Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dog Backpack
ceri1
post 11th Aug 2017, 7:57 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 46944

Has anyone used a backpack to carry a dog? Beans is still so excited to come out hiking, but long walks are getting too much for him. He's used a bike trailer in the past and really enjoyed it, so I was wondering about a dog backpack, like http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/trixie-backpack-large.html.
A pushchair is no good for the terrain we cover.
Beans is an 11kg terrier.
Any thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 11th Aug 2017, 9:02 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

I used to have a bag for Gracie, I would put it over my shoulder so it crossed over my body, she loved it because she could see so much more. I have heard people using a backpack to carry their dog and the dogs loved it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
zico's mum
post 12th Aug 2017, 11:35 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 10023

Quite a few people on an FB group for older Border Terriers have used the Trixie Timon and the dogs seem to absolutely love it - looking for one for Duncan - he's 11kg too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-40479742894...k/dp/B003TOM430
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 12th Aug 2017, 1:58 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

I'm worried the Timon is a bit small. It says up to 12kg, but the more space the better. Beans is bigger than most border terriers. It is a lot cheaper though!

This post has been edited by ceri1: 12th Aug 2017, 1:59 pm
+Quote Post
wigglesworf
post 12th Aug 2017, 5:39 pm
Post #5

Group: Member
Member No.: 57673

We use an old fashioned backpack, the type with an aluminium frame which has two compartments, our bichon loves it and hated being left behind when the others are going for a longer walk, this way he can walk some and get carried some, and he says the view is great ! Look at car boots , we paid 1 for ours because they are not so fashionable .
+Quote Post
ebd
post 13th Aug 2017, 10:08 pm
Post #6

Group: Member
Member No.: 9633

When Monsieur Linky grew too wobbly for the family hikes up and down mountains we looked around for 'rough terrain' options. Tried all sorts, the best for him and for us that we found was the Tough Traveler Dog Perch backpack:

http://www.toughtraveler.com/dogbags.asp

We were still doing serious mountain hikes in those days - alpine trails, over loose scree, etc. So robustness and ergonomic design were key.

Now... these are mighty pricey. In hindsight, I probably could have got away with a standard baby hiking pack, with some adjustments to the head rest. You can search for a baby/toddler pack on any of the second hand sites, perhaps start with that and see if Beans even likes traveling that way before you invest serious money.

If you can try before you buy all the better. Ease of getting in and out should be looked into.

Linky adored 'hiking' in his pack.

Wishing Beans 'happy trails...' wink.gif
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 14th Aug 2017, 12:46 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

He has travelled in a trailer before and enjoyed that. Were trying one a friend had for her old dog on Thursday. I wonder if a baby one would do: they are much cheaper and look better for the carrier!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 4:46 am