Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Dogs Are In Your Local Rescue?, Just curious
rmykapa
post 24th Jun 2017, 5:26 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 34499

No particular reason, just interested it used to be a fair few staffies then there were quite a few husky types but lately it seems to be mainly lurchers. I just wondered if this was regional, or a general trend. I live in Dorset. My local rescue has nine dogs advertised at present and 4 lurchers, 2 greyhouds and a whippet cross. This has been going on for several months, it generally seems to be more than half lurchers lately, they are getting homes thankfully, but more seem to appear.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sue B
post 24th Jun 2017, 5:45 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 3820

We get a mix. Used to be a lot of Staffies, we still get some, but the last year or so the fall out from the so-called designer cross breed is impacting, so we see more Poodle crosses and pug crosses than we used to.

I started at The Mayhew (initially as a volunteer) in 1999, and we mostly got old fashioned cross breeds, now they are fairly non-existent in London.

We also used to get way more GSD's, Collies, Sight-hounds and Rottweilers, now not that often.

--------------------
The Mayhew Animal Home
http://www.mayhewanimalhome.org
+Quote Post
Craters_on_the_lawn
post 24th Jun 2017, 9:08 pm
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 55685

I expect it depends where your local rescue is getting the dogs?
Depends if they are taking unclaimed strays or hand-ins?
Perhaps they have discovered that the lurchers do get rehomed quickly in your area so are happy to say yes when people phone up wanting to hand-in a dog.

I do find it interesting how local small independant rescues have different breeds that are prevelant - different preferences of the staff I suppose. Every rescue has to say no to alot more dogs than they can take in, and each rescue must have types or breeds it feels more comfortable with or thinks will be more likely to rehome I suppose? (I am talking about general rescues, not breed-specific rescues.)

One of our local rescues - HWAR - which takes all unclaimed dogs from the local pound - still seems to be getting an all round mix of staffies/bull breeds, lurchers, terriers, husky types, collies and many others. No more bull breeds than any other breed - but they are the ones that sadly seem to stick for longer.
We are in a rather rural area - I've always wondered if that makes any difference to what ends up at the local pound?

Another local rescue - Dog Samaritans - always has a large proportion of ex-farm collies.

Birch Hill always has a large proportion of staffies - they specifically take "death row" dogs from around the UK, as well as local hand-ins.

Worcester Animal Rescue Shelter always has Trail hounds (along with a mix of others).

Can't say I've noticed many designer cross-breeds in rescue locally; but I expect if people decide they don't want their designer dog anymore they sell them because they know they can get money for them, rather than dump them on the streets/in a rescue centre. Maybe its different in other parts of the country?

Edited to say : you can all now see I spend far too much time looking at local dogs needing homes! I really ought to stop .....as hubby says NO MORE DOGS....but I can't seem to help it

This post has been edited by Craters_on_the_lawn: 24th Jun 2017, 9:15 pm
+Quote Post
pamela joyce
post 25th Jun 2017, 12:54 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 7248

I've just had a look at our local rescue Brysons. They have a real mix of dogs in - collies, a lovely looking if overweight pair of labs, a young bichon (fortunately reserved - phew), several varieties of terrier along with greyhound/lurcher types and of course the staffies. Several of them (including the bichon) have obviously become difficult due to lack of rules. Poor dogs.
Pam
+Quote Post
mokee
post 25th Jun 2017, 1:54 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

I've just had a look at the webpage of my local rescue and they have very few dogs in at the moment, probably because the owner died recently, I expect.

Right now they have:

1 x lurcher
1 x border collie
2 x german shepherd
1 x labrador/GSD mix
1 x staffy (reserved)
1 x staffy (not reserved)

Over recent years they have mostly been inundated with Staffys and bull breed crosses with labradors, greyhounds/lurchers and good old mongrels making up most of the rest. They do occasionally get in spaniels and collies and other breeds, too, but small breeds or designers cross breeds are fairly rare in rescue around here as mostly they get put on the local selling groups and sell the same day (for far more than the rescue would charge, normally).
+Quote Post
zico's mum
post 25th Jun 2017, 3:24 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 10023

West Hatch RSPCA (mostly take welfare cases)
Staffie cross x 5
JRT cross x 1
Beagle cross x 1

St Giles - strays,handins and puppy farms rejects
Bichon cross x 1
Border Collie x 1
Staffie cross x 3
Malamute x 1
Beagle x 2
JRT cross x 3
Yorkie x 1
Husky cross (I think not great on northern breeds) x 2
Rottie cross x 1
Lurcher x 1
GSD cross x 1
Whippet cross x 1

NAWT - strays and handins
Collie cross x 1
Springer x 2
JRT cross x 2
Lurcher x 3
SBT x 2
Good old fashioned scruffy mongrel x 1
GSD x 1
Labrador x 2
Terrier cross x 1
Beagle x 1
Staffie cross x1

Interesting St Giles only had 4 Terriers in,they usually have loads mostly JRT and crosses

+Quote Post
Nina K
post 8th Jul 2017, 7:41 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 24023

QUOTE(Craters_on_the_lawn @ 24th Jun 2017, 10:08 pm) *

you can all now see I spend far too much time looking at local dogs needing homes! I really ought to stop .....as hubby says NO MORE DOGS....but I can't seem to help it

Same situation as you. We have 3 and it would not be fair on Coco (17) to take in any more at present. However, it's called "research" and "keeping your finger on the pulse" - just in case someone you hear of is looking. wink.gif smile.gif
+Quote Post
asher241
post 14th Jul 2017, 11:11 am
Post #8

Group: Member
Member No.: 58149

Ha ha ha! lol.gif I keep doing that on Not commercial businesses please! My Arnie is over 15 and suffering from lymphoma so not got long so I decided not fair to introduce another dog but I can't stop looking!! Coral is 10 so I think she would take to a new friend, she's very young at heart and still plays a lot. Up here it seems to be staffies, staffy crosses, huskies and terriers.
+Quote Post
Athel
post 29th Jul 2017, 6:39 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 46906

I'm seeing more and more chis and frenchies in our local rescues.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 4:17 pm