Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Male Cats Together, Introductions
dog2
post 3rd Mar 2017, 9:14 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 2776

There is a cat who I could possibly give a home to.but it is male and my cat is also male.he had fought with male cats outside the house and the last cat he was with at home was a female who was already here with us when we first got him.
Does this mean he could never get used to having a male cat in the house?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kimw
post 3rd Mar 2017, 9:22 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 42138

Not necessarily. It is a bit of a hit and miss affair but if they're given enough space and time to get used to each other it can work. How old is the other lad and is he neutered?
+Quote Post
dog2
post 3rd Mar 2017, 10:50 pm
Post #3

Haven't a clue of age and yes is neutered
It's that I have been told of a cat left behind by someone who moved.no home obviously and the people who feed it all have dogs which aren't able,to go with a cat.so I have asked about it.it did live with two other cats but I don't know any more details yet.
My cat has always wanted to be friends with male cats who have whooped his backside so he is now solitary.we had our old lady cat when we got him they tolerated each other.so I think maybe a female cat would be better.feel bad this cat needs a home and I could potentially do something
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 3rd Mar 2017, 11:01 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

I've had male cats together, without problems wub.gif As Kimw says, if you can give them some space initially and, particularly if they're both neutered, I wouldn't consider it impossible. If the other cat has lived with others before, all the better.

Chris
+Quote Post
kimw
post 3rd Mar 2017, 11:01 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 42138

I have seven cats; boys and girls, some related and others not. I may have just been lucky but they all get on. Often, I think with time and critically space most cats will find a way to live together even if it is by getting into a routine which means they don't spend a lot of time together.

Only you can decide whether you want to see if he and Sonny will get on but you have been thinking about getting another cat for a long time so maybe this is the lad you have been waiting for smile.gif
+Quote Post
asher241
post 7th Mar 2017, 3:42 pm
Post #6

Member No.: 58149

I've 8 cats, all dumped! Two females, six males. They all get on although one male prefers to keep himself separate, he will eat with the rest but never joins the big sleep pile and if he thinks no one's watching will box the ears of the younger ones. I don't think the sex comes into it once they are neutered.
+Quote Post
dog2
post 15th Mar 2017, 8:20 pm
Post #7

Sadly...well depending how you look at it...the lady who left the cat behind now wants it sent onto her so won't be having it came to live with .Sonny.
But thanks for the advice all because now if a cat does come along then I am at least armed with enough information to give it serious consideration.
Although...if .Sonny is 5-6 years old ideally is it better to get an older cat or a cat his own age or a younger cat to give the best chance of harmony?

This post has been edited by dog2: 15th Mar 2017, 8:23 pm
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2017 - 2:50 am