IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arthritis Advice Please
Monty's Slave
post 7th Oct 2016, 1:21 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 13348

Hi,

My 9 year old Brittany, who is very active, has recently started limping badly in her right shoulder. The vet has prescribed Rimadyl as she suspects Arthritis but this has come on very suddenly so I was hoping it might be something else. It is still early days, Poppy has only been on the Rimadyl since Weds, but it does not appear to be having any effect. My questions are:

1. if it is arthritis, what are the long term options - is there anything else we can try and what other tests would she need?
2. How long should the Rimadyl take to kick in?
3. If not arthritis, any ideas what else it could be? Don't think muscular as it does ease with gentle exercise.

Poppy does not seem very bothered by it and we are keeping her on 10 minute lead exercise on the vet's advice. For the first couple of minutes, it is quite distressing to watch as she is dropping down at the right shoulder in a very pronounced limp but after a couple of minutes, it seems to ease and she is walking near enough normally.

Any suggestions would be really welcomed as I am worried sick about her.

Many thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 7th Oct 2016, 3:57 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

Has her back been checked? Limping and apparent leg/shoulder issues can be caused by referred pain. My dobe had a permanent limp and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her leg (front right), so I had the chiropractor treat her and it was caused by pain from her lower back, where she has a slipped disc and spondylosis, both in the same location. The treatment helped, anti-inflammatories do the rest.

However, as this has come on very suddenly, presumably without a trigger - you don't mention one - I would get it x-rayed. Not what you want to hear I'm sure, and it probably isn't this given that it does ease off, but osteosarcoma (bone cancer) tends to present as a sudden limp without cause. Quick diagnosis is essential if it is this.

It might be something else like tendonitis - one of my others had that for life after he ran into a door frame shoulder-first (twice rolleyes.gif ) and gentle exercise kept on top of it most of the time. Other things may have helped but unfortunately, no-one knew what it was until he was 10!

If it isn't those, and it is arthritis (x-ray should confirm this) look at joint supplements (glucosamine/chondroitin as a starting point but there are dozens) and anti-inflammatories. I am a HUGE fan of golden paste (turmeric, coconut oil, freshly ground black pepper cooked to a recipe) - it is very potent and so far, has outstripped all conventional anti-inflammatories that I've tried. It removes Paige's limp altogether, 99% of the time, when metacam and tramadol could not.

Otherwise, arthritis responds best to a 'little and often' approach when it comes to exercise - two half hour walks are much better than one hour long walk and it can actually improve with shorter walks.
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 7th Oct 2016, 4:26 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 46944

If it doesn't improve I would go for x-ray, it's needed for definitive diagnosis of arthritis and will rule out other things smile.gif
+Quote Post
mokee
post 7th Oct 2016, 7:36 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

I second the suggestion for xrays - Bali started limping earlier in the summer and the vet thought arthritis, but when we had him xrayed we found he actually had hip dysplasia.
+Quote Post
Monty's Slave
post 7th Oct 2016, 7:52 pm
Post #5

Member No.: 13348

Many thanks. Will speak to vet on Monday and try and arrange xray. Vet has checked her back and Poppy didn't flinch.

Bone cancer? Bloody hell I am distraught now. I adore her. She seems perfectly happy otherwise. Eating normally. Not stressed. Barking and alert and still up for cuddles. Can still jump up onto sofa to nose out of the window.

Trigger - she is very clumsy and barges her way through anything in her path and regularly sends my other dog flying but he is so placid he doesn't react. Hubby is taking her out for short walk now and when she gets back she always appears almost normal which is what is so weird.

She has just bounded in. Her canter pace is fine but it is more apparent when walking or trotting along. Really stumped by this.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 8th Oct 2016, 7:25 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Let me reiterate that this does not sound like bone cancer - that is very painful and does not tend to ease off with gentle exercise. It's just something to rule out, because of the sudden onset flowers.gif And an x-ray would do both that, and confirm arthritis if it's there.

It does sound like more of a joint problem, and a lot of things will show differently at different speeds - Paige's gait at a trot is very different to a walk, she has a marked in turn of the left knee as she pushes off which at a walk is still there but you really have to look for it. At a trot, it's obvious and there's a wee bounce as she goes as well.

This post has been edited by nikirushka: 8th Oct 2016, 7:26 am
+Quote Post
Fever
post 8th Oct 2016, 8:34 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 37085

I agree that you need a diagnosis before you do anything - not impressed with your vet diagnosing arthritis without a full examination including xray.

Some great suggestions here - especially golden paste. I would also suggest that once you have a diagnosis you look into canine Bowen therapy which is a very gentle physical therapy based on small movements, totally unthreatening to your dog. My little collie was transformed by Bowen - she is physically poorly put together (puppy farmed) and conventional painkillers did little to improve her gait. The Bowen has really lengthened her body, and little things like much free-er tail movement and softness round her jaw.

Good luck, hope you get to the bottom of it smile.gif
+Quote Post
Uncle Nick
post 8th Oct 2016, 9:44 am
Post #8

Member No.: 17398

I've not heard of golden paste, will have to have a google but Lintbells Youmove certainly seemed to help Jasper and give him a new lease of life.
Good luck!
+Quote Post
mokee
post 8th Oct 2016, 4:21 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(Uncle Nick @ 8th Oct 2016, 10:44 am) *

I've not heard of golden paste, will have to have a google but Lintbells Youmove certainly seemed to help Jasper and give him a new lease of life.
Good luck!

I can second that too, Yumove is the only treatment Bali is getting at the moment but its working wonders and I haven't seen him limp in weeks. Having said that, he's also in the process of losing his excess weight too, which I'm sure must also have been contributing to his discomfort.
+Quote Post
Athel
post 8th Oct 2016, 5:04 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 46906

Csj get over herbs work very well for Fleet.
+Quote Post
leweylab
post 10th Oct 2016, 3:14 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 45786

Sending lots of hug.gif for you and Poppy. It's horrible to see them in pain sad.gif

Lewey had xrays back in February after several bouts of soreness and lameness and was diagnosed with arthritis in his neck, spine and left elbow and carpus. He is now on Rimadyl permanently sad.gif He is doing well on it though and still manages really good walks and is rarely lame smile.gif Other than last week rolleyes.gif

I joined the Turmeric User Group on FB and they strongly advise against using golden paste in conjunction with Rimadyl, so I had to give up on that idea sad.gif

He does get the maximum dose of Yumove, but it's hard to say if it makes a difference as he's already on the NSAID unsure.gif It's not doing any harm, so I will continue with it

He does see a physiotherapist every few weeks and that has made a huge difference to his comfort and quality of life. Maybe worth having her assessed by a physio or chiropractor? For peace of mind, if nothing else flowers.gif
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 11th Oct 2016, 9:19 am
Post #12

Member No.: 10491

My vet recently highly recommended Nutraquin plus.

She said they have had some dogs come of NSAIDs after taking it.

It is not a prescription med but is only available from vets.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 11th Oct 2016, 11:54 am
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(leweylab @ 10th Oct 2016, 4:14 pm) *

I joined the Turmeric User Group on FB and they strongly advise against using golden paste in conjunction with Rimadyl, so I had to give up on that idea sad.gif

Personally I've found it to be better than any NSAID I've had any dog on, by a long way, and without the nasty side-effects. Paige on conventional stuff needs metacam and a lot of tramadol in a day and has a permanent limp - on GP she needs neither and has no limp.
+Quote Post
leweylab
post 11th Oct 2016, 1:28 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 45786

QUOTE(nikirushka @ 11th Oct 2016, 12:54 pm) *

Personally I've found it to be better than any NSAID I've had any dog on, by a long way, and without the nasty side-effects. Paige on conventional stuff needs metacam and a lot of tramadol in a day and has a permanent limp - on GP she needs neither and has no limp.

I tried GP before he went onto Rimadyl permanently and didn't see any improvement at all, despite being on a hefty dose for several months err.gif

I noticed on the site that humans that had started taking GP noted various effects from huge improvements straight away to no notable difference at all after taking it over a fairly long period unsure.gif

Is it one of those things that just affects people (and animals) differently?
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 11th Oct 2016, 2:35 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

Fair enough. Yes, it's horses for courses like anything. If I take it myself, I find it helps if I have an iffy stomach but not much else.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 10:07 pm