IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Rescue Mouthing And Nipping
Fox
post 11th Apr 2018, 6:37 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 21305

Our new rescue nips and mouths - mostly just as play but he'll nip your feet when walking or if we have anyone in he tries to grab their hands and mouths. We've been calling him away and giving him a chew or try to play with a toy instead but he keeps trying to go back to nipping when he gets the chance. He's really small so it's not too much of an issue but when my nephew was here he jumps up and tries to nip. He can get
To shoulder height on my nephew so obviously we sit him up out the way but is there anything else we can try?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 22nd Apr 2018, 9:43 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

Missed this one, sorry!

First of all I would train a positive interrupter. I find this absolutely brilliant for biting puppies. I first used it with my last pup, a total piranha of a collie, and it was the best thing I ever did. Since then I've taught all my puppy owners to do it and it's been brilliant for them, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvPaqMZyo8&t=13s

Alongside that, I would work on his recall so you can call him away from other people faster (I guess you're already doing this!). And above all else, never reward the nipping - which means any response to it except the interrupter or providing an alternative behaviour to do (asking for a sit/down/whatever, training session, toy, chew etc, all of which you can do after using the interrupter). Otherwise, all fun stops when he starts nipping. So you stop walking, arms get folded to get hands out of the way, stand up straight and so on. Wearing thick shoes can help with doing this when he's nipping feet wink.gif

Lastly I'd train a really good 'leave' as this is useful as an alternative if he's not responding to the interrupter. This is what I use for my malinois when she's wanting to nip the other dog's faces (she's 5 now, but you know, maligator rolleyes.gif) and it's been the best thing I've trained for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2018 - 5:06 am