Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eye Removal, Any experiences
AnnS
post 21st Feb 2017, 3:19 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 1457

Holly booked in to have right eye removed next week. Can't get her eye pressure under control in her right eye, been on all sorts of drops for months. Complication of cataract surgery last May so really think we've no choice.

Obviously I'm concerned about another operation and how she will be, she has very little sight in that eye anyway but just wondered if anyone else's dog had had this op and how they were afterwards.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 21st Feb 2017, 4:47 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

They quickly adapt to 1 eye, I used to foster a Lurcher who had damaged eyes, when he first came he could only look down, he loved to chase cats but couldn't see them at first. His eyes did improve while he was here. If he looked ahead, were the damage to his eyes were there was scaring in line with them, I think he had been a working dog that had run into wire, his eyes and the scaring suggested this. He used to run and play with my gang without any problems.

Not a dog but a pony who had 1 eye, no pony could beat him in gymkhana events or jumping. lol.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazzy1066
post 21st Feb 2017, 5:23 pm
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 21200

Hi

I had an elderly yorkie about 15 I think whose eye degenerated and filled with blood so it was removed. It looked nasty for a few weeks from what I remember but he coped with it fine especially considering his age and he hadn't particularly had sight problems before this.
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 21st Feb 2017, 5:51 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

One of my cats had an eye removed after an rta when she was three sad.gif She lived a perfectly happy life until she went to the bridge at just short of 17. She got an infection due to other damage but, once that was sorted, recovery was amazingly fast.

I also groomed a number of dogs who'd had an eye removed (one ended up having the other eye removed later), and it wasn't a problem for any of them.

Hope Holly gets through it well, and recovers quickly hug.gif

Chris
+Quote Post
Dogmo
post 21st Feb 2017, 8:02 pm
Post #5

Member No.: 49328

My bridge baby Bramble, a Labrador had an eye removed due to Glaucoma. She lived quite happily with one eye. The only thing having only one eye stopped her from doing was being able to catch food when we threw it to her, other than that she lived a normal life. In her case the eyelid was stitched shut, so once the dressings were off it just looked her eye was shut, and to be honest she looked better than she did with the bad eye. We'd been trying to control the glaucoma with drops for a few weeks with drops, but it didn't work, and as Bramble hated having the drops put in anyway, she was much happier after she'd had the eye removed.

I hope all goes well for Holly next week and that she recovers quickly.
+Quote Post
AnnS
post 21st Feb 2017, 8:16 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Thanks. I think she will be happier and because she is long haired it won't be so noticeable. Her eye looks pretty awful and currently she is on 3 types of drops 3 times daily so it should make things easier.
+Quote Post
moorx
post 21st Feb 2017, 8:40 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

No experience, but just wanted to send hug.gif s to you and Holly.
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 21st Feb 2017, 9:29 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(AnnS @ 21st Feb 2017, 8:16 pm) *

Thanks. I think she will be happier and because she is long haired it won't be so noticeable. Her eye looks pretty awful and currently she is on 3 types of drops 3 times daily so it should make things easier.

I'm sure it will make a world of difference to her, without having to suffer having drops put in constantly and the pain she must be going through wub.gif

Chris
+Quote Post
cava14una
post 21st Feb 2017, 9:58 pm
Post #9

Member No.: 4846

Hi AnnS
My Cava had his eye removed after a scratch failed to heal after a lot of treatment. He was 13 when it was done and inspite of having reduced sight in the other eye he never looked back.

I only let him off lead in enclosed areas but he lived another 2 years quite happily.

AnneS

Just noticed dreadful pun! blush.gif
+Quote Post
mokee
post 28th Feb 2017, 4:41 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(AnnS @ 21st Feb 2017, 3:19 pm) *

Holly booked in to have right eye removed next week. Can't get her eye pressure under control in her right eye, been on all sorts of drops for months. Complication of cataract surgery last May so really think we've no choice.

Obviously I'm concerned about another operation and how she will be, she has very little sight in that eye anyway but just wondered if anyone else's dog had had this op and how they were afterwards.

Thanks

Just wondering if Holly has had her operation yet, and how she's doing?
+Quote Post
AnnS
post 28th Feb 2017, 7:08 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

It's tomorrow, dreading it although I know it is for the best. Got this totally irrational thought that they will remove the good eye. Written them a big list of instructions in case she is kept in overnight. Thanks.
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 28th Feb 2017, 7:28 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 37943

Everything crossed that Holly's op goes perfectly and she is tucked up safe at home this time tomorrow. hug.gif Love the list idea - only right she gets treated according to her wishes if she stops overnight. wub.gif
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 28th Feb 2017, 7:42 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

Good luck for tomorrow, to Holly and you hug.gif

Chris
+Quote Post
mokee
post 28th Feb 2017, 9:12 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

We had two or three dogs who had to have eyes removed when I was growing up, eye damage is a common problem with Pekingese because of the flat faces, unfortunately. The dogs with eyes removed were back to normal as soon as they stopped being groggy from the anaesthetic - not one of them seemed to be affected by missing an eye in any way at all that I can remember, they just did what dogs tend to do and accepted that this was how life is now, carrying on just as they did with two working eyes.

Best of luck for tomorrow, but I'm sure it will all be fine.

This post has been edited by mokee: 28th Feb 2017, 9:12 pm
+Quote Post
kimw
post 28th Feb 2017, 10:25 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 42138

Sending loads of good wishes to Holly for tomorrow and that she is back home, snuggled up in no time at all wub.gif
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 9:57 am