IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Recall One...., Complete disinterest
TheBeardedOne
post 15th Feb 2017, 9:07 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 51715

Maggie is a middle aged girl who joined us a few months ago.

We let her off lead after a few weeks and she was very good, coming when called and walking to heel when offlead.

Much praise was given for successful recalls and good behaviour.

These past few weeks she appears to have developed selective deafness, she just has no wish to come back, she'll either carry on her merry way or look up, think about it and carry on exploring.

Logic made me think "be more interesting", she loved her food, so offered tasty treats, extra praise.....still not interested and when she did recall she didn't even want to the treat.

Is she just feeling comfortable enough to let us out of her sight now?

By letting her not recall are we reinforcing her lost recall?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 15th Feb 2017, 9:26 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

The more recalls she ignores, the more she will ignore so I would be careful on that front - it's easy to lose all the meaning attached to the cue that way.

What treats are you using and have you tried any other reinforcers (toys for example)?
+Quote Post
TheBeardedOne
post 15th Feb 2017, 9:37 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE(nikirushka @ 15th Feb 2017, 9:26 pm) *

The more recalls she ignores, the more she will ignore so I would be careful on that front - it's easy to lose all the meaning attached to the cue that way.

What treats are you using and have you tried any other reinforcers (toys for example)?

We were using some sort of tube paste stuff (it looked vile but I figured she'd like it)...maybe time to try something different.

Shes not interested it toys outside either.

Its not like shes really enthralled in whats shes doing either, she just doesn't want to recall.
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 15th Feb 2017, 9:42 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

have you had her sight and hearing checked? Do you mostly recall, praise and let her go again or is recall always or even mostly followed by on leash and fun over?
+Quote Post
TheBeardedOne
post 16th Feb 2017, 4:53 am
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(woofgang @ 15th Feb 2017, 9:42 pm) *

have you had her sight and hearing checked? Do you mostly recall, praise and let her go again or is recall always or even mostly followed by on leash and fun over?

I'm always very careful to make sure that coming back doesn't just mean being put on lead.
I call back-praise let her go again, and call back-short spell of walk to heel and let her go again.

It worth double checking but I do doubt shes suddenly developed a sight or hearing issue, shes just got less interested in coming back over the last few weeks.
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 16th Feb 2017, 8:57 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

Turn it into a game, I play hide and seek, when my dog is not looking my way I hide behind a bush or tree and call my dog. They look round, can't seem me and usually come racing across to find me. I have been known to lie flat on the wet grass to get my dog back. lol.gif

I don't let them off the lead until I am sure they will recall, I use long lines and the treats are high reward and only used for recall. I don't let them find the end of the long line and start with my dog quite close first then gradually let him get further away. Once he is recalling from just before the end of the line I either add another long line or drop my end. It is quicker to put your foot on the long line than to get to your dog which I have found very useful in the past to stop my dog running up to an on lead dog before their recall was 99%.

--------------------
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 16th Feb 2017, 9:19 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

QUOTE(TheBeardedOne @ 15th Feb 2017, 9:37 pm) *

We were using some sort of tube paste stuff (it looked vile but I figured she'd like it)...maybe time to try something different.

Shes not interested it toys outside either.

Its not like shes really enthralled in whats shes doing either, she just doesn't want to recall.

Variety is the spice of life! Even the best treats can get boring so vary it. Different meats, cheese, some pre-made treats (as long as she's ok with them of course).

How you reward makes a difference too - just handing a treat over works for a lot of dogs but not all, some respond well to an exciting delivery and if you really want to beef it up, try feeding a lot of teeny tiny treats one right after the other for about 20 seconds or so - all the while with your squeaky voice on. 'Good girl! Oohhhh you're so good! Clever clever! Brilliant pup!' Repeat ad nauseum while feeding lol.gif

Other exercises at home and on the walk may help - one thing I find really makes a stronger response is to give the cue then leg it in the opposite direction. Most dogs, if tuned in to you, will run after you! Then long feeding as above. That can be tweaked to waiting while they're mooching but not completely engrossed in something, give the cue and run.

Another game you can try, a variation on the above is to drop a treat, then while she's munching it, run: but keep an eye on her. The instant she looks up at you to follow, mark it - good girl! - and when she reaches you, drop another treat. While she munches, run again and repeat. You can do this in a small area so handy if you've not got a lot of space at home, to get started, and of course you can do it on walks.
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 16th Feb 2017, 12:40 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

QUOTE(Annieskel @ 16th Feb 2017, 8:57 am) *

Turn it into a game, I play hide and seek, when my dog is not looking my way I hide behind a bush or tree and call my dog. They look round, can't seem me and usually come racing across to find me. I have been known to lie flat on the wet grass to get my dog back. lol.gif

I don't let them off the lead until I am sure they will recall, I use long lines and the treats are high reward and only used for recall. I don't let them find the end of the long line and start with my dog quite close first then gradually let him get further away. Once he is recalling from just before the end of the line I either add another long line or drop my end. It is quicker to put your foot on the long line than to get to your dog which I have found very useful in the past to stop my dog running up to an on lead dog before their recall was 99%.

If I tried putting my foot on the end of a long line with one of my dogs on the other end of it, Id end up flat on my back whether I wanted to or not lol.gif
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 16th Feb 2017, 2:59 pm
Post #9

Group: Member
Member No.: 10491

Practice recalls by calling her for her dinner. Even of she is in the kitchen while you prepare it step back holding the dish and call her to you. Lots of praise and put the dish down.

I also play hide and seek and hide behind poles, trees, bushes etc. It doesn't matter if you are sticking out, the fact that you are doing something out of the ordinary is enough.

I also played a game of having the dog beside me, throwing a treat away in front and sending the dog to get it.
As he is eating it I call him back to me in an excited voice and when he reaches me I immediately throw another treat and tell him to get it and repeat and repeat etc etc. Keep it an exciting game.

With my dallie, who gave a recall consideration then carried on doing what he was doing, I found training him to a whistle worked well.

+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 16th Feb 2017, 4:43 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

QUOTE(woofgang @ 16th Feb 2017, 12:40 pm) *

If I tried putting my foot on the end of a long line with one of my dogs on the other end of it, Id end up flat on my back whether I wanted to or not lol.gif

That has happened to me several times but it stopped my dog. lol.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheBeardedOne
post 16th Feb 2017, 7:24 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Lots of good idea, thanks everyone flowers.gif

I think we've become boring and shes become complacent- we just plod along on walks (Maggie is the youngest and most energetic by a long way), so whether she takes 10 seconds or ten minutes to recall we won't have gone far!

I think we'll have to try separate walks for a while so we can try out some of these ideas and work on her (and our!) training.
+Quote Post
pangolin
post 16th Feb 2017, 9:41 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 45080

Finding that high value reward can make a huge difference - it can vary for each dog, but all the dogs in my office do go nuts for the dehydrated chicken treats I make and it makes for pretty effective recall from dogs that aren't even my own when we go on our lunchtime walks!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 4:54 am