Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dog Food, Recommendations
TheBeardedOne
post 3rd Mar 2017, 8:55 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 51715

We had our little chap on Simpsons 80/20 and he didn't really seem to do well on it, he looked skinny no matter how much he ate.

So we started him on Applaws, and now hes fat, he doesn't seem to have an in between, hes gone from skinny to chubby, we've cut down his food but his weight has still remained the same, his coat also looks dull and full of dandruff.

Theres so many foods out there, any thoughts on what foods might brighten his coat?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 3rd Mar 2017, 9:21 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

Applaws can be a sod for putting weight on because it's so meat-heavy!

Personally I like Skinner's Field & Trial (the hypoallergenic ones) or Autarky, and I find the latter is better tolerated by a lot of dogs. Both have around 20% meat and I've had good results with them.

Ultimately though it's about what suits him as an individual - Paige never got on with the Skinners F&T duck, it gave her dandruffy coat and ginger highlights (she's a red dobermann) but it was ace for some of my others, whereas the salmon didn't suit Soli (my other red dobe) but Paige did really well on it!

Also, as much as I don't agree with them in principle, different lifestage foods can suit better. The best food I've ever used for Raine was the Autarky senior/lite salmon - her fur on that was beautifully, soft and shiny wub.gif But I put everyone on it and Ren started losing her hair sigh.gif lol.gif
+Quote Post
Nutmeg
post 4th Mar 2017, 9:59 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 4767

I'm going through the same thing, I have a finicky eater.

I wish there were more samples available so that you didnt end up with an uneaten bagful.

I did send for a sample of Eden but it turned out to be much too rich.
+Quote Post
moorx
post 4th Mar 2017, 11:11 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

QUOTE(Nutmeg @ 4th Mar 2017, 9:59 pm) *

I'm going through the same thing, I have a finicky eater.

I wish there were more samples available so that you didnt end up with an uneaten bagful.

I did send for a sample of Eden but it turned out to be much too rich.

CSJ send out samples if you ask (or certainly used to).

http://www.csjk9.com/range/dogfood_c45.html

http://www.csjk9.com/contact-nutrition.asp

This post has been edited by moorx: 4th Mar 2017, 11:12 pm
+Quote Post
kimthecat
post 4th Mar 2017, 11:24 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 4804

I feed my two dogs on James wellbeloved.
+Quote Post
Pam13
post 5th Mar 2017, 12:48 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 32646

Akela 80:20 gets my vote, think they do trial packs and also 1.5kg bags so won't be so much wasted. Holly was brilliant on this when diagnosed with liver issues.
+Quote Post
Helen@ruralhome
post 5th Mar 2017, 9:53 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 54926

Millie's Wolfheart is good and they should send samples, err ours are currently on Barking Heads which they seem to like as well smile.gif
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 5th Mar 2017, 9:56 am
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 37943

Re his coat - what about coconut oil? It can be bought cheaply now at Lidl, Home Bargains and the like and lasts for ages as you only need a teaspoon or so a day. It is also said to aid digestion and stabilise weight.

Re food samples - if you ask most companies will send samples free or cheap. Even places like Pets at Home get them sometimes but don't tend to give them out. rolleyes.gif Mind you our local store gives them to our local rescue so they don't go to waste. smile.gif
+Quote Post
melbury
post 5th Mar 2017, 12:27 pm
Post #9

Group: Member
Member No.: 7874

Fish4Dogs is very good food and they send out samples.

My dog used to love any food to do with fish, especially salmon and their salmon mousse in particular.

This post has been edited by melbury: 5th Mar 2017, 12:29 pm
+Quote Post
cheeky pudding
post 5th Mar 2017, 3:06 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 48762

AATU is the food of choice here. Sorted out problems with anal glands and has left our boy with a lovely, shiny, dandruff free coat. Oh, and he loves it! lol.gif
+Quote Post
mokee
post 5th Mar 2017, 4:52 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(melbury @ 5th Mar 2017, 12:27 pm) *

Fish4Dogs is very good food and they send out samples.

My dog used to love any food to do with fish, especially salmon and their salmon mousse in particular.

You can buy a sample bag from fish4dogs for 4.05 nowadays (1 of which goes to 'Dogs for Good' charity) and that contains 4 complete food samples, two mousse samples and two packs of treats.

https://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/adult-goody-bag.aspx

My dogs used to love fish4dogs food but I don't buy it any more since I found out that they're producing it in China now - it just feels wrong when I live in Grimsby and we have Skippers and Sea Treats both producing more or less the same thing but right here on the docks! lol.gif

This post has been edited by mokee: 5th Mar 2017, 4:53 pm
+Quote Post
TheBeardedOne
post 5th Mar 2017, 6:00 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 51715

Thanks everyone, thats given me some ideas.

Will also look into coconut oil.

I knew it was too good to be true having all the dogs eating the same food lol.gif
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 5th Mar 2017, 6:17 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

Fish4dogs kibble is produced in Norway.

Fish4Dogs Kibble
+Quote Post
mokee
post 5th Mar 2017, 6:29 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(kilmousk @ 5th Mar 2017, 6:17 pm) *

Fish4dogs kibble is produced in Norway.
Fish4Dogs Kibble

Sorry, you're absolutely right, of course. What I should have said is that "some" of their food is produced in China, some in other countries too.

I wrote to fish4dogs to ask about this last year and this is the response they sent:

I can confirm that we used to manufacture exclusively in the UK but then moved some of our production to a number of other countries including Norway, Iceland and China. Our products are made from Norwegian farmed Salmon and North Atlantic White Fish and we are proud of their superior quality.

We fully understand that there are real concerns over the quality standards of products made in China. However, please rest assured that Fish4Dogs Treats which are manufactured in China are made from high quality north Atlantic fish skins and conform to European Regulations and safety standards. There are Chinese producers of questionable quality but there are also many that exceed European quality standards and supply a significant percentage of the worldwide fish products for human consumption.

The processing facilities that we use in China are subject to our stringent supplier approval process and regular inspections by our management team. These food facilities are also BRC accredited (British Retail Consortium Accreditation). BRC Global Standard is a leading safety and quality certification programme. The BRC Standards guarantee the standardisation of quality, safety and operational criteria and ensure that manufacturers fulfil their legal obligations and provide food safety protection for the end consumer.

The majority of fish caught in the North Atlantic is processed in China for human consumption in Europe and around the world. Our processors in China then take the skins from the human food plants and simply shape them and bake them into treats for dogs. Nothing is added and no further processing takes place.

Sorry to the OP, because I realise that this is veering way off track from your original question, it is still fairly interesting though. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Debs Coles
post 5th Mar 2017, 9:24 pm
Post #15

Group: Member
Member No.: 36137

Millies Wolfheart - if you ring them for a chat they are very helpful and knowledgable. Would recommend. My three love it and are doing really well on it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2017 - 3:26 am