them to be. it may be that they will never be able to be together - or they may end up best friends (although with their history, I think this is unlikely). But if you work with 'best friends' as your goal, then you can subconsciously put pressure on both them and yourself, which makes any setbacks seem much bigger and hampers overall progress too. One day at a time, with the simple goal of 'calm behaviour'.
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 15th Dec 2017, 1:24 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 37943

QUOTE(nikirushka @ 10th Dec 2017, 5:24 pm) *

Also, whatever plan you end up with, please work with the dogs you have in front of you, not the dogs you would like them to be.

Lots of good advice as ever but love this bit best.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd February 2018 - 2:55 pm