IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Please, Pacing,whining and panting
Monty's Slave
post 3rd Mar 2017, 8:39 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 13348

Monty has started acting weird. It started on Sunday night with him pacing and whining to go outside where he continues pacing and whining as though he is looking for something. He kept this up for 30 minutes before settling. The following day he was completely normal but repeated the same pattern on Tuesday. In between he is eating, playing, pooing and weeing normally. He has a good appetite and no increase in his drinking. It is almost as if he is distressed by something but we can find no cause. Our vet took bloods but test results were clear. She examined him thoroughly and no signs of pain or discomfort. He has plenty of energy and has a good hour and a half exercise most days. Our other dog who has very sensitive hearing does not react. Vet thinks it is probably behavioural rather than physical and to monitor it. I am really worried and don't know where to turn. He is a 13 year old cross breed so was worried in case it was dementia. Please help. He is doing it again now and it is only in the evenings. I can distract him but it then starts up again. Anyone else experienced this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 3rd Mar 2017, 8:49 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 46944

Dementia is often worse at night so it is possible. Sounds like you are doing well to investigate other causes. Have you tried any of the dementia supplements?
+Quote Post
Monty's Slave
post 3rd Mar 2017, 9:06 pm
Post #3

Thanks Ceri.no I haven't. I don't know where to start. Can you recommend anything. He has settled again now so long as I keep cuddling him. Why is it worse at night? Thanks again.
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 3rd Mar 2017, 10:23 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 10491

There a few supplements that can help. It is trial and error what suits. Sometimes it takes more than one supplement.

Vivitonin, Aktivait, Selgian

I read recently of a new one but I can't remember the name.
+Quote Post
moorx
post 3rd Mar 2017, 10:38 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

Joe used to do this in the evenings. It's very distressing to watch sad.gif I gave him Aktivait and it really helped, but I understand that it doesn't work for all dogs.

I used to buy it online from VioVet.

Hope you find something to help Monty wub.gif
+Quote Post
Ragsysmum
post 4th Mar 2017, 4:09 pm
Post #6

Member No.: 13308

Could there be something disturbing him just in the evenings? A new, odd noise outside maybe. One of mine reacts like that seasonally when the local foxes start to call and also sometimes if an owl is hooting near the house.
+Quote Post
Monty's Slave
post 4th Mar 2017, 4:28 pm
Post #7

Thanks. We do have owls behind us but they have never bothered him before. Foxes possibly. I really hope it is something like that. He is completely normal during the day. Loads of energy on his walks, interested in different smells and still runs like he did when he was 7. I have kept him busy today in the hope he will be tired this evening. Strange thing is, if I start squeaking his toy he will forget the whining and really enjoy playing. It seems to be when we are all settled iin the evening that it starts. Nothing has changed at home except we had 3 close bereavements last month. Could this be affecting him? Thanks again.
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 4th Mar 2017, 6:15 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

I would get any sudden changes checked at the vets, physical and blood test, before changing things or adding supplements. In older animals changes are often attributed to age when in a younger animal they would be checked out.

It certainly could be dementia - google sundowning and it will give more info about how and possibly why the confusion is more pronounced at night. Medication can help as can reducing shadows and keep everything calm in evenings. Bereavement is also certainly real for dogs too.
+Quote Post
moorx
post 4th Mar 2017, 9:50 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE(kilmousk @ 4th Mar 2017, 6:15 pm) *

I would get any sudden changes checked at the vets, physical and blood test, before changing things or adding supplements. In older animals changes are often attributed to age when in a younger animal they would be checked out.

It certainly could be dementia - google sundowning and it will give more info about how and possibly why the confusion is more pronounced at night. Medication can help as can reducing shadows and keep everything calm in evenings. Bereavement is also certainly real for dogs too.

Yes, you're quite right - I should have said that I discussed Joe's symptoms with my vet, who felt that it was dementia, before putting him on Aktivait.
+Quote Post
Monty's Slave
post 5th Mar 2017, 7:55 pm
Post #10

We are back at vets for annual check up this week so will discuss this further. Blood tests already done and all good. Is a scan the only way of diagnosing dementia? Just been playing with him this evening and he can bring me different toys when I ask for them. Surely if it was dementia he wouldn't be able to do this? Responsive in all other ways too so desperately hoping its not the dreaded 'd' word. Will keep you posted but please send him positive vibes. He is the love of my life and this is agony. Thank you to all for your advice x
+Quote Post
Pam13
post 8th Mar 2017, 3:35 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 32646

Sounds very like Mac who is close to his 14th birthday.

He paces at night, doesn't settle, in the front room, out the front room, looking for food, in the front room etc etc. This accompanied by a whiny noise almost like crying. He does do come vacant staring and when down at the vets she did comment that he was showing signs of dementia.

However as others have said there are supplements. I tried the Logic one but didn't notice a difference. Then put him on the Aktivait but at half the dose, an improvement but not great. The I put him up to the full does and he is much better in terms of the vacant staring, getting stuck, etc but he can still be quite unsettled at night (till he's had his supper!!! lol.gif ) but better than he was.

This did all get worse after we suddenly lost one of our other dogs, who was a very settled even dog, just before Christmas. He also has failing eyesight and hearing which probably doesn't help him.

I got some good advice on my thread over on the other page http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=274422 about keeping them stimulated during the day and not sleeping as much.

It can be potentially be slowed down. Can't be diagnosed by a scan, but sounds like its very early stages so should respond quite well. Just make sure anything liver related has been ruled out as Holly had similar symptoms during the night from age 4 until I found out she had issues. Since those were addressed, no night terrors or pacing.
+Quote Post
Monty's Slave
post 15th Mar 2017, 11:58 am
Post #12

Just to update, I took Monty back to the vets to run through his results. She confirmed liver levels were up slightly but not significantly for an older dog who had just eaten. They have asked to re-run the test after he has been starved.

I did ask about Activait/Vivatonin and the vet was going to start him on it, despite there being no repeat of the behaviour for the past 2 weeks. I asked her to check his anal glands as despite no obvious symptoms, bum dragging etc, he had had an infection 18 months previously and shown very unsettled behaviour then and I wanted to rule this out as a possibility. The vet checked and confirmed one side was full and cleared it and he has been fine ever since.

Whilst I have not ruled out early Dementia, the vet's advice was to leave him as he is for the moment as he seems happy and back to his old self. No more whining and pacing and very settled in the evenings.

I really am hoping it was his glands that caused the pacing and can't think why, when they first checked him out, they didn't think to look at this having known his history. Hubby had taken him and did not ask in fairness. Fingers crossed.
+Quote Post
moorx
post 15th Mar 2017, 9:26 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

Definitely fingers crossed - well done for checking smile.gif