Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cbd Oil, Any experience?
ebd
post 17th Aug 2017, 10:17 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 9633

Have any of you used CBD oil?

If so, what was the reason it was suggested, and did you see improvement?

Did it have any impact on appetite?

Any side effects?

---

I've read many claims, but there is little research or discussion from reputable scientific sites, so I remain skeptical. Nonetheless my vet suggested it as a possibility for ancient Grabby, more or less as a 'at this stage why not?'.

If any of you have any experience, I'd be very interested to hear your evaluation.

Many thanks.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 18th Aug 2017, 7:49 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 6759

Daughter has used it, and still does on and off, for anxiety, and she says it helps her, takes the anxiety to a level she can manage and it helps her cope with certain situations.

Eldest son is trying it out for his MS, not heard back from him smile.gif

I give it to Loki, when needed. He gets really spooked for the silliest reasons, and is then very 'on alert' ears down, tail down, almost tiptoeing, and cannot relax. The slightest would set him of, if he is ''on one'' so to speak. I have found it helps him to take the edge of as well. Nothing dramatic, but enough to see he is not as spooked, and relaxes quicker

Have not noticed any side effects, but then I only use if when needed, not a constant use.

I'd say give it a go, do get the strongest concentration, and unfortunately the good ones are the expensive one. The one I bough t was 50, but you only need a couple of drops. Trial and error to see how much you need with regards to dosage I think

+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 18th Aug 2017, 8:17 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I have three dogs on it.

Faolan is on it for his cancer - it is supposed to inhibit the growth of benign tumours and it has worked well. Where his tumour had grown through his snout and was swelling up through his upper gums and roof of his mouth, it took the swelling back down to its original size, removed it from his gums altogether and has kept it that way. It's also helped slow the growth overall.

River and Ren are on it for chronic pain. River has neuropathic pain from a slipped disc and narrowed nerve root canals, which put pressure on her nerves alongside the disc doing the same thing, and she has arthritis in her front feet. It took a big dose to start with, but now she's on a maintenance dose and it has helped. Not a dramatic difference, but enough to be able to walk her more comfortably and combined with a little weight loss, she's now doing double the distance she could do before and asking for more.

Ren has pain from muscular tension along her right side, cause unknown. Most likely major tension built up almost from birth, due to not being wired right and clashes in both her previous homes and with my dogs in mine. She doesn't respond well to conventional drugs - they work for a day or two and that's it. The oil not only works for her but takes all that pain away and with it, her explosive/impulsive aggression towards my other dogs. How much of that is purely pain relief and how much is a neurological change I don't know - she's also on tryptophan to increase her serotonin levels and golden paste for inflammation, but the oil has the greatest effect by far (each added one at a time so I could see what was doing what). Ultimately though it's the combination of the three that really works, with the oil being the most important part. She can go a short while without the others if I run out but a day or two without oil and the aggression begins to surface again.

I wasn't recommended it as such - I was looking into it for Faolan, and after River's last painkillers did nothing decided I had to try it as she'd then been in pain for the best part of 6 months while we tried to find something that worked. In Ren's case, because of that aggression, I had come within 10 days of having her PTS so at that point, figured I had literally nothing to lose - I hadn't risked it before because of her behaviour as she just isn't wired quite right, and I didn't want to exacerbate that but as she was at the end point anyway, gave it a shot. Best thing I ever did for her.

Potentially it has increased Faolan's appetite as it is supposed to be a stimulant, but I can't say for sure; he's also on a high dose of steroids which have certainly had an impact that way so I can't say how much is one and how much is the other (on top of his baseline greediness).

Oh, two other things: 1) I tried it on Phoebe for both chronic pain (possibly from bulging disc but don't know for sure) and chronic anxiety and there was no improvement in either; and River has to have hers just before we leave for a walk. It kicks in best about 20-25 minutes in, then she can keep going. Otherwise it's not effective enough and she's back to being too sore after the same amount of time walking.

This post has been edited by nikirushka: 18th Aug 2017, 8:35 am
+Quote Post
Pam13
post 18th Aug 2017, 9:46 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 32646

This is fascinating to read. I've a friend who swears by it and after reading your experiences I wonder whether its something I should try with Mac, especially on the muscle tightness/pain side. Must do some more research.
+Quote Post
ebd
post 18th Aug 2017, 10:38 am
Post #5

Another question to those who have used it:

How do you administer the CBD oil?

Grabby is struggling with his appetite so putting a drop in his food or on, say, a piece of bread might not be effective. I was thinking of putting a drop on my finger then rubbing that into his cheek or gums - would that be effective? Any other suggestions?

Again, many thanks.
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 18th Aug 2017, 11:33 am
Post #6

Group Icon

A couple of drops under the tongue, try to keep it there for absorbtion, then something tasty to follow smile.gif It doesnt taste very nice, possibly rubbing it in gums, and under the tongue should also work smile.gif
+Quote Post
zico's mum
post 18th Aug 2017, 11:55 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 10023

Following as well as been advised it may be good for arthritis? Where do folks buy it from for their dogs?
+Quote Post
ebd
post 19th Aug 2017, 1:13 pm
Post #8

QUOTE(zico's mum @ 18th Aug 2017, 11:55 am) *

Following as well as been advised it may be good for arthritis? Where do folks buy it from for their dogs?

I got it from my vet, it was a free sample as honestly it's something of a long shot with Grabby.

(My vet is very conscientious like that.)

But - I'm not in the UK and don't know how it's classified over there, whether vets are allowed to stock/dispense it.

From reading around t'interwebs, though, you do want to purchase from a source with reputable analysis... so perhaps the place to start is a discussion with the vet, he or she might know of sources if the practice cannot or does not stock it.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 19th Aug 2017, 1:44 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I'm not sure on the vet front, actually. It would be interesting to know as ideally I'd like it covered on Ren's insurance and I'm not sure it would be if I just buy it online. I do know my vet doesn't prescribe it or at least hasn't, but she's fully supportive of me using it.
+Quote Post
pqt
post 19th Aug 2017, 2:43 pm
Post #10

Member No.: 26635

QUOTE(nikirushka @ 19th Aug 2017, 2:44 pm) *

I'm not sure on the vet front, actually. It would be interesting to know as ideally I'd like it covered on Ren's insurance and I'm not sure it would be if I just buy it online. I do know my vet doesn't prescribe it or at least hasn't, but she's fully supportive of me using it.

+Quote Post
pqt
post 19th Aug 2017, 2:49 pm
Post #11

Member No.: 26635

One of my dogs is on CBD oil for arthritis. it does help her. My vet prescribes it and the insurance pays.
we have tried the CBD pet blend and the human blend, the pet blend is not as strong and must taste different because my dog prefers the pet blend.
+Quote Post
zico's mum
post 19th Aug 2017, 4:07 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Thanks pqt never thought of asking if my vet has it.I'm wary of buying online direct as there are so many selling it now
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 21st Aug 2017, 11:10 am
Post #13

Group Icon

Local health food store and the vegan store, both sell it here.

I asked our vegan store, why it was not on display : ''Its not usually on display as its expensive and small bottle easily 'falls' into people's pockets ''

Our village health shop has it behind the counter . These are the human ones, not the pet-ones smile.gif

This post has been edited by Louwra: 21st Aug 2017, 11:11 am
+Quote Post
zico's mum
post 4th Sep 2017, 4:17 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Well Duncan's arrived today and he had his first dose this afternoon.Here's hoping it makes him more comfortable from his damned arthritis err.gif
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 6th Sep 2017, 8:11 am
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(zico's mum @ 4th Sep 2017, 5:17 pm) *

Well Duncan's arrived today and he had his first dose this afternoon.Here's hoping it makes him more comfortable from his damned arthritis err.gif

Fingers crossed! Hope he is starting to feel a bit better!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 5:44 am