IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Should I Expect To Pay For A Spaying Operation ?
doggyvonne
post 25th Nov 2017, 8:51 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 16608

Can you give me an idea of how much a precheck and spaying operation ought to cost for a 4 year old Yorkie please? I had a quote from my vet and was really shocked. My friend had a cat spayed in another county and it was half the amount i was quoted. This dog is a very small breed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elainew
post 25th Nov 2017, 9:09 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 202

Small or not, it is the same operation as for a Great Dane, the only difference is a large dog needs more painkillers, anaesthetic etc. I would expect to pay anywhere between 180 to 300, more if keyhole surgery.

This post has been edited by Elainew: 25th Nov 2017, 9:10 pm
+Quote Post
moorx
post 25th Nov 2017, 9:10 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

No idea I'm afraid, but it is very much affected by location. I live in rural Wales and pay roughly half what I used to in North Somerset for consultations.
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 25th Nov 2017, 10:11 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 37943

Moose - staff lab cross (best guess lol.gif ) was 190 including pain medication and pre and post health checks.
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 25th Nov 2017, 10:15 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 2147

I will let you know on Monday, when I get the bill for India labrador's spay smile.gif We also live in North Wales and I know our vets charge less than other areas.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 26th Nov 2017, 6:10 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

First Devon Vet that came up on google has prices listed as ...

Neuterings:
Bitch spay (inclusive of antibiotics, pain relief and post-operative checks)
0-10kg 162.65
10-25kg 193.46
25-35kg 244.80
35-45kg 291.05
45kg plus 325.25

Dog castrate (inclusive of antibiotics, pain relief and post-operative checks)
0-10kg 119.83
10-25kg 136.98
25-35kg 162.65
35-45kg 202.02
45kg plus 215.72

so minimum of 150 if you shop around. Laproscopic spay is about double.

Love how easy it is to get info nowadays and really shows what a bargain a rescue dog is when you see it in black and white smile.gif
+Quote Post
doggyvonne
post 26th Nov 2017, 7:12 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Thank you everybody I can now put the quote of 190 into perspective . The list was particularly helpful.

I also need some advice about feeding a Yorkie age 4. The owner gave me tins of Morrisons beef in jelly which the dog refused so in the emergency and not having anything else on her gotcha day I boiled beef mince and added some raw oats -about half a small cupful overall. I may turn to fresh cooked food some days if i have time but are the oats ok or should i have a shop bought biscuit to add to fresh meat? if so what is a good digestible mixer for her? I notice her teeth and coat are lovely so whatever sh's been fed it has been working? I suspect the food i was given is a recent purchase as the family seemed in crisis-they may not have fed her that all through. She's my baby now and on my bed right now !

This post has been edited by doggyvonne: 26th Nov 2017, 7:17 am
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 26th Nov 2017, 9:14 am
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

She'll still be settling in and yorkies are notoriously finicky, so give it time. What I would do is pick a decent food (good meat content - not 'derivatives' - no colours, not full up with cereal) and stick with it as they are also little gits for learning to manipulate their owners and quickly. If they realise that not eating will cause something better to be offer, you will find yourself with a dog that turns their nose up at every meal and refuses to eat dog food in no time flat!

For now though, give her time to settle in as that is most likely the issue at the moment. Ratters they may be, but they are sensitive wee souls.
+Quote Post
doggyvonne
post 28th Nov 2017, 3:10 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

She is certainly clever because her old owner swears she always ate Morrisons beef in jelly tinned but she has consistently refused it here and i now mix it with a very small amount of boiled mince, liver or chicken with fat strained off. She will eat anything as long as it has some real food in it including carrots and potato. Treats always acceptable of course lol.gif I gave her a dentastix and she didnt know what it was and hid it in her bed. As the days roll on she is showing more awareness and requirement but no problems except a desperation to meet other nice dogs. We will invite dogs into the garden once she has been spayed- never had such a socially orientated dog with people and other dogs. I think this is going to be a very happy homing. wub.gif

This post has been edited by doggyvonne: 28th Nov 2017, 3:11 pm
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 29th Nov 2017, 10:19 am
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 2147

Just paid India's bill for spaying - 270.36, but that included haematology as well as the vet wanted to do some tests (all clear smile.gif ) and worming tablets for all three dogs. The actual spay was around 185 for. 21kg Labrador.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 10:37 pm