Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Panarama Investigates The Rspca
ceri1
post 1st Aug 2017, 8:51 pm
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 46944

The law on "type" relies on the breed standard published by one of the American Kennel clubs. It has quite detailed measurements e.g. "the tail should hang to the hock" the head should be no wider than the neck" the body should be 2/3 the height of the dog to the shoulder" "the checks should be 10 %wider than the jaw.".. (I can't remember them off the top of my head so these are examples). So dogs whose tail is too long or short cannot be pit bulls, of the tail is to the hock it is a negative mark...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 1st Aug 2017, 9:42 pm
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 22692

QUOTE(ceri1 @ 1st Aug 2017, 9:51 pm) *

The law on "type" relies on the breed standard published by one of the American Kennel clubs. It has quite detailed measurements e.g. "the tail should hang to the hock" the head should be no wider than the neck" the body should be 2/3 the height of the dog to the shoulder" "the checks should be 10 %wider than the jaw.".. (I can't remember them off the top of my head so these are examples). So dogs whose tail is too long or short cannot be pit bulls, of the tail is to the hock it is a negative mark...

It all seems very vague doesn't it. One of my dogs is a beagle type (ie beagle/Border terrier cross). But she is smaller in every way than a beagle and definitely has BT head and ears. So no measuremeets would suggest she is 'beagle type' but I saw her with her mum.

Am I missing something or misunderstanding these guidelines/law ?

Ange
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 1st Aug 2017, 9:51 pm
Post #18

Group Icon

You are not misunderstanding it, this is part of why the law is so stupid. A dog can be the offspring of KC Labrador and a KC staffy, but if he measures up he is type. Equally, another dog could be bred as a "pit bull" but is a bit small, stubby in the tail and legs compared to his parents, so he isn't type and is safe...
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 1st Aug 2017, 9:55 pm
Post #19

Group Icon

Here you are: how to tell a dog is a dangerous breed sad.gif https://adbadog.com/heritage-american-pit-b...ation-standard/
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 2nd Aug 2017, 6:35 am
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

It's racial stereotyping at it's finest. Only in humans, it was abandoned from a legal standpoint but we just aren't catching up when it comes to dogs.
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 2nd Aug 2017, 5:19 pm
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

QUOTE(ceri1 @ 1st Og 2017, 10:55 pm) *

Here you are: how to tell a dog is a dangerous breed sad.gif https://adbadog.com/heritage-american-pit-b...ation-standard/

How they judge if a dog is Pit Bull type is on an old standard from the 1970s, it has been ungraded in the USA now but not by the UK. People are breeding Staffies to chocolate Labradors to get a dog that looks like a Pit Bull then sells them as a Staffie cross which they are. How many of the litter will grow to be in the standard varies from litter to litter, you can have only 1 as type or all of them. There is a litter of 11 puppies who will be assessed in September to see if the are Pit Bull Type. The police seized one of the pups, the owners contacted us and we put them onto the solicitors we recommend who soon had the pup back home where he belongs. We are supporting all the owners who have the same solicitor to represent them. Dr Kendal Shepherd will be doing an independent assessment on any of them that the police say are 'type'.

The police go on a 2 week course to become a DLO, not much training to do the job they are supposed to be doing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 2nd Aug 2017, 5:29 pm
Post #22

Group Icon

QUOTE(Auntie Ange @ 1st Aug 2017, 10:42 pm) *

Am I missing something or misunderstanding these guidelines/law ?

Ange

The only people I know who really understand this law I the solicitors we recommend, they have Staffies and they are often running free in their offices. lol.gif

Just before last Christmas the police had a Staffie in their care, the seized her as a Pit Bull but when they assessed her she wasn't so they returned her. This dog was known by the police as being aggressive, there had been a lot of complaints of her biting people and attacking other dogs. 3 days after she was returned she killed a man. It is owners and dogs like her that the police should be seizing and not barging into people's homes, without a warrant, and seizing family pets.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sue B
post 2nd Aug 2017, 5:58 pm
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 3820

QUOTE(nikirushka @ 2nd Aug 2017, 7:35 am) *

It's racial stereotyping at it's finest. Only in humans, it was abandoned from a legal standpoint but we just aren't catching up when it comes to dogs.

That just about suns up the absurdity of this disgusting law.

It helps no-one, has not succeeded in reducing attacks by dogs - quite the opposite.

Wastes huge amounts of tax payers money.

Causes distress and misery to perfectly nice dog owners with nice dogs, i could go on ...............

--------------------
The Mayhew Animal Home
http://www.mayhewanimalhome.org
+Quote Post
Elainew
post 2nd Aug 2017, 6:00 pm
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 202

Thought this thread was supposed to be about the RSPCA?
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 2nd Aug 2017, 9:01 pm
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE(Elainew @ 2nd Aug 2017, 7:00 pm) *

Thought this thread was supposed to be about the RSPCA?

The RSPCA are using bullying and intimidation like the police use to seize dogs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Hannah W
post 4th Aug 2017, 1:26 pm
Post #26

Group Icon

Member No.: 743

So.. did anyone watch the programme if it was on last night?
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 4th Aug 2017, 1:52 pm
Post #27

Group Icon

I caught the last half which was mostly about a woman who had all of her 60 cats taken away, was prosecuted for cruelty (not seeking veterinary attention) and was told to pay costs - something in the region of 100k I think. Maybe more.

It was all very much on her side - with her own vet supporting her, saying that yes, the cats had cat flu and always would do but for some reason that was ok? That as long as the cats were fed and sheltered and 'ahppy' it was ok that they were sick. I was under the impression that cat flu was treatable, not a chronic disease.

This post has been edited by nikirushka: 4th Aug 2017, 1:52 pm
+Quote Post
Ianr
post 4th Aug 2017, 3:05 pm
Post #28

Group: Member
Member No.: 27192

Various things were discussed, not just the cat lady though mostly by opinion rather than any factual evidence - former Director of RSPCA in Wales, former Trustee / head vet both criticised Council / Management of the Charity.

In addition to the cat lady there was a farmer whose case had resulted in two not guilty & 11 or 12 (I think it was) charges being dismissed out by a Magistrate, a couple of barristers claiming they had been targeted by the RSPCA (eg with misconduct allegations and huge resources thrown up against their clients) as a result of cases they had (previously) defended. Implications of a branch importing dogs whilst dogs in the UK needed help, this was claimed to be against national policy, further conflicts of interest (between branch and acting Chief Executives role) by a Trustee etc. Public relations team (I assume) responses from the RSPCA were aired to each but all in all, though I am inclined to perceive the RSPCA as being heavy handed in some cases whilst failing to respond to others myself I thought there was a questionable lack of substance / hard evidence of any wrong doing or failure to respond to (for example puppy farming) to this programme really.

Cat flu is manageable, some symptoms may be treated but there is no effective anti viral for some causes & life long complications can arise that cannot be cured - the point her vet was making to apply in her case. Some would advocate putting such cats to sleep in order to prevent infection of others. Some would argue that with appropriate management these cats can live a happy life. There was insufficient detail in the programme for anyone to form an objective view of the case / defence and the RSPCA justification of prosecution in my opinion.

This post has been edited by Ianr: 4th Aug 2017, 3:06 pm
+Quote Post
Ianr
post 5th Aug 2017, 6:58 pm
Post #29

Group: Member
Member No.: 27192

Statement made by the RSPCA the day before the programme aired

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/latest/de...1Yn85w.facebook
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 6th Aug 2017, 8:25 am
Post #30

Group Icon

QUOTE(Ianr @ 4th Aug 2017, 4:05 pm) *

Cat flu is manageable, some symptoms may be treated but there is no effective anti viral for some causes & life long complications can arise that cannot be cured - the point her vet was making to apply in her case. Some would advocate putting such cats to sleep in order to prevent infection of others. Some would argue that with appropriate management these cats can live a happy life. There was insufficient detail in the programme for anyone to form an objective view of the case / defence and the RSPCA justification of prosecution in my opinion.

Right, ok. Thanks for that smile.gif
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 4:21 pm