Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Those Of You With Experience Of, Cockers and/or Grooming
moorx
post 30th Jul 2017, 10:37 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 4341

As some will know, we adopted Rosie (cocker spaniel) about two months ago.

Her coat's getting quite long now, and never having had a cocker before (or any other dog requiring grooming for that matter) I wanted to ask some advice.

I presume they do need regular grooming to keep their feathery bits in order? If so, how often?

I've found what looks to be quite a good groomer locally (based on their website/Facebook reviews) but OH is worried because Rosie is still quite nervous and especially gets freaked out by noises like clippers or hairdryers would make. I don't think they would necessarily need to use either, but am I correct?

Any other advice would be welcomed smile.gif Thank you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 30th Jul 2017, 10:57 am
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 10491

haven't had a cocker but a neighbour did and her dog got clipped short all over but still with feathering.

My two retriever crosses go every 12 weeks.

I found a groomer who only does one dog, or dog family, at a time. So the dogs are there only long enough to be groomed.

Other groomers take dogs in in the morning and they stay all day taking their turn to be washed, dried, trimmed etc. Dogs are crated while they wait and are dried in a heated cabinet.

My groomer uses a blaster to dry them. I was not happy about my rescues being shut in in a cabinet.

I do have to travel an hour to her but it is worth it. She is so good and gentle with the dogs. She is used by the local rescue for grooming the strays that come in.

+Quote Post
moorx
post 30th Jul 2017, 11:02 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Thank you smile.gif

Yes, one thing I liked about this groomer is that he only has one dog/one family's dogs on the premises at any one time and you can stay with them.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 30th Jul 2017, 11:10 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I would talk to him about her and what she's nervous of, and see how he would handle it. If you keep on top of brushing then clipping may not be necessary, just trimming of the longer bits to keep them manageable. Drying wise, you've got options there: some groomers use drying cabinets, some hairdryers, some blasters. If she's nervous of hairdryers she probably won't tolerate a blaster as they are considerably louder and more forceful (hence the name, they blow the water off the coat).

Some groomers, like me, might let the dog dry naturally if the fear is very bad, or even arrange with you for you to bath her yourself, allow her to dry and then they do the groom. I suggested this once for a cockerpoo who was terrified of the hairdryer to the degree that he would pee down my sleeve every time I tried to dry him! I also do a cocker who is not scared of the dryer, but who was in a lot of pain for a long time with a bad hip and although it's managed now, still has that memory so gets very tense and grumpy during a groom. So I do all the clipping pre-bath and she goes home towel dried only. She's much happier that way.
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 30th Jul 2017, 12:13 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

I'm retired now, but never used a drying cabinet, simply because I wouldn't put my dog in one, and I hate them smile.gif

I didn't keep dogs all day unless I collected them and wouldn't close the shop and leave other dogs there while I was missing, so they stayed until I closed at night. I also used to let people stay, though most only stayed a couple times until they could see how I handled the dog.

You can adjust hair dryers speed wise so I'd start on slow with nervous dogs, and the same with clippers. With some nervous dogs, I used a coat king to get rid of the longer hair, and used thinning scissors on the head and ears, and also on thick feathering, so I didn't need to use clippers. The vast majority got used to being groomed with gentle handling.

As Rosie's now neutered, her hair will grow a bit more unruly than an unspayed girl, so will need more work. I'd recommend 3-monthly for a cocker, and it's always easier for a dog who gets regular brushing and combing at home wub.gif

Chris

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 30th Jul 2017, 12:16 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 2147

I have Nerys, a cocker spaniel. I could manage her coat myself with combing and trimming until she was spayed, when her coat became very woolly. She now needs clipping every two months or so - we keep her short as she is a mud magnet! She is nervous dog, but is absolutely fine with the groomer. It sounds like you have found a sympathetic groomer, so it should be fine smile.gif
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 30th Jul 2017, 1:03 pm
Post #7

Member No.: 5985

Dont have any experience with cockers but regular brushing with a slicker brush should keep the coat free of tangles and get her used to being groomed. smile.gif
+Quote Post
jetsmum
post 30th Jul 2017, 2:21 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 6839

Having had 3 Cockers in the last 20 years all needed trimming every 5 - 7 weeks. They used to have a short cut in the summer but I preferred them to have a 'skirt' in the winter to help keep them warm rolleyes.gif I don't think they bothered very much! make sure their ears a kept clean and I used to trim the inner ear myself not that it helped with my American Cocker, he had over 5k of operations on his ears, to no avail though he went to The Bridge soon after crying.gif

I have always loved Cockers but I can't exercise them any more, hence I now have 2 elderly Miniature Schnauzers who are not bothered about exercise lol.gif

I found that groomers vary considerably so if you find a good one stay with them

Julie Mac & Lady
+Quote Post
LeonilCraig
post 31st Jul 2017, 3:06 am
Post #9

Member No.: 58064

A Bath, Brush-out & Trim all feathering.

The amount of hair that is removed from the feathering, (or outline of the dog) depends on how much hair the owner wants removed.

Because the feathering was not very long on this dog to begin with, I only neatened the feathering by taking about a 1/2" off.
+Quote Post
Hannah W
post 31st Jul 2017, 10:53 am
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 743

Ours went to the groomer every 10 weeks (more often than us!). We used only ever went to a local retired lady who did each dog on its own and we'd pick him up after 2 hours. Womble loved being primped and preened so it was never an issue, but we did stay the first few times. now we have a hairy labrador the only thing we use is a carpet beater and a dyson!
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 31st Jul 2017, 3:13 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

Dolly went to the groomers for the first time a couple of months ago, it was a new one just opened, I do know the lady who does this, have known her for several years.

Dolly can be a madam especially for escaping but she never got the chance. She was frightened of the hair dryer so they towel dried her instead which she loved.

I do groom Dolly regularly, she isn't a full cocker but does have a long coat and I check daily for any knots in it, much easier to get them out if you get them early, even then I sometimes have to cut them off her ears. Knots between her back legs I always cut off as they are really painful to her. When her coat is looking tatty I will just trim the ends to make her look better.

I also put a few drops of Colloidal silver in her ears about once a week to keep them clear of infection.

--------------------
+Quote Post
moorx
post 31st Jul 2017, 3:48 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Thank you all for your replies flowers.gif

Well, I have been in touch with the groomer - I sent him an email initially and he then phoned for a chat. Upshot of which, we've just visited with Rosie for an assessment and for her to get used to the environment and him/his assistant.

He was a lovely chap, with 10 dogs of his own (all rescues). A proper 'dog person' who clearly knows what he's talking about and how to deal with nervous dogs smile.gif He let her take everything at her own pace; we were there for about 45 minutes chatting about everything.

Rosie has an appointment on Friday afternoon to go back, and he'll see how they get on. The main priority is the fur on her paws - fortunately she's fairly good about having them touched. OH can go with her and stay while she's there.

Fingers crossed!

+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 31st Jul 2017, 5:00 pm
Post #13

Member No.: 10491

My retriever ran upstairs when I used the hairdryer so I was anxious when she went to hydrotherapy as they used a blaster after swimming.

She loved the blaster. She cried when it was finished and twirled around wanting more.

Glad you have found somebody you feel confident about.

+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 31st Jul 2017, 6:51 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

He sounds encouraging Moorx. Hope it all goes well. She seems to adapted well into your family, so perhaps you'll be surprised wub.gif

Chris
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 3:25 pm