IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any Knowledge Of Bringing A Dog In From Italy By Air?, This is a rescue dog coming from an Italian rescue to my rescue
Sezza
post 1st Apr 2018, 5:52 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 10901

Hello,

I run a small breed rescue for German Shorthaired Pointers. Whilst it is primarily for dogs needing rehoming in the UK, I have over the years also helped a few other dogs from various parts of Europe - mainly Ireland, Spain and Greece.

Apart from one occasion, all of these dogs have been transported by approved DEFRA couriers by road.

I have now for the first time been asked to rehome a lovely young dog from Italy. Road transport was provisionally arranged, but the rescue in Italy have now said that they will only accept the dog being transported by air (apparently they routinely rehome dogs in Germany, and always fly them).

Does anyone have any idea of costs? He is a medium sized dog weighing about 24 kgs and 23" at the shoulder.

I am in the process of checking which carriers could move him, but wanted to get an idea of costs before I spend too much time, as I *suspect* high flight costs may make rehoming him prohibitive ... err.gif err.gif (unless I can find a sponsor or 10!).

So any ideas please.

Thank you.

Sezza
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pixiedog
post 2nd Apr 2018, 8:10 am
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 41941

My latest rescue came from Northern Cyprus, the air fair was around 1,000. I would guesstimate about 500- 750 from Italy as it's nearer and only one flight.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 2nd Apr 2018, 8:21 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I've asked on a little group I'm on, bit like the lounge but from a different forum. Various breeders on there and some have imported so they may be able to give a good idea. Might take a while though with it being easter monday!
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 2nd Apr 2018, 8:39 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

Or perhaps not that long!

"Don't fly a dog direct into the uk. The animal reception fees are crazy stupid and it's the airline tax too. Add on about 500 to the flight itself.
Lady haye is a good courier company who can do all the paperwork. Fly the dog to Amsterdam, Paris or Brussels and get a courier to collect from there. Or the rescue to collect from there. Dogs can't fly in the cabin either when flying into the UK.
I know others here have imported dogs so they will have a better idea on price. Cost last year to fly a pup from Canada into Europe was about 2k and that was excess baggage. I was looking into doing that and using lady haye to collect the pup from Europe and drive it back for me."

"It cost just over 1k to fly from Portugal to Heathrow which included courier costs from the Kennels to the airport which was about 150 miles away."

I'll add more replies if/when I get them.
+Quote Post
Sezza
post 2nd Apr 2018, 10:31 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Thank you for input so far.

I was aware that using an 'agent' would add around 400.00 to the cost so was trying to avoid that.

Also thought of bringing the dog to closer to UK and then doing final leg by road - I do know some good couriers who would do the collection from Paris, or Brussels etc. BUT not sure if the Italian rescue will go for that, as they are adamant that road-transport BAD, air-transport GOOD!

My main experience is for road, and whilst it takes longer than flying, it can be less traumatic as the dogs are all together in a vehicle, and handled by the same people all the time. Often the transport is door-to-door too, so that can in fact save time rather than having the extended booking-in periods for airlines and the similar extended delays releasing the dog at the other end. Road travel is also familiar to many dogs unlike the very different sights and sounds from flying.

We are also investigating how the rescue would feel if the adopter themselves drove to Italy to collect their new dog ...? Not something I have ever done, but might work? The fosterer in Italy has offered a free week's stay in their comfortable rural home if anyone wanted to do that as an incentive!

Lots more to investigate seemingly ...
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 2nd Apr 2018, 1:49 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

Importing a dog to a rescue in the UK will also require TRACES certification as well as a Pet Passport.
+Quote Post
Sezza
post 2nd Apr 2018, 8:36 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(kilmousk @ 2nd Apr 2018, 1:49 pm) *

Importing a dog to a rescue in the UK will also require TRACES certification as well as a Pet Passport.

Thankyou.

I am fully familiar with Pet Passports, TRACES and Balai as I have helped 10's of foreign dogs - it is just the transport issue / cost from Italy that is new to me ..... The dog is already passported - he just needs somewhere to go and then the TRACES and Balai can be completed by the rescue in Italy in readiness for his journey.

I am hoping to persuade the Italian rescue to some sort of compromise - or at the very least to understand why they are so anti road transport. unsure.gif The costs of flights to the UK is just so expensive ....

Sezza
+Quote Post
Sezza
post 3rd Apr 2018, 2:53 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Well I now understand a bit better the costs etc. ...

Problem seems to be that the UK is different to the rest of Europe in that dogs can't travel as 'excess baggage' if travelling with a human. That is what happens elsewhere, so costs are kept down by having a person travelling with the dogs, and on a discount fare, it means the cost of flight + excess baggage cost of the dog is relatively low i.e. a few hundred.

That isn't possible to the UK, as regardless of whether the dog has a human on the same flight, the dog has to come as 'freight' with a fully Airway Bill etc., and consequently I have been told the cost will be something like 1300.00 - and this is before any additional fees to pay for a Pet Transport Agent in Italy to book / take charge of the job.

That compares with something like about 300.00 to bring the dog by road ohmy.gif

So now my only option is to again approach the Italian rescue to try and find out what their concerns are about road travel, and to try to get a change of mind - else the dog can't come to the UK sad.gif

What fun - not!
+Quote Post
kimthecat
post 6th Apr 2018, 11:26 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 4804

QUOTE(Sezza @ 3rd Apr 2018, 3:53 pm) *

Well I now understand a bit better the costs etc. ...

Problem seems to be that the UK is different to the rest of Europe in that dogs can't travel as 'excess baggage' if travelling with a human. That is what happens elsewhere, so costs are kept down by having a person travelling with the dogs, and on a discount fare, it means the cost of flight + excess baggage cost of the dog is relatively low i.e. a few hundred.

That isn't possible to the UK, as regardless of whether the dog has a human on the same flight, the dog has to come as 'freight' with a fully Airway Bill etc.,

So now my only option is to again approach the Italian rescue to try and find out what their concerns are about road travel, and to try to get a change of mind - else the dog can't come to the UK sad.gif

What fun - not!

I hope they change their minds.
Animals had to travel into the UK by freight years ago when we had strict quarantine rules as they could be tracked easily on landing ( and not smuggled into the country .) Perhaps that still applies to a certain extent .

This post has been edited by kimthecat: 6th Apr 2018, 11:26 pm
+Quote Post
Pixiedog
post 16th Apr 2018, 7:35 am
Post #10

Group: Member
Member No.: 41941

I've flown dogs into the UK on many occasions, sometimes accompanying them ( on the same flight) sometimes not. In my experience the dogs take it in their strides, and it's all over in a few hours. The staff at the reception centres ( I have experience with Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester ) are all lovely.
+Quote Post
Sezza
post Yesterday, 9:48 am
Post #11

Group Icon

A little update. Nothing sorted as yet, but the fosterer (the main person I have been speaking to) has now understood the issue and is going to talk to the rescue manager (rather than the rehoming co-ordinator who said air-travel only).

We hope she may understand the situation and review. I have also found a UK-based rescue that routinely (only as far as I can tell) brings dogs in from Italy by road. So have sent them the link to their FB pages where they give full details of costs and processes. I hope that the rescue I am dealing with may take some comfort from seeing it is a routine way to transport (for some at least). I suggested that they might actually want to talk to them too!

Mind you, that info. all given > 1 week ago and not heard anything else as yet ....... fingers-crossed they can sort something out as this poor young dog has been in rescue for 5 months of that - all but 4 weeks of that in rescue kennels. Although the month with the fosterer proved him to be a happy (albeit a bit shy) young dog.

Sezza
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2018 - 8:59 pm