IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dog Barking For Attention Then Peeing!
Fox
post 22nd Mar 2018, 5:38 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 21305

So our new rescue barks at as for attention a lot. If I'm watching tv or such like. He's getting 2 big walks and several play sessions so plenty of attention. When he barks I try to ignore him totally but we live in a semi detached so I can't allow it to go on for a long period. I tried removing him from the room for 30 seconds and it worked. However a couple of times he's peed when I've removed him out the room. He doesn't need the loo as he's only just came in from the loo. Am I stressing him? If so what should I do with the barking?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 22nd Mar 2018, 10:22 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 22692

How long have you had him.

I'm sure folk with more knowledge than me will be along shortly. But I should think the poor soul is very stressed and seeking reassurance and I would think removing him from the room us stressing him terribly and the reason he pees.

I don't think you should reward his barking by playing with him. But reassurance by touching and being close to you should help him and perhaps giving him something to chew which relieves tension. Find a good trainer to show you how to teach him a 'settle'. The trainer should use positive reinforcement. APDT have always been good trainers in my experience.

Ange

This post has been edited by Auntie Ange: 22nd Mar 2018, 10:27 pm
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 23rd Mar 2018, 5:45 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

He does sound stressed.

Make sure he's got enough mental stimulation - training, treat balls, toys he has to work to get food out of. Training would be the best one for you as it'll build the bond between you and his responsiveness to you. Trick training is brilliant for this and it can help with edgy or reactive dogs as well. Good fun, no pressure, and brainwork all in one!

Remember to include calm stuff too. You say two big walks plus play sessions - that sounds like it's all active stuff but this can backfire. In particular try and avoid a lot of ball chasing, if you're doing it, as it ramps up the adrenaline and can really cause problems! You need to balance walks and play with calming activities, such as the food toys, and working on calmer things such as sits and stays. Scentwork is excellent for a calmer thing to do which tires them out as well.

In the meantime, I would distract him when he starts barking. You can teach a quiet cue by producing a tasty treat in front of his nose when he starts, saying 'quiet' as you do it, then wait at least 5 seconds before praising and giving him the food (waiting means he'll be rewarded for staying quiet, rather than barking). When he can do 5 seconds start to add a second or two each time before you reward, and build it up.
+Quote Post
Fox
post 23rd Mar 2018, 10:06 pm
Post #4

Thank you, he's been a little better today. He gets 2 long walks a silly play session and one lot of brain training (treats in dispenser to move round) it's when I'm working on the laptop or watching tv he gets frustrated at getting ignored. I don't want to pat him as I remember from a previous behaviourist it's just teaching them to demand attention. Trying to get him to relax a bit and he's taken himself to bed a couple of times today which is an improvement! We've had him 5 days.
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 24th Mar 2018, 12:16 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

I am not a behaviourist but I have a true story........My dogs aren't rescues, I have had them since puppies. one of them had a phase, about a year ago, when he would constantly demand attention and climb on me. I tried working on his settle which is usually good, giving him more brain work, all the usual things when it dawned in me that we had been having a bout of really wet weather and every time he came for a cuddle after being in the garden, I would say (nicely) oh get off you are muddy. Poor boy and bad bad owner! I made a change in MY behaviour. Every time he came for attention, I gave it to him, mud or no mud. Pretty soon he was back to his normal laid back self and the "attention seeking" went away......so are you SURE that you need to be on the computer and watch TV so much? could you perhaps pre empt the barking by calling him over for a fuss? 5 days isn't that long smile.gif
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 24th Mar 2018, 2:49 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

If you need him to relax while you work, train him to! Have him laid on his bed nearby, and chuck treats at him periodically when he's laid down and relaxed. Quite frequently to start with, then gradually longer between treats as he learns to chill out. If he comes over and starts to bother you, lure him back to his bed, reward him for laying down, and go back to where you were, chucking treats again periodically.
+Quote Post
Fox
post 7th Apr 2018, 8:41 pm
Post #7

QUOTE(woofgang @ 24th Mar 2018, 12:16 am) *

I am not a behaviourist but I have a true story........My dogs aren't rescues, I have had them since puppies. one of them had a phase, about a year ago, when he would constantly demand attention and climb on me. I tried working on his settle which is usually good, giving him more brain work, all the usual things when it dawned in me that we had been having a bout of really wet weather and every time he came for a cuddle after being in the garden, I would say (nicely) oh get off you are muddy. Poor boy and bad bad owner! I made a change in MY behaviour. Every time he came for attention, I gave it to him, mud or no mud. Pretty soon he was back to his normal laid back self and the "attention seeking" went away......so are you SURE that you need to be on the computer and watch TV so much? could you perhaps pre empt the barking by calling him over for a fuss? 5 days isn't that long smile.gif

I'm afraid I work on my computer so yes I do need to! 😊 A behaviourist had advised not to give attention when it's demanded and it's not feasible to constantly give attention. He's been a lot better and is settling better in the evening but is still barking for attention. We are doing a fair bit of brain training and training session each day. Hopefully it will subside.

I'll try the treating when he's chilled. He's just puppylike he's not doing anything wrong - it's just a settling period.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 8th Apr 2018, 9:29 am
Post #8

Group Icon

See my reply above! If you actively train him to settle, it will subside much faster wink.gif
+Quote Post
Fox
post 11th Apr 2018, 6:31 pm
Post #9

Thank you - he's been much more relaxed the last few days!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2018 - 1:04 am