2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rescue Credentials, Green Leaf animal rescue
Barneyblue2
post 7th Sep 2017, 6:58 pm
Post #16

Group: Member
Member No.: 61172

This evening I have found another way to send an email without the demand for money to proceed, so have asked if they can provide me with details about the dog without me having to pay the adoption fee first. I hope that I get a reply to this inquiry as I explained that I'd like to see if I could offer a suitable home knowing what his needs are before committing myself financially, although I am willing to do this if it seems potentially a match. I want what is best for the dog of course, so don't want to waste their time if my home, situation or offer isn't suited to him.
I'll report back once and if I hear from them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Barneyblue2
post 8th Sep 2017, 9:28 am
Post #17

Member No.: 61172

I have this morning received a reply and assessment for Maslow from the rescue.
I apologise, but this is going to be a long post.
This is what I have received
Maslow's Assessment

* Maslow is a 3 year old male Polish Tatra Sheepdog.
* Maslow has been vet checked, neutered, vaccinated and micro-chipped.
* Maslow previously lived with another dog.
* Maslow was previously sadly disciplined his previous owner nipping his ear until he cried out in pain. This may play a part in his current behaviours.
* Maslow has been used to living in a 3 metre x 2 metre converted shed. Maslow has not been allowed indoors.
* Maslow has been placed outside due to his shedding, not moving off the sofa when asked and if moved off it, he would wee on it. In the first few weeks when he was allowed in doors at his previous home, he would lay in front of the door and it was not practical for the previous owner.
* Maslow would growl when asked to move, and finally he would be moved by the collar. He has obviously been scared and would put all four paws out, as he wanted to stay where he was.
* Maslow is not a destructive dog around the home and has never caused any damage to property.
* Maslow likes to steal things such as apples from the fruit bowl, socks or slippers.
* Maslow used to howl at night for the first week until he was moved to an outdoor shed, where the howling improved.
* Maslow will jump up to lick your face. He was encouraged to do this by his first owner, who described him as a lap dog before rehoming to the 2nd owner who was not happy with this behaviour.
* Maslow will follow you around the home calmly.
* Maslow will bark at the front door and is always kept away from any visitors or stangers due to his size. He has always been muzzled if anyone is visiting. He wasn't muzzled on assessment, but we feel he should have been.
* Maslow will allow you to remove a toy from his mouth and adores playing tug of war.
* Maslow will drop anything he has in his mouth when asked and removing items has never been a problem.
* Maslow used to be fed raw, but due to cost he was moved on to dry kibble from pets at home called Vitalin Active working dog food.
* Maslow is fed twice daily and also received 3-4 raw eggs a week and a little meat every with some dog treats.
* Maslow is unable to be in the same room as someone who is eating as he will try to eat your food and jump up at the table.
* Maslow is fine eating around other dogs.
* Maslow is described as a suspcious dog who's body language is low to the ground and flattened ears. He is very loving with his owners.
* Maslow was described by our assessor as anxious.
* Maslow knows basic commands such as sit, paw, left right(on walks), stop, wait and is very road savvy. He will sit and wait at kerbs until roads are clear to cross.
* Maslow will do as asked when given a command, unless there are distractions such as other dogs. In a home environment his listening skills are excellent.
* Maslow is described as a dream dog when walking on the lead. He does not pull and stays close.
* Maslow is not good at seeing strangers in narrow pathways. He will lunge towards them, growl and occasionally tug at their clothes.
* Maslow has not bitten or made direct contact with the skin, just tugs at clothes, but this can come across aggressive or scary. This was observed by our assessor.
* Maslow interacts well with medium sized dogs, but does not interact well with smaller dogs.
* Maslow will stand over a smaller dog and growl until he is removed from the situation.
* Maslow is 50/50 with larger dogs, slightly unpredictable as to whether he will lunge or growl.
* Maslow will bite a dogs hind legs in play and there has never been any fight that resulted in instant injury
* The other dog that Maslow lived with required an operation due to a joint problem, which was thought to be related to Maslow, but the injury is fairly common to the breed, so our assessor feels this is the likely explanation.
* Maslow has no recall, but has been allowed to run off lead with his dog friends at a local park. He plays with no issues.
* Maslow is used to being walked once a day for 45 minutes.
* Maslow has been walked every other day previously.
* Maslow will howl if left when the other dog in the previous household was walked.
* Maslow has lunged out in front of cars that are too close. He appears to be fear reactive and our assessor feels that some basic clicker training work with this issue is likely to swifty improve this behaviour.
* Maslow has not been walked in areas of traffic, but is used to being walked in a very busy field with lots of people, bikes, children and dogs.
* Maslow does not like to walk in high traffic areas at all.
* Maslow has been great with children he has met. He has never growled, lunged or shown signs of aggression to children or visting children. Maslow has lived with 2 children age 8 and 9 years old.
* Due to maslows behaviours we would not recommend he is rehomed around young children, even though he is gentle and does not jump up at them.
* Maslow will growl at prams, it is likely to be the pram rather than the child that he is anxious about according to our assessor.
* Maslow comes across as dominant aggressive, but it is clear to our assesesor that Maslowis experinging fear anxiety.
* Maslow has unfortunately been left for long periods with nothing to do, which may account for his howling when left alone.
* Maslow would benefit from confidence building and not been put into environments that trigger his fears to begin with if possible.
* The previous owner has used a automatic shock collar for any vocalisation and it is clear to our assessor that this has been stressful for Maslow.
* Maslow has been used to spending most of his day in a very small concreted garden.
* Maslow seems to be faced with too many things on his walks which are causing him to act the way he does.
* Maslow would need to be muzzled on initial meetings and someone with large breed experience and happy to help him with his issues.
* Maslow would most benefit from a country home with an experienced handler to start confidence positive reinforcement training with him.
* Maslow mouthed at our assessor and threw himself towards her when she arrived to assess him, but caused no physical injury, did not try to bite or bare teeth. He was just very confused. It was suspected the shock collar was only adding to this confusion.
* Maslow is currently located in Canterbury, Kent and can be transported if preferred.

I am impressed by the detail in the assessment, but that poor, poor misunderstood dog!
He obviously hasn't had the exercise or mental stimulation he needs and has been submitted to some very misguided treatment as a result, leading to his behaviours which can be well understood by anyone with proper dog experience or any understanding of dog psychology. What a terrible shame and waste of a beautiful animal. The ultimate humiliation for him must have been being excluded from his family and living alone in a shed and punished with one of those terrible shock collars. mad.gif
I can't tell you how much I wish I could adopt him and turn his sad life around for him, but sadly, I am still working in the office three days a week and I feel he needs someone at home with him all the time to take on a concerted, firm but kind training regime to encourage him to become the dog he most certainly has the potential to become. He has obviously been passed around and hasn't enjoyed the stability of a home where he can feel safe and valued. If I was at home all of the time, I would offer like a shot, but his needs come first.
This case is typical of owners who have not done any research into the breed but fallen for the obvious 'good looks' and not bothered to find out about temperament or needs of the breed.
Oh dear. I feel so helpless now. What a terrible shame for him.
If anyone on here knows of someone who could make this dog happy, secure and offer him the kind of training and lifestyle he so obviously needs, please do contact the rescue. He so deserves better. I only wish it could have been me sad.gif
Thank you for patiently reading this if you have got to the end.
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 8th Sep 2017, 9:44 am
Post #18

Member No.: 5985

Poor poor Maslow sad.gif His head must be in such a mess. I hope he finds the RIGHT HOME soon or a rescue that can give him more space. err.gif err.gif
+Quote Post
Elainew
post 8th Sep 2017, 12:24 pm
Post #19

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 202

I imagine Maslin, poor boy, is still living in his last home, so will not be rehabilitated in any way before he is rehomed. They seem to do a lot of rehoming from the home, very cheap for them!
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 8th Sep 2017, 2:00 pm
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

Many of those can relate to Jamie, most have been solved but some haven't. This poor boy is confused and frightened. crying.gif crying.gif crying.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 8th Sep 2017, 7:45 pm
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

The poor boy sad.gif I so hope he can find a responsible, loving owner to turn his life around wub.gif

Chris
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 6:09 am