IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do You Let Your Dogs Offlead At All, And If So Where?
suzeanna
post 1st Aug 2016, 1:59 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 11033

I heard sad news today. sad.gif Two lovely black whippet sisters were being exercised by their owners adult son, in the fields not far from here. Several very big fields away from the roads. They suddenly took off after something, probably a rabbit or hare. They were missing for four days and now tragically both have been found dead on the railway lines a few miles away. I put this on another forum and someone there said how stupid of the owner to let dogs like that off lead. Do any of you with whippets/lurchers/greys let them off, or are they always on leads?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kimthecat
post 1st Aug 2016, 2:11 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 4804

That's a shame poor dogs . sad.gif

It could happen with other breeds too. beagles ,jack russels etc .

We have lurcher/ greyhound types here due to being close to the Dogs trust and some of off lead and recall doesn't seem to be a problem .
OH has penny , who is nearly a whippet , she is allowed off lead ,she has a better recall than barney . JRT x Beagle who is on a retracting lead most of the time.

This post has been edited by kimthecat: 1st Aug 2016, 2:13 pm
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 1st Aug 2016, 2:28 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 2147

How sad sad.gif My son has a whippet, who is allowed off lead and has a good recall. On the other hand, I have a cocker spaniel with a very selective recall - I need to watch her like a hawk!
+Quote Post
asher241
post 1st Aug 2016, 3:18 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 58149

How sad, but accidents do happen, I know someone whose dog was knocked down on the pavement with a lead on! My dogs are trained recall following David Ryan's methods but even so once dusk falls the JRT goes on a long line as the rabbits will be out and I need to see what he's up to. There are a couple of dog safe fields near us now where you can pay to exercise your dog knowing it cannot escape, some people from my dog club have tried them out with their huskies. FBook page is dogwalkingfields I think. Also some greyhound clubs have safe areas they will hire out.
+Quote Post
doglover08
post 1st Aug 2016, 4:01 pm
Post #5

Member No.: 59918

i am very lucky where i live 100s acres of woodland to walk there this morning 7am
+Quote Post
Fever
post 1st Aug 2016, 5:01 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 37085

I have a Lurcher who is an inveterate hunter, but yes, he goes off lead when it's suitable. His recall is pretty good now, but poor when he was young and I lost him several times - once, memorably, at Wyre Forest for 4 hour ohmy.gif . My latest dog is also a big hunter, so he goes off lead for short periods in a safe place. I don't use fenced fields for free running because I want them to learn to be off lead in 'real life' on our normal walks, just as part and parcel of the walk.

My most relaxed walks are with my little collie, who, for all her other behavioural problems, never lets me out of her sight, bless her!

It seems most unfair to criticise someone for letting their dogs off lead after such an upsetting event. I don't doubt the owner already feels terrible. But that's Facebook for you - just one of the reasons I don't use it!
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 1st Aug 2016, 5:40 pm
Post #7

Member No.: 10491

My dogs are off lead as we mostly use the beaches around here for exercise. Other places there is traffic or sheep.

A friend did tell me of a whippet that went missing in a forest. After many people searched for days he was found dead by a tree. H eh ad run into the tree and broken his neck.

As already said- accidents happen.

Dogs are unpredictable and not robots.
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 1st Aug 2016, 5:50 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

Two of mine are fine off lead, they have a solid recall. Ollie however is deaf when he gets a scent. He is always on lead, in the woods double lead, as he is so strong. We now have the luxury of a large fenced of part of the woods, where he can run to his hearts content and cant get out. We got the key to the gate, so its private as well,perfect

Very sad to loose your dogs like that, and living fairly close to a very busy A road, am not taking the chance, and they will all stay on lead untill we get to the woods
+Quote Post
moorx
post 1st Aug 2016, 6:03 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

I have had various sighthounds and sighthound crosses. Some have been trustworthy off lead, others not.

Of the current four, three can be let off lead (although we still have to keep a close eye on them) and one cannot. She has too high a prey drive and just wants to run and run. Nothing is of sufficient interest to get her attention.

We are lucky in that we have 10 acres of our own land on which to exercise them, although as I've mentioned elsewhere, there is quite a lot of wildlife around, and livestock in the surrounding fields from time to time.

Accidents like this are my worst nightmare - I lost a greyhound in unfortunate circumstances and vowed to never have another sighthound for fear of it happening again. That resolve lasted less than a month. There is just something about them I love.
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 1st Aug 2016, 6:58 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

Its obviously common knowledge that I chose to let Saffy off lead and that that decision ultimately probably lost her her life, it certainly lost me my girl in my life.

If I could turn back the clock I would not have changed a thing apart from maybe letting her off that one time in that one place. She came alive when she ran and it was a pure joy to watch - to watch her pure joy.

Would I let another sighthound off lead - yes. Would I let any sighthound off lead - no. Life isnt as simple as blanket rules.

If people wish to judge me for my decision that day (and I am sure many have), or on all the other times I made that decision that is their choice - I hope they never come to regret a decision they have ever made as I wouldnt wish that on anyone.
+Quote Post
Susieh
post 1st Aug 2016, 7:19 pm
Post #11

Member No.: 12218

I certainly wouldn't judge you for that Kilmousk. I don't know Saffy's story but I we take risks whenever we let our dogs off the lead. hug.gif

Having a nearly deaf dog with a serious scavenging issue, I do have to be selective about Diz's offlead time. She doesn't get let off on our usual morning walks on weekdays as the park local to me is so full of litter & discarded food that it's a genuine danger to her. Her offlead comes at the weekends when I have time to travel to areas where it's much lower risk.

Fortunately she has a chase instinct of about 1 out of 10 so it's not rabbits or anything else living she'll be off after, just in animate litter which can kill her if she eats the wrong thing. She's also a lazy sod, so on-lead is enough for her during the week. She loves a crazy 2 minute dash on the beach or in a field though, so I do strive to get her offlead when I feel the risks are lowest.
+Quote Post
Craters_on_the_lawn
post 1st Aug 2016, 7:27 pm
Post #12

Member No.: 55685

QUOTE(kilmousk @ 1st Aug 2016, 7:58 pm) *

Its obviously common knowledge that I chose to let Saffy off lead and that that decision ultimately probably lost her her life, it certainly lost me my girl in my life.

If I could turn back the clock I would not have changed a thing apart from maybe letting her off that one time in that one place. She came alive when she ran and it was a pure joy to watch - to watch her pure joy.

Would I let another sighthound off lead - yes. Would I let any sighthound off lead - no. Life isnt as simple as blanket rules.

If people wish to judge me for my decision that day (and I am sure many have), or on all the other times I made that decision that is their choice - I hope they never come to regret a decision they have ever made as I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

Oh I am so so very sorry you lost your beautiful Saffy. I saw that she was posted as lost on dogpages but didn't hear or see anymore than that so didn't know what happened. I always wondered but was too scared to ask. I remember her story when you saved her.
My heart goes out to you.
So sorry. Your pictures bring tears to my eyes. Rest in peace dear Saffy.

My darling Grace greyhound died some months ago now from what I can only presume was a heart attack - she collapsed whilst running at top speed across the fields.
If I had known that she had a delicate heart - would I have kept her on a lead and stopped her from running? No I don't think I could have; as like you I saw the pure joy she expressed as she ran.

I know I am not comparing like with like here; neither am I making sweeping statements about letting ANY sighthound (or any other dog for that matter) run free whatever the cost. Each person has to do their best by their dog and only they know their dogs well enough to make that choice.

As for myself and my dogs - well, my two current lurchers go off-lead, and my staffie x lab is the one who is always on lead for his own safety (obsession with chasing feathered things especially pheasants causes him to loose his mind)

This post has been edited by Craters_on_the_lawn: 1st Aug 2016, 7:29 pm
+Quote Post
kimw
post 1st Aug 2016, 7:51 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 42138

Beautiful pictures of Saffy and maybe, just maybe she'll come home one day and if she never can I truly hope you get answers hug.gif
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 1st Aug 2016, 8:23 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

QUOTE(Craters_on_the_lawn @ 1st Aug 2016, 8:27 pm) *

Oh I am so so very sorry you lost your beautiful Saffy. I saw that she was posted as lost on dogpages but didn't hear or see anymore than that so didn't know what happened. I always wondered but was too scared to ask. I remember her story when you saved her.
My heart goes out to you.
So sorry. Your pictures bring tears to my eyes. Rest in peace dear Saffy.

My darling Grace greyhound died some months ago now from what I can only presume was a heart attack - she collapsed whilst running at top speed across the fields.
If I had known that she had a delicate heart - would I have kept her on a lead and stopped her from running? No I don't think I could have; as like you I saw the pure joy she expressed as she ran.

There was never an answer to what happened but the 6 months missing mark was earlier this month with no confirmed sightings so in many ways I hope she went as Grace did <3 She may still be alive and I hope that if she is that she is loved and happy and if she ever needs somewhere to go there will always be her space waiting here.
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 1st Aug 2016, 8:50 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

kilmousk, for a dog like Saffy, life only on the lead would have been no life.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 5:37 am