Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Need To Chew
Auntie Ange
post 19th Nov 2017, 8:27 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 22692

Can anyone recommend a chew toy for an adult dog.

Lou has allergies and inflammatory bowel disease and is not allowed treats or rawhide chews. When he was a bouncy puppy he always had a hide chew or antler to keep him occupied when people came to the house and even now he looks for something to chew if I am sitting talking to visitors.

I did buy an antler a few months ago but he actually ate almost all of it in one 'sitting'. It didn't upset his tum which was amazing but he was a bit 'guardy' over it and not relaxed. I don't like to see him like that. Millie doesn't like them and didn't want it but he growled at her if she went near him.

So something to chew but not eat, not too high a value in his mind ... any ideas please.

Ange
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 19th Nov 2017, 9:13 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

If he has allergies then it'll need to be something he's not allergic to. Do you know what his triggers are?
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 19th Nov 2017, 1:18 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE(nikirushka @ 19th Nov 2017, 9:13 am) *

If he has allergies then it'll need to be something he's not allergic to. Do you know what his triggers are?

Many things I think Niki as the only way I can can keep him well is by feeding him nothing but Royal Canin hypoallergenic which is soya based. Even then, for reasons i can't account for, we sometimes have to resort to steroids to stop diarrhoea.

Raw chicken wings brought him out in hives and digging gives him sore eyes and an itchy tummy.

He is ok with small amounts of cream cheese which I use to disguise pills and the antler he ate in an hour and a half had no ill effect. He has had them before and they seemed to last for ever and just get smaller over many months.

I have sometimes given him a Kong filled with his food and cream cheese. But I am thinking of the pleasure he gets from chewing is missing.

Ange

This post has been edited by Auntie Ange: 19th Nov 2017, 1:20 pm
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 19th Nov 2017, 1:25 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 37943

Our local Home Bargains had Nylabones - 1.99 for a large one. It keeps our munching Moose happy for a while. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 19th Nov 2017, 5:31 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(lolbeck @ 19th Nov 2017, 1:25 pm) *

Our local Home Bargains had Nylabones - 1.99 for a large one. It keeps our munching Moose happy for a while. smile.gif

I had thought of Nylabones but couldn't see them last time I popped into P@H. I will check out Home Bargains tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder lolbeck.

Ange
+Quote Post
mokee
post 19th Nov 2017, 7:20 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

I was going to suggest Nylabones too - and hopefully because they're not 'food' he won't feel the need to guard them so much?

Wilko and B&M do nylon bones similar to Nylabone too, a lot cheaper than Pets at Home.

This post has been edited by mokee: 19th Nov 2017, 7:21 pm
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 19th Nov 2017, 9:59 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(mokee @ 19th Nov 2017, 7:20 pm) *

I was going to suggest Nylabones too - and hopefully because they're not 'food' he won't feel the need to guard them so much?

Wilko and B&M do nylon bones similar to Nylabone too, a lot cheaper than Pets at Home.

Thank you mokee, I will have a look. I will get one for Millie too. She used to have them when she was younger but probably won't be interested now but it will stop her even going to his for a sniff.

Ange
+Quote Post
Pam13
post 21st Nov 2017, 10:20 am
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 32646

I saw a post on FB the other day about a new chew that Anco have brought out that's a tree root, looked a little like an antler. Might be something worth looking at?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 21st Nov 2017, 6:33 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Thanks Pam I will Google that.

Ange
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 21st Nov 2017, 11:13 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 46944

Westpaw make some great toys with a fairly soft chewable texture but hard to destroy. My large bull terrier cross only got through 2 Boz balls in one year and has just had a Hurley dog toy for his birthday. He enjoys these more than nylabone type things.
+Quote Post
natbest
post 22nd Nov 2017, 9:19 am
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 49122

Yakker bars maybe? I know it's a chew to eat but they're really hard so take ages to eat. But expensive but last absolutely ages. They're made from yak milk. Pah sell but they're way cheaper online.
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 22nd Nov 2017, 3:02 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Oh dear I've not heard of Westpaw or yakker bars so better do some Googling.

When Lou was young I bought him a greyish/white bone shaped thingy from P@H which I thought was made from rice ..... boy did it set off his bowel problem. I hope that wasn't a yakker bar. But will check it out thanks.

Ange
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 22nd Nov 2017, 3:50 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

Have just ordered a Westpaw Tux .... 17 from amazon ohmy.gif

I also dithered about Nylabone but decided to check them out for size in P@H. They recommend 'Souper' for dogs over 22 kg. Well Lou is 40kg so wondering if they would be durable enough for him as they are not to be eaten.

I looked at Yaker bars too and a reviewer said they were long lasting as one lasted a whole week with her cockerpoo. In that case it might not last the night with Lou lol.gif

Ange
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 22nd Nov 2017, 5:23 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

I've got a number of very hard toys/nylabones for Quila, but she's not interested if she can't destroy them in half an hour. She rapidly detroyed all the squeaky toys, and one very hard one which had 'pimples' on, she lay biting all the pimples off wub.gif She, fortunately, doesn't touch Charlie's fabric toys smile.gif

Even an antler didn't interest her wub.gif

Chris
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 22nd Nov 2017, 6:26 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

Lou has a couple of soft toys which he doesn't seem to have the urge to destroy.

In fact they are the ones he chews the most and he treats them gently but they get soggy and smelly. But I feel he needs something more 'inviting' to chew.

Ange
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 10:33 pm