3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Seizure At 11
bullybeef
post 2nd Jul 2017, 7:30 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 14843

My dog Herbie is a Beagle cross and 11, last night when I went to bed, he was fast asleep downstairs, then I heard him walk around and heard a crash as if he'd fell and by the time I got downstairs, he was panting, very disorientated and staggering round. He had pooed and then went outside and weed. I rang the vets immediately and she said it sounded like a seizure and to keep it dark and quiet until he calmed down. It took him a couple of hours and then he slept and I slept downstairs with him. This morning, he is very unsteady and lost control of his bowels and then fell over but no shaking or thrashing. I am trying not to panic but this is completely out of the blue.

I will ring the vets this morning to get him seen tomorrow unless of course, he gets any worse. She said it may be a brain tumour given his age so my heart has sunk...is this it? I don't want him to suffer but he has been so healthy before apart from damaging his cruiciate at Christmas!

Has anyone had similar problems?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 2nd Jul 2017, 7:52 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 37943

Our Flo was a senior when she had her one and only seizure - it was very frightening but she made a full recovery. She had a steroid jab but nothing more.

There are lots of things it could be and it is hard not to think the worst but I do hope this is a one off for your lad too.

Sending lots of positive thoughts and good wishes to Herbie and a hug.gif for you.

Please let us know how your precious lad gets on. flowers.gif
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 2nd Jul 2017, 8:02 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 46944

Are his eyes flickering from side to side? As lolbeck says, it could be lots of things with different prognosis. Hope he and you for better this morning and it is not too serious.
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 2nd Jul 2017, 8:07 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

One of my bridge boys started fitting at 13/14 years old, and the vet was convinced it was a brain tumour causing them sad.gif He didn't get on well with Epiphen tablets unfortunately, and he was already an old man, so only had a few months left with me.

That doesn't mean that all dogs are alike though and some can go on for years without even having another fit, with or without medicines. Hope Herbie doesn't have any more, or copes with meds better than my boy did hug.gif

Chris
+Quote Post
bullybeef
post 2nd Jul 2017, 8:28 am
Post #5

Thanks, he is still wobbly this morning but sleeping now. I will call vets later and get him in for tomorrow for tests. I can't see his eyes flickering but if he stands up and shakes his head, like he always does, he loses his balance. I have to try and get him out for a wee as he won't do anything in the garden, never has but no mean feat! Just so distressing to watch him struggle and feel so helpless crying.gif
+Quote Post
moorx
post 2nd Jul 2017, 10:04 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

Just wanted to send you and Herbie lots of hug.gif s

I hope you'll get answers soon and that it won't be as bad as you think.
+Quote Post
Elainew
post 2nd Jul 2017, 10:35 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 202

Sounds more like a vestibular attack to me. In my experience dogs tend to recover quite quickly from a fit. Normally time is a great healer but he could be feeling quite sick. I hope you see some improvement soon.

This post has been edited by Elainew: 2nd Jul 2017, 10:36 am
+Quote Post
moorx
post 2nd Jul 2017, 12:47 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

QUOTE(Elainew @ 2nd Jul 2017, 11:35 am) *

Sounds more like a vestibular attack to me. In my experience dogs tend to recover quite quickly from a fit. Normally time is a great healer but he could be feeling quite sick. I hope you see some improvement soon.

I must admit, I thought the same - I've got epilepsy and the after-effects don't usually last long, whereas I've had a dog have a vestibular attack and that took longer for them to recover from.

To be honest, I'm surprised the vet is speculating about potential causes and worrying the owner (more) when they haven't seen the dog or done any tests.
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 2nd Jul 2017, 4:51 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 2147

I'd does sound more like a vestibular attack - my 10'year old Labrador has occasional seizures but is always fine very shortly after. I hope the vet can give you some answers hug.gif
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 2nd Jul 2017, 5:06 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

Thinking about it, my Boots used to get disorienated before a fit, and was better afterwards. He sometimes had clusters though, which he was slower coming out of sad.gif

Chris
+Quote Post
bullybeef
post 2nd Jul 2017, 6:37 pm
Post #11

I have taken him to see the vet today whilst we were both off, he's still wobbly but a lot better ( he's wobbly after his cruiciate operation with his balance still ) his heart is fine, eyes responsive and nothing showed in the blood tests. She has said to see how he goes as we didn't actually witness what the attack was as we were upstairs, if he had another one, they would do X Ray's etc or an mri scan but didn't want to pu him through this at this stage. My husband is taking tomorrow off work to keep an eye on him.

If it was vestibular attack, would he not be falling on one side and not both? What causes vestibular attacks? I cried all the way to the vets in case we came home without him, I'm so relieved he's home but scared at the same time! Any advice would be most welcome!
+Quote Post
Elainew
post 2nd Jul 2017, 7:18 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 202

Only your vet can really advise. Had not realised that he was wobbly for another reason. I do hope he continues to improve!
+Quote Post
Pam13
post 2nd Jul 2017, 8:48 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 32646

Mac recently had a vestibular attack or similar and although he was over to one side he was falling to both sides and sounds very similar. He slept loads the first few days and went if his food but did get back to normal. Was probably a good 3-4days before he could shake and not fall over.
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 2nd Jul 2017, 9:30 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 37943

My advice would be to love him and cherish him and enjoy being with him. I hope he gets better and better and in truth who knows what tomorrow brings.....

+Quote Post
gilligan1
post 2nd Jul 2017, 10:11 pm
Post #15

Member No.: 15621

Hi

I have a jack russell who is 7 years old is epileptic and she is fine she takes Plexion twice a day . What we did was when she had a fit we took a video and showed the vet so they could see what's happening. Hope everything will be ok, fingers crossed and good luck.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 4:46 am