Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Panarama Investigates The Rspca
Annieskel
post 30th Jul 2017, 7:03 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 44743

This came up on Facebook, it was posted by Beverley Cuddy.

Advance warning, this Thursday's Panorama is on the RSPCA... a little bird tells me (or would that be if it was about the RSPB?) that this programme has attracted a record number of legal letters - this is a programme that they definitely don't want aired.

Not sure what they have... but it's going to be more interesting than the double episode of EastEnders it bisects....

I will probably forget to watch it so set it to record.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Craters_on_the_lawn
post 30th Jul 2017, 4:26 pm
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 55685

Found this on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t14n/broadcasts/upcoming

Will be watching with interest.

For a long time I have been unhappy with the RSPCA's keeping of huge reserves of money and yet refusing the help with the stray and unwanted dog problem - leaving small independant rescues trying to cope on a shoe-string of donations. And yet the RSPCA adverts begging for money often stress the huge numbers of dogs (and cats) abandoned every year - implying that if you donate then they will use your money will help - I'm amazed they get away with the adverts, to be honest.

And they don't have a "no kill" policy either. I have heard rumours and whispers about how many dogs they take in then get put-to-sleep; and would like to see more facts about what really goes on.
+Quote Post
Craters_on_the_lawn
post 30th Jul 2017, 4:27 pm
Post #3

Sorry - link should be : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0909pny

(takes you to the actual page)
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 30th Jul 2017, 9:05 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

I used to foster for them in the 80's, and not all was well with them then. Many of the fosterers broke away and started working for other rescues. In 2002, one of my cats was hit by a car (she did survive) and went missing. I put an ad in the local post office. The driver phoned me to say she'd run into a driveway across the road, so he'd gone and knocked the door and the lady called the rspca, but they wouldn't come out unless she caught my cat and contained her. By the time she finished arguing with them. Jodie had disappeared. 2 days later the rspca was one of the places I reported her missing to, but they didn't tell me about the phone call.

After 3 days of searching neighbouring gardens, the post office owner rang to say she'd been seen. The lady had rung the rspca and, again, they refused to come out. That was probably fortunate as, after 5 days of being out hiding with facial injuries, they'd probably have pts. She spent over a week in the vet's on a drip, lost an eye and had her jaw wired in two places. I lost her just over a year ago, a month before she would have been 17 sad.gif

After working with animals for so many years, I've heard so many things about them, and I've donated to small rescues, but not to them for many years.

Hope I remember to watch.

Chris

+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 31st Jul 2017, 8:35 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

QUOTE(Craters_on_the_lawn @ 30th Jul 2017, 5:26 pm) *

For a long time I have been unhappy with the RSPCA's keeping of huge reserves of money and yet refusing the help with the stray and unwanted dog problem - leaving small independant rescues trying to cope on a shoe-string of donations. And yet the RSPCA adverts begging for money often stress the huge numbers of dogs (and cats) abandoned every year - implying that if you donate then they will use your money will help - I'm amazed they get away with the adverts, to be honest.

What irks me is that the money donated thanks to those adverts goes to head office but the branches don't see it - they work independently and have to do their own fundraising, as I understand it.

This post has been edited by nikirushka: 31st Jul 2017, 8:35 am
+Quote Post
Hannah W
post 31st Jul 2017, 10:38 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 743

One of the reasons i gave up home visiting for rehoming was because of the RSPCA. I trained with them, but they were awful to the volunteers. One time i recommended that a particular dog wasn't placed with the potential adopters - it was a rottie with history, and this is was a one parent family with a young daughter in the centre of a big city. I'm not saying they couldn't have a dog, but its the right dog for the right home, and this wasn't it. Also, the dog deserved a more suitable home - he was lovely, but had baggage from his previous life. However i was over ruled despite my protests.

The dog went on to growl at the child and he was immediately returned - i believe he was PTS as 'aggressive'. Nope- just wrong dog in the wrong home. I gave up after that. if you aren't going to listen, then don't ask.
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 31st Jul 2017, 3:24 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(Hannah W @ 31st Jul 2017, 11:38 am) *

One of the reasons i gave up home visiting for rehoming was because of the RSPCA. I trained with them, but they were awful to the volunteers. One time i recommended that a particular dog wasn't placed with the potential adopters - it was a rottie with history, and this is was a one parent family with a young daughter in the centre of a big city. I'm not saying they couldn't have a dog, but its the right dog for the right home, and this wasn't it. Also, the dog deserved a more suitable home - he was lovely, but had baggage from his previous life. However i was over ruled despite my protests.

The dog went on to growl at the child and he was immediately returned - i believe he was PTS as 'aggressive'. Nope- just wrong dog in the wrong home. I gave up after that. if you aren't going to listen, then don't ask.

Like you I was trained to do homechecks by the RSPCA, I was told that sometimes they go against the homechecker and let someone have a dog that the homechecker said wasn't suitable, I told them that if they done that to a dog that I had said wasn't suitable I wouldn't homecheck for them again, it worked, they never did.

They are not the only rescue that don't have a no kill policy, all they have to do is say the dog is aggressive, I used to work for a rescue who sent several dogs to a well known rescue, our rescue hadn't had a problem with any of them yet this rescue killed them saying they were aggressive.

I was trying to help a man last night who the RSPCA had looked through his window and said his dog had Pit Bull in him, the Inspector was with someone from the Council and they said they were coming for the dog either today or tomorrow, the dog is now safe, he is going to an experienced foster home today, probably already there now, and trying to get a rescue to give him back-up. The man I was talking to had taken this dog off druggies and didn't want him to go but it is in his contract with the council as no dogs allowed.

The RSPCA don't have a clue what a Pit Bull is, like the police they are calling American Bulldogs Pit Bulls, they are nothing alike.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sue B
post 31st Jul 2017, 5:16 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 3820

QUOTE(Annieskel @ 31st Jul 2017, 4:24 pm) *

Like you I was trained to do homechecks by the RSPCA, I was told that sometimes they go against the homechecker and let someone have a dog that the homechecker said wasn't suitable, I told them that if they done that to a dog that I had said wasn't suitable I wouldn't homecheck for them again, it worked, they never did.

They are not the only rescue that don't have a no kill policy, all they have to do is say the dog is aggressive, I used to work for a rescue who sent several dogs to a well known rescue, our rescue hadn't had a problem with any of them yet this rescue killed them saying they were aggressive.

I was trying to help a man last night who the RSPCA had looked through his window and said his dog had Pit Bull in him, the Inspector was with someone from the Council and they said they were coming for the dog either today or tomorrow, the dog is now safe, he is going to an experienced foster home today, probably already there now, and trying to get a rescue to give him back-up. The man I was talking to had taken this dog off druggies and didn't want him to go but it is in his contract with the council as no dogs allowed.

The RSPCA don't have a clue what a Pit Bull is, like the police they are calling American Bulldogs Pit Bulls, they are nothing alike.

As I understand it, ONLY a DLO - Dog Legislation Officer - can legally determine whether a dog is of Pitbull type.

--------------------
The Mayhew Animal Home
http://www.mayhewanimalhome.org
+Quote Post
Craters_on_the_lawn
post 31st Jul 2017, 5:34 pm
Post #9

QUOTE(nikirushka @ 31st Jul 2017, 9:35 am) *

What irks me is that the money donated thanks to those adverts goes to head office but the branches don't see it - they work independently and have to do their own fundraising, as I understand it.

Yes absolutely.

I don't have anything against the local volunteers who do their best to try to fundraise locally and care for the few animals they can. They do a good job and try their best for the animals.
But it makes me pretty mad that head office keep all that money and doesn't let any of it filter down to the local branches.
Its dishonest advertising - I wonder if this Panorama programme will tackle it - hope so. The general public need to know .....and press for change. I don't want to break the RSPCA - I just want to see them really shaken up and get their priorities right.

The "Dog Rescuers" Channel 5 programme really winds me up sometimes - (and its always coupled with RSPCA adverts about stray and abandoned dogs). Often the RSPCA inspectors just don't seem to have a clue about dogs - how to approach a frightened dog, for example - and they often refer to the dog as "it" even though they do know whether its a girl or boy.

This post has been edited by Craters_on_the_lawn: 31st Jul 2017, 5:39 pm
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 1st Aug 2017, 8:29 am
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

QUOTE(Craters_on_the_lawn @ 31st Jul 2017, 6:34 pm) *

Its dishonest advertising - I wonder if this Panorama programme will tackle it - hope so. The general public need to know .....and press for change. I don't want to break the RSPCA - I just want to see them really shaken up and get their priorities right.

Indeed. I often see people say 'but what would we have if the RSPCA went?' But it doesn't need to go - it needs sorting out. It needs to get back to what it was originally created to do.

It would help if our laws were of any use, of course - that also needs addressing. The Animal Welfare Act has been about as useful as a chocolate teapot, as far as I can tell. All bark and no teeth.
+Quote Post
libertybella
post 1st Aug 2017, 9:01 am
Post #11

Member No.: 49326

What I want to know what do they spend the central fund on.i did lab rescue for about 8 years and not had good experience of the rspca
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 1st Aug 2017, 11:20 am
Post #12

Member No.: 10491

you can view the accounts here

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accou...0151231_E_C.pdf
+Quote Post
Kanie
post 1st Aug 2017, 1:54 pm
Post #13

Member No.: 15191

Some friends of ours took in a terrier-cross bitch from the RSPCA. They wanted an active, young, friendly family dog as they had a young child who was very keen to get involved with walks and some training.

I was shocked when they invited me round to see her. She was at least 10 years old, not the least bit interested in playing or being fussed over and clearly not used to children. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say she'd been the pet of an older person. She ended up growling and snapping at the family (they were very sensible and certainly did not 'force' their attention on her - they just hadn't the experience to deal with her)

It turns out when they returned her, the person they spoke to expressed no surprise that she'd come back and that she had indeed been an older person's pet and wasn't used to children.

unsure.gif Why?!!! I just don't get it! There is no reason why this lovely little bitch should have been put through the upheaval of a rehoming that had so little chance of working out.

Another friend was moving house from a smallholding and while they got organised in the new place and tidied up the old one, they left their elderly cat safe and warm in the outbuilding where she lived (she was a rescue semi-feral cat) and visited each day with food. Some 'concerned' person contacted the RSPB, who came and took her as 'abandoned' and she was PTS before they were able to trace her to explain (it was the days before micro-chipping)

This post has been edited by Kanie: 1st Aug 2017, 1:55 pm
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 1st Aug 2017, 3:49 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE(Sue B @ 31st Jul 2017, 6:16 pm) *

As I understand it, ONLY a DLO - Dog Legislation Officer - can legally determine whether a dog is of Pitbull type.

Most DLOs don't have a clue about what a Pit Bull looks like, the take the measurements with a tape measure, owners are now challenging them and winning. Dr Kendal Shepherd is the best person to assess your dog, she uses callipers when measuring a dog and goes to court to help the owner. She isn't cheap, she does go anywhere to assess a dog that is in danger.

The RSPCA are seizing dogs saying they are Pit Bull but they don't have the authority to seize them because they are in good condition and well looked after. The seized 2 dogs because the owner has an A frame and a treadmill for her own use by saying that she was training dogs to fight. They held them for over 2 years, one has died in kennels and the owner is still fighting to get her dog back.

Last week someone from the RSPCA went to someone's house with a Council worker, they looked through the window and said his dog was Pit Bull and they would come for him on Monday or Tuesday. The owner got in touch with us and signed him over, he is now in rescue.

I don't know who is the worst, the police or the RSPCA, both bully and intimidate and neither can enter your house without your permission unless the police have a warrant but they do.

Sorry for the rant, I have seen too much. mad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 1st Aug 2017, 7:02 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 22692

Can a dog really be proved to be or not to be a pit bull by measuring it. Surely the law says 'type'.

Some breeds like staffies can vary so much. There is a lovely little staffie bitch who walks round our village but she is so much smaller than others I have seen yet she looks very 'staffie'.

If a dog is 'pitbull type' does the size not vary depending on other genes in the dog.

Ange
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 4:43 am