IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do You Let Your Dogs Offlead At All, And If So Where?
NW68
post 1st Aug 2016, 10:16 pm
Post #16

Group: Member
Member No.: 54100

My whippet x bedlington goes off lead - he's a running dog and needs to be able to run. All my dogs bar my arthritic 13y 7m old dog are off lead (where I consider it safe) and can run/play. Our 12w old Border a Terrier pup has been off lead since being fully vacc'd - obviously where it's safe to be off lead. I never have chewers/issues with aggression/anti social behaviours etc. I put some of this down to the fact they are happy, properly exercised dogs who have freedom. Freedom can come at a cost however - I still believe when it's safe to do so trained dogs who have a recall should be allowed to run/play.

My dogs are all stock trained (bar the older Border Terrier who I don't trust with sheep!) and are steady to all livestock.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
natbest
post 2nd Aug 2016, 6:11 am
Post #17

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 49122

One yes but only in safe fields away from roads, the Bedlington. She has very very good recall except if there's rabbits about.
The other the Lakeland terrier no not so much. He never ever stops scanning for people, dogs etc on walks and would just run and run and then get lost or run over. We have recently found a secure dog field to rent for 10 an hour so we've started going there.
Both my dogs have 8 metre extenders and are happy on them generally. Ive found it hard having a mad terrier, all my dogs have always gone off lead and its been a shock bot being able to with curly. We're lucky that there's a tennis court nearby, but in all honesty hes not that bothered. Hes more of a sniffer than a runner. And kilmousk don't ever feel bad about letting saffy off,ever. I feel guilty all the time about keeping curly on lead, but your digs your rules. I would love to let curly off every walk but cant risk it as we live too close to many main roads, railway lines etc. If anyone is in west yorks and wants to know website details of secure field pm me. Its 6 half hr, 10hr and 12 for 1 1/2 hrs. Its great too with dog bowls agility equip, even a trampoline for dogs. Parking for 5 cars and a toilet. Great idea dogs loved it.
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 2nd Aug 2016, 8:17 am
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

I had a collie/whippet, with no chase instinct at all. His only obsession was his ball, thankfully, so yes he was safe off-lead. He came to life in a big way when he could chase his ball wub.gif He had a heart murmur, so some people wouldn't have let him run so much but, having had an horrendous young life being beaten by an alcoholic owner, there was no way he wasn't going to enjoy life with me. I could see when he started to struggle (though he'd have gone on forever), so I'd slow the game down. I suppose his heart could have given out, but at least he would have had a happy ending wub.gif

I don't let my present dogs off lead because Charlie hates other dogs, and doesn't like people much, so I wouldn't risk him biting anyone. There's a country park up the road, which I've taken my previous dogs to, and would be fairly safe to let quila off lead, but there are so many other off lead dogs there, it would be safe to take Charlie. Quila's not a runner or player anyway and the only thing she'd do with a ball is destroy it rolleyes.gif

Kat, I really hope Saffy gets home to you eventually or, if she has found herself another home, you find out about it. No-one could have worked harder to find her but it's the not knowing that's so hard sad.gif I agree though that she looked so happy running around, and I don't blame you for giving her that freedom after her past life wub.gif

Chris
+Quote Post
NW68
post 2nd Aug 2016, 8:40 am
Post #19

Member No.: 54100

QUOTE(kilmousk @ 1st Aug 2016, 7:58 pm) *

Its obviously common knowledge that I chose to let Saffy off lead and that that decision ultimately probably lost her her life, it certainly lost me my girl in my life.

If I could turn back the clock I would not have changed a thing apart from maybe letting her off that one time in that one place. She came alive when she ran and it was a pure joy to watch - to watch her pure joy.

Would I let another sighthound off lead - yes. Would I let any sighthound off lead - no. Life isnt as simple as blanket rules.

If people wish to judge me for my decision that day (and I am sure many have), or on all the other times I made that decision that is their choice - I hope they never come to regret a decision they have ever made as I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

The sheer unadulterated joy on your dogs face is there for all to see. We make decisions based on common sense with our dogs sometimes they work out - other times sadly they don't.

If anyone judges you mutter a bad word and ignore them hug.gif
+Quote Post
tangojulie
post 2nd Aug 2016, 8:54 am
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 51047

QUOTE(woofgang @ 1st Aug 2016, 9:50 pm) *

kilmousk, for a dog like Saffy, life only on the lead would have been no life.

^^ exactly this.

Thanks for sharing her photos, I feel privileged to see such pure joy in life.
+Quote Post
DebbieJay
post 2nd Aug 2016, 11:04 am
Post #21

Member No.: 60720

That is a very sad story, but as others have said accidents do happen. My collie Baxter would never get enough exercise if we didn't let him off lead. He's been pretty good at recall from the start. When we adopted our fox terrier Oscar, the re-homer said that we would never be able to let him off lead. But actually he wasn't too bad most of the time, if he knew we had treats. Although he did once chase off after a rabbit and ended up on a road, which was very scary. Luckily some kind people stopped and picked him up (he would always get in a car if the door was open!)
+Quote Post
suzeanna
post 2nd Aug 2016, 1:12 pm
Post #22

Member No.: 11033

QUOTE(NW68 @ 2nd Aug 2016, 8:40 am) *

The sheer unadulterated joy on your dogs face is there for all to see. We make decisions based on common sense with our dogs sometimes they work out - other times sadly they don't.

If anyone judges you mutter a bad word and ignore them hug.gif

I couldn't agree more! Those pictures radiate happiness, she is lovely.
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 2nd Aug 2016, 7:41 pm
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

We can only do what we think is best for our particular dogs smile.gif Sometimes, the unpredictable happens, and we must all think if only we'd done things differently. We usually learn from our mistakes though.

Chris
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 3rd Aug 2016, 7:35 am
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

QUOTE(tangojulie @ 2nd Aug 2016, 9:54 am) *

^^ exactly this.

Thanks for sharing her photos, I feel privileged to see such pure joy in life.

She looks so full of life in those pictures, you can see clearly she loves to run and jump and fly smile.gif wub.gif wub.gif

I do feel that you definitely have to keep quality of live in mind, over quantity. Of course it is so heartbreakingly sad Saffy is still missing and you do not know -yet!- where she is, what happened etc, but please do remember all those happy full of life times!

hug.gif hug.gif Hope there will be news soon!
+Quote Post
Fever
post 3rd Aug 2016, 7:58 am
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 37085

At the same time I, wouldn't criticise an owner who kept their dog on a lead, provided the dog was happy with that. After all, the concept of taking a dog 'for a walk' is relatively recent, especially a daily walk.
+Quote Post
MRCHEW
post 3rd Aug 2016, 8:54 am
Post #26

Group Icon

Member No.: 50923

I exercise my dogs in various fields, one day Dave took them out himself, he called me to say Dotty had run off, he put the other 2 on their leads and went in search of her, he found a path he didn't know existed that led up to a dual carriageway.
I went out and followed the route he took to get to field in hope she would appear in front of me, I met up with Dave, no Dotty, I asked him to go up to dual carriageway to see if her body was on road. Whilst he was away my son phoned to say the PDSA had her, (from Dave's call to son's call was no more than 10/15 minutes.

We run home to get car, drove straight to PDSA, Dotty had been hit by a car, thankfully the lady driving stopped picked her up and took her to PDSA. Dotty had dislocated her front shoulder and was in severe shock.
I am forever grateful to the lady, PDSA wouldn't give me her info I did ask if she called to give her mine but didn't hear anything. It seems as soon as she run off she was hit, picked up transported to PDSA all within that 10/15 min time frame.
Dotty was extremely lucky, we have no idea what made her run off, though she has a fear of bees and wasps.
Having a microchip with up to date info meant we were contacted immediately and the driver was considerate to stop and react.
We don't take dogs there anymore to be let off lead
+Quote Post
Elainew
post 6th Aug 2016, 6:31 pm
Post #27

Group Icon

Member No.: 202

I have aLways let my dogs offlead, but Bassets only in certain places miles away from roads so I had a chance to catch up with them if they did decide to do a runner!

This post has been edited by Elainew: 6th Aug 2016, 6:31 pm
+Quote Post
kimw
post 10th Sep 2017, 10:11 am
Post #28

Group Icon

Member No.: 42138

Deleted as I was in the wrong thread rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by kimw: 10th Sep 2017, 10:14 am
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 12th Sep 2017, 9:57 am
Post #29

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

I can let 4 of my dogs safely off the lead, Tilly loves to run and will run in big circles, the others just love to play, Jamie will never go off lean because of his past, I don't trust him not to attack another dog or man so won't chance it.

I used to have a Greyhound who hated going off lead, if I unclipped it he would stick his nose in my pocket and it would stay there until I clipped the lead back on. He was the same with a normal lead, he had to feel the permanent contact that an extending lead gave him.

--------------------
+Quote Post
MRCHEW
post 14th Sep 2017, 5:54 pm
Post #30

Group Icon

Member No.: 50923

My beautiful Dotty dog had an unlucky/lucky day.
Couple of years ago Dave took the dogs out one morning, to the park nearby. It is along from us via a public right of way footpath
There is a main road above park, a steep hill and tree copse and a fence seperate the 2.
He let the dogs off lead, after about 5 minutes Dots runs back to him, shaking and fretty, just as he went to pick her up she took off. Up the hill through the trees and gone. Dave got the other 2 on leads and followed but there was no sign of her. He called me on mobile, I immediately went round to park, no sign of her. There was some council workmen coming along road, I asked if thet had seen a dog running in road. Dave said as he was putting dogs on lead he heard a car horn beep. I asked him to go up to road to see if her body was there. No Dotty, less than 10 minutes had passed.
My son called to say PDSA had Dotty, we went home got in the car straight there. She had been hit be a car, possible broken leg and was in severe shock. The lady who hit her, picked her up and took her there immediately.
Shoulder was dislocated, she had a bee sting on her lady parts (we think this was the catalyst). She survived.
So unlucky for getting stung by a bee and running into a car. Lucky, the lady stopped and took her straight to vet.
For us so thankful to the lady and that Dotty had a microchip.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 6:16 am