Closed TopicStart new topic
> Cats And New Babies, information for cat owners
DitzyLips
post 9th Jun 2004, 12:07 pm
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 8476

I think it's vitally important for children to grow up with the correct attitude to animals and agree that it only takes sensible precautions such as never leaving them together and teaching your children the correct way to behave,responsible attitude.
It really upsets me to see due to new baby being the cause as it must make it harder to rehome the cat with a new family with kids.
I would echo about giving the cat extra attention so it doesn't feel replaced or jealous.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
baxter
post 10th Jun 2004, 9:25 am
Post #17

Group: Member
Member No.: 8717

i too had both my babies when we had our cat, just used to have to think and becareful not to allow the cat to sleep or be near i sleeping baby, cover crib with net or have the baby sleep in a separate room with the door shut .you have to respect the cat has no idea about what is acceptable behaviour near a baby ,but we all know how quickley babies grow and they soon become great friends.our cat knows when it`s the kids bedtime he even sits on the bed for a bedtime story with my 8 and 3 yr olds.when our cat had to stay at the vets my kids were really sad.i can`t understand why people give the cats they own away when a baby is due. is`nt a cat a great way to teach a child to respect animals and no wonder animals are neglected when countless of family generations think yeh cats are nice but get rid of them when the baby comes ,so pointless and unecessary.
+Quote Post
Tazmania
post 21st Jul 2004, 12:39 pm
Post #18

Member No.: 9122

Katie cat knew I was pregnant before we did !! She suddenly stopped sleeping on my end of the bed.

We had two cats when the baby arrived and both were great until he started to crawl, then unfortuantely one took exception to him and swiped at him. We tried to avoid it happening again, but it was obviously after a particularly nasty scratching incident that she really wasn't happy so we had her rehomed, making sure she went to a home with older kids.

I would never dream of not having animals around Kids, I think they play a huge part in helping them to build up their immune system and I'd challenge anyone who suggests otherwise !!

mad.gif

(Feel a bit strongly about this ) sorry sad.gif
+Quote Post
SpringySpringer!
post 23rd Aug 2004, 2:35 pm
Post #19

Member No.: 9471

We got two rescue cats when we had just one child. I've had 3 more babies since then and my cats(now 10) have been fine with them all. In fact, they wouldn't leave me alone when I was pregnant, and insisted on squeezing onto my lap (what was left of it! lol.gif ).

Here's a pic of them as kittens.
wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
user posted image
Sorry! It's a bit big! err.gif
+Quote Post
Tink
post 3rd Sep 2004, 4:37 pm
Post #20

Member No.: 9476

smile.gif
(ooo it goes on a bit............) sy x

I have nearly always had a cat or a pair of cats since leaving home and I can truly say some of the sadest times in my life I have been able to get thru with the help of my cat(s).

one particaulr instances comes very clearly back to mind when I saw this subject.....
I was 26 weeks pregnant and had a miscarriage (stil birth) but i prefer the former....... i came home from hospital distraught......... beside myself hubby had cleared the house of all evidence to ease the pain a little and i had tried to brave it and say i will be fine with my mum bringing me home "Im ok go back to work darling........"

So there I am torn in two and no sooner has my mums car turned into the drive and there to meet me are my boys..............(mycats).............. calling and demanding instant attention..........I get out of the car and grab them up which was not easy they were huge........ I end up sitting on the floor in the front garden crying my eyes out with my babies cleaning away my tears and loving me.......

My Sam wouldnt leave my side unless for business for days.......... and then they kept checkin on me........he would only leave me for short speels to start with .
these boys were now ages 7 **** not babies .......only my babies they were too some old men ***

Sam stayed a loyal cat and we went on to have 2 wonderful children which he watched he would sit under their pushchair or highchair never too close incase of a pulled ear or tail but close enuf just to watch ............. the cats never ever were anything other than perfect with the children ....
Sadly both boys are no longer with us now.

I now have a little black very unsociable cat who avoids noise, shes had a very rough life tho bless her....... not too keen on children but never ever hurt them, not now anyway she could have done in the begining but they give her space and respect.

I use to be a childminder and i have had alot of children with my cats in the house over the years and NEVER have any of my cats or the visiting cats(lol) ever done anything to any child in my care at any time.....

cats can live with pregnant women and babies........ just dont push the cat or your patner LOL aside thinking you have something better or that needs more attention.......... your love really can stretch wub.gif
+Quote Post
countrygirl
post 7th Nov 2004, 12:51 pm
Post #21

Member No.: 10816

Cats ARE your babies, although they would never agree, looking down on us at every opportunity.

Sensible precautions must be taken of course i.e. cat nets, but sometimes I think this idea of cats harming babies is overblown, I had three babies and 7 cats with no problems at all.

I still have many cats, my children have left the nest and don't care about me, but my cats do !!!
+Quote Post
mindys mum
post 12th Nov 2004, 7:36 pm
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 8853

I brought up 2 new babies with my cat and dog, i must have been a very naive mum cause i never ever expected anything other than them accepting and loving my babies, and they did, animals have always been in my life since i was tiny and to me they are as natural as the air i breathe, i couldnt live without them.
When my sons crawled the cat used to keep a discreet distance just watching, and i would use a cat net on the pram, neither of my children suffered because of my animals.......in fact i am positive their lives have been enriched by their presence.
Tink i read your reply with tears in my eyes thank you for sharing your experience hug.gif
+Quote Post
tracymae
post 27th Jan 2005, 2:33 pm
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 11758

I found I was pregnant only a few weeks after getting Cookie our kitten, the only difference it made to us was to get OH to clean out the litter tray tongue.gif A couple of months before I was due we got the moses basket and we just left it out. Cookie had a nosey and he did jump in it once, but I took him out told him no and he never went in it again.He got used to it being there and didnt bother when our little bundle came along and was placed in it. I have noticed he doesn't like her crying, he either goes in the wardrobe to sleep or heads outside to get away from the noise, I sometimes wish I could do the same tongue.gif I don't know what he will be like when she is crawling, but he tolerates the puppy trying to mount him yikes.gif so I don't think there will be a problem. Both puppy and baby will have to learn to respect the cat ( and each other) after all he was here first, and I would never dream of rehoming him.
+Quote Post
stannie
post 22nd Dec 2005, 10:11 pm
Post #24

Member No.: 18163

I had two cats whilst I was expecting my child and had no problems. Without sounding patronising I think that my pets are my family too and there is enough love for everyone. Moreover, since my daughter has been born we have acquired another three cats and a lovely dog. I think children really benefit from being brought up with animals. The only thing I am particular about is keeping my house clean but I think that all pet owners do. Animals are so special and a joy to have.

+Quote Post
tammygirl
post 25th Feb 2006, 11:03 am
Post #25

Member No.: 16491

Hi i had 6 cats and a dog in a one bedroom flat, when my first child came along, and i would never have parted with them they where my life before i was pregnant, what i did do was take the square glass out of my bedroom door and replaced it with mesh so i could see in and out of bedroom and allow air to flow in and out. in the months before i started to shut my bedroom door at night to prepare for night time with a baby and cats incase they tried to snuggle up next to the baby at night that was prevented. They where used to not going in the bedroom before the baby came. i was worried that my dog was going to hate the kids cos she had bitten children in the pass, but i worried needlessly cos she was A1 with them brilliant, i now have two kids and of course still have my animals minus my dog who died last august aged 17. I never once doubted her with the children and even if she had of disliked them i would have found a way around it, children raised with animals have great respect if taught well. You should never have to part with them. smile.gif

This post has been edited by tammygirl: 25th Feb 2006, 11:04 am
+Quote Post
Lisa20
post 26th Apr 2006, 7:06 am
Post #26

Group Icon

Member No.: 20633

Me and mark don't want children and our pets are our babies....

I grew up with cats, 1 of which was a black and white moggy who was there before i was born and i have fond memories of him, he scratched me a few times (my own fault) and my mum just said oh well you'll live.... i think today alot has changed and people are too cautious with there kids etc because of the way the world is changing for the worse and the media hype over things...

When i was a child i would play on my bike for hours without a mobile phone but yet my mum never panicked as long as i was in no more than an hour after i should have been, i was allowed to bike to the beach with a friend at the age of 13....that just dosn't happen anymore.
+Quote Post
Sophie&DylansMum
post 24th Jul 2007, 9:15 pm
Post #27

Member No.: 29523

I've never had a problem with cats with my child. When my son was a baby I lived with my parents and had 2 cats there. One of them, Casper had an obsession with sleeping in the moses basket, but only when Dylan had been taken out of it, because it was warm. If Dylan was in there asleep, he'd go up, have a sniff & run off. The other one didn't bother at all. Nowadays, if they see Dylan coming they run. He's almost 5, and loves cats, just a little rough with them occasionally. I got him a cat around a year ago, and unfortunately, due to being too nieve about spaying ended up with 5 more, luckily homes have been found and I'm keeping 2. I'm considering more children in the future, but wouldn't even consider getting rid of them. I cannot see what the problem is at all.
+Quote Post
*paula*
post 27th Jul 2008, 7:12 pm
Post #28

Member No.: 38473

QUOTE(padfoot @ 28th Feb 2004, 9:18 pm) *

I must be a bad mother then, as I remember a few times my son, who could be a horror as a toddler, mauling the cat, the cat swiped or bit him, and I told him it served him right lol.gif
But that was all we got as kids, with the dogs as well as the cats. Might sounds irresponsible, but I would NOT have rehomed my cat for scratching if he was being provoked, and it certainly taught my son to behave around him. They're great friends now angel.gif

I completely agree and if your a bad mum so am i...we have a 10 wk old kitten (timothy) my kids are a nightmare with him...comstantly picking him up...so now he bites them....i said it's your own fault you have been told.....but they still pick him up and still complain....but i guess thats just kids for you!
+Quote Post
snazz
post 8th Jan 2009, 11:15 pm
Post #29

Member No.: 41825

QUOTE(countrygirl @ 7th Nov 2004, 12:51 pm) *

Cats ARE your babies,

they are? ohmy.gif I thought they were my boss...

Sensible precautions must be taken of course i.e. cat nets, but sometimes I think this idea of cats harming babies is overblown, I had three babies and 7 cats with no problems at all.

I'm in complete agreement smile.gif although sometimes the cats need protection from the children - older two were always fine with animals but youngest... rolleyes.gif
I caught her one day pushing a pencil up the cat's bum - I wish I'd had a camera near by to record the look on poor old William's face lol.gif

I still have many cats, my children have left the nest and don't care about me, but my cats do !!!

this week I've been pinned to the sofa with one of those nasty bugs going around - Annie (eldest cat) not only washed my face for me, she gently combed my hair too...
+Quote Post
Goldies
post 25th Dec 2009, 12:36 pm
Post #30

Member No.: 47219

The Cat Protection League used to bring out an excellent booket on cats and babies, unfortunately Cat Protection leaflets are much smaller and only limited info. I wish they would re-public the old one.

Scientists have proved that children growing up with children not only get a better immune system whilst in the safety of the home. But also when children think all the world is against them they have a completely loving pet who will listen without interuption and give affection. BABIES NEED CATS (AND DOGS).

Toxoplasmosis actually comes from handling cat poo and raw red meat. Err excuse me but surely people wash their hands after using both?????? Its not cats that give you disease but less than satisfactory hygiene.

xxxxxxx

Lauren
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 5:39 am