Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Supplement/pain Support
vintagejayne
post 19th Nov 2017, 1:53 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 60424

Hi all,
I'm trying to choose what to give my dog and would appreciate some advice.

She is 7 years old, a crossbreed (possibly shih tzu x bichon) and has always had health/mental/aggression issues. Now, she has mild hip dysplasia, general arthritis and is taking metacam for a partially torn cruciate ligament.

She is on very restricted movement at the moment due to the ligament issue (in one room, carried to the garden & goes upstairs on the stairlift etc rolleyes.gif ) Luckily she has taken well to her new foam mattress too.

I'm looking into Aptus flex syrup or Synoquin efa supplement which I will give alongside the golden paste, but would like to know if anyone had seen any improvement with either of these in their dog before I get her used to one or the other. I'm leaning towards the syrup as she is a nightmare with tablets.

I have tried her on CBD oil a while ago but to no real avail however, I do wonder if I gave it a long enough trial.

Anyway, any input would be most welcome, I hate seeing her suffer like this and although she is a nightmare, she's my nightmare wub.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 19th Nov 2017, 4:18 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

CBD oil can be very effective however, it varies hugely in strength and efficacy. Source plant makes a difference - hemp based oils seem to be much weaker than cannabis based oils. I'm using hemp-based at the moment and if I can, I'll be switching next time.

What I must say though is that I was informed last week that taking CBD oil alongside golden paste is not advisable, due to an interaction/effect between the piperine in the paste and the CBD causing a potential buildup of toxins in the system through poor liver toxin removal. I couldn't tell you the exact science behind it, I need to look into it but something to be aware of at least.

As far as the supplement goes - I've used synoquin years ago and it did help but ultimately, neither is 'better' - it's whichever works better for your particular dog. The synoquin tablets are pretty hefty relative to the dog (unless they've changed since I used them, entirely possible) so if tablets are an issue, then I'd try the syrup first.
+Quote Post
mokee
post 19th Nov 2017, 10:06 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

My collie has hip dysplasia too, and when he was diagnosed the vet informed me that the only supplement/alternative medicine that has been scientifically proven (so far) to have a positive effect for arthritis and related conditions in dogs is green lipped muscle.
+Quote Post
mongrel mad
post 19th Nov 2017, 10:20 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 6718

Our 12 yr old collie x terrier has multifocal mild chronic intervertebral disc degenerations, most pronounced at the caudal thoracic and cranial lumbar regions.

She has been on Yumove advance (obtainable from vets) for about 4 yrs and is doing really well on it.

http://www.lintbells.com/yumove-advance-dogs
+Quote Post
mokee
post 20th Nov 2017, 3:54 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(mokee @ 19th Nov 2017, 10:06 pm) *

My collie has hip dysplasia too, and when he was diagnosed the vet informed me that the only supplement/alternative medicine that has been scientifically proven (so far) to have a positive effect for arthritis and related conditions in dogs is green lipped muscle.

Sigh, green lipped mussel, sorry, not muscle... My advancing years are showing again
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 5:53 am