IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Training Treats, What floats your dog's boat
redhelen
post 12th Oct 2016, 7:54 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 28083

We have been through the usual treats - ham, cheese, garlic sausage, chicken, sprats.

I have also dehydrated liver and heart (the smell yikes.gif ) but I am running out of ideas now

What treats do you use? Do you make anything yummy?

Ted says thankyou in advance, he will enjoy testing your ideas lol.gif

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 12th Oct 2016, 8:02 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I use tuna cake when I need high value - 2 tins tuna in oil, 160g self raising flour, 2 eggs, mix, bake, cut into chunks. Dead easy and they love it.
+Quote Post
tangojulie
post 12th Oct 2016, 8:10 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 51047

Liver cake is always a winner in this house. Pilchard cake is pretty good too. I make them in the microwave, which helps to contain the smell. Basic recipe is whatever you would make pancakes from plus mushed up liver/pilchard/whatever, mix to a dropping consistency with milk, pour into shallow dish (this is key) and microwave for a couple of minutes at a time until set. Slice with pizza cutter.

I am currently experimenting with a tripe version using free flow minced tripe but haven't got it right yet. I need to summon up the nerve to put tripe in the blender ....

Another unexpected winner is fish skin - particularly Dover sole (OK it's our excuse for treating ourselves). Skin fish, dry out in switched off oven till semi crisp, cut into tiny pieces. Dry a little more if necessary. One fish makes a jar full of treats which last for ever. They are particularly good for 'find it' games as they are so light they don't fall where you throw them, and they have to be searched out.
+Quote Post
mokee
post 12th Oct 2016, 8:43 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

My lot have been on a diet recently, and quite by accident I discovered that they all absolutely adore raw dehydrated vegetables. The current favourites are parsnip, sweet potato and carrot.
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 12th Oct 2016, 11:01 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

chopped turkey thigh baked dry in a very slow oven.....smells divine to humans so goodness knows how it must smell to dogs. I also slow bake snipped up chicken skin until its crisp and all the fat has come out.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 13th Oct 2016, 6:32 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

Tried the livercake, cant cope with the smell. Ollie is very fussy, and I have tried everything! Cheese, cooked chicked, turkey, liverpaste in a tube, squeeze cheese, shop bought silly treats, nothing works. When I take him to Pets@Home, they like to give him a treat, he takes it, spits it out!! lol.gif The only treat that will do it for him is the puffed jerky from Asda, I got a pair of strong secateurs and cut the pieces, to use as small treats for on the walk. Most of the time he will come back for that, in the secured field. OUt in the woods, nada! Only squirrel shaped will get his attention! rolleyes.gif

The other two are gannets, eat anything lol.gif
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 13th Oct 2016, 10:15 am
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(Louwra @ 13th Oct 2016, 7:32 am) *

Tried the livercake, cant cope with the smell. Ollie is very fussy, and I have tried everything! Cheese, cooked chicked, turkey, liverpaste in a tube, squeeze cheese, shop bought silly treats, nothing works. When I take him to Pets@Home, they like to give him a treat, he takes it, spits it out!! lol.gif The only treat that will do it for him is the puffed jerky from Asda, I got a pair of strong secateurs and cut the pieces, to use as small treats for on the walk. Most of the time he will come back for that, in the secured field. OUt in the woods, nada! Only squirrel shaped will get his attention! rolleyes.gif

The other two are gannets, eat anything lol.gif

have you tried the slow baked meat? its different from cold cooked meat, the smell is mouthwatering!
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 13th Oct 2016, 11:37 am
Post #8

Group: Member
Member No.: 10491

Garlic sausage from the cold meat counter.
+Quote Post
redhelen
post 13th Oct 2016, 12:14 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 28083

QUOTE(nikirushka @ 12th Oct 2016, 9:02 pm) *

I use tuna cake when I need high value - 2 tins tuna in oil, 160g self raising flour, 2 eggs, mix, bake, cut into chunks. Dead easy and they love it.

QUOTE(tangojulie @ 12th Oct 2016, 9:10 pm) *

Liver cake is always a winner in this house. Pilchard cake is pretty good too. I make them in the microwave, which helps to contain the smell. Basic recipe is whatever you would make pancakes from plus mushed up liver/pilchard/whatever, mix to a dropping consistency with milk, pour into shallow dish (this is key) and microwave for a couple of minutes at a time until set. Slice with pizza cutter.

I am currently experimenting with a tripe version using free flow minced tripe but haven't got it right yet. I need to summon up the nerve to put tripe in the blender ....

Another unexpected winner is fish skin - particularly Dover sole (OK it's our excuse for treating ourselves). Skin fish, dry out in switched off oven till semi crisp, cut into tiny pieces. Dry a little more if necessary. One fish makes a jar full of treats which last for ever. They are particularly good for 'find it' games as they are so light they don't fall where you throw them, and they have to be searched out.

I obviously need to get baking!

QUOTE(Dalsmum @ 13th Oct 2016, 12:37 pm) *

Garlic sausage from the cold meat counter.

He likes garlic sausage but I need something really high value at the moment smile.gif

+Quote Post
leweylab
post 13th Oct 2016, 1:51 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 45786

Liver cake never fails smile.gif OH and I are known as the pied pipers of By The Way fields if I've been baking it lol.gif

I don't think it smells bad unsure.gif My friend came round after I'd baked it one day and asked what the delicious smell was and when I told what was in it (blitzed chicken liver, eggs, flour and minced garlic), she asked if she could taste a bit blink.gif

She deemed that with a bit of salt and pepper it would be very moreish lol.gif ohmy.gif

I have had dogs refuse to go on with their owners once they've smelt my pocket and the only way to get rid of them is to give the owners a piece of the liver cake to coerce their dog to go on with them tongue.gif

However, I have a lab, so anything apart from lettuce and mushrooms is considered high value to him lol.gif
+Quote Post
Ragsysmum
post 13th Oct 2016, 3:38 pm
Post #11

Member No.: 13308

Cocktail sausages chopped into small bits. All our own and foster dogs have loved this even when recovering from operations and not wanting to eat anything much at all.
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 14th Oct 2016, 2:15 pm
Post #12

Member No.: 10491

You can make a treat high value by restricting how often you give it.

If I want a high value treat for a recall I only use it for a recall, not at any other time.

+Quote Post
woofgang
post 14th Oct 2016, 3:46 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(Dalsmum @ 14th Oct 2016, 3:15 pm) *

You can make a treat high value by restricting how often you give it.

If I want a high value treat for a recall I only use it for a recall, not at any other time.

excellent advice! also by having two or three yummy things and rotating them so that they stay new
+Quote Post
Fever
post 14th Oct 2016, 6:07 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 37085

I love some of these is ideas and will definitely try the slow cooked turkey! But I will also say that it may be necessary to accept that there is nothing to compete with the thrill of the chase, so you shouldn't even try, but instead walk him in places where he can run free safely.

I would hate to rely on food for a dog to return to me, and it definitely would not work for two of mine as they are pure hunters. They both run free off lead on our walks, but as part of a sensible context, ie when it seems a good time. If they get too high, the lead goes back on, but our on lead spells are also enjoyable for them, with lots of exploring badger holes, scents, different surfaces etc.

I was once told by a very wise dog lady that when you unclip the lead, it should look no different to when the lead is attached - relaxed, engaged, interested, not hyper or shooting off. When I see dogs react to the click of the lead and pulling or shooting off the minute it comes off, I know that's probably a dog that only ever has fun off the lead without the owner.

NOT saying your dog does that, but I do think that food is not the answer - management of the environment and building a relationship with the dog that is not based on coercion is. Just my opinion, and I hope something you will consider.
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 14th Oct 2016, 6:22 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(Fever @ 14th Oct 2016, 7:07 pm) *

I love some of these is ideas and will definitely try the slow cooked turkey! But I will also say that it may be necessary to accept that there is nothing to compete with the thrill of the chase, so you shouldn't even try, but instead walk him in places where he can run free safely.

I would hate to rely on food for a dog to return to me, and it definitely would not work for two of mine as they are pure hunters. They both run free off lead on our walks, but as part of a sensible context, ie when it seems a good time. If they get too high, the lead goes back on, but our on lead spells are also enjoyable for them, with lots of exploring badger holes, scents, different surfaces etc.

I was once told by a very wise dog lady that when you unclip the lead, it should look no different to when the lead is attached - relaxed, engaged, interested, not hyper or shooting off. When I see dogs react to the click of the lead and pulling or shooting off the minute it comes off, I know that's probably a dog that only ever has fun off the lead without the owner.

NOT saying your dog does that, but I do think that food is not the answer - management of the environment and building a relationship with the dog that is not based on coercion is. Just my opinion, and I hope something you will consider.

Oh me too! and mine only go off lead at times and places when its very safe. I canít quite agree with your wise lady.....mine love to run and are fast. They know that they canít do it on lead and they really enjoy that burst of speed run when the lead is first unclipped...and so do I....so yes they do shoot off...and then they shoot back again smile.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 10:09 pm