IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Rescue Growling At Existing Dog, What should we do?
Fox
post 18th Mar 2018, 8:34 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 21305

Our new rescue dog arrived today (4 year old terrier from a Spanish rescue) we've no history on him. He's really friendly and a real happy wee thing other than he's growled
At our existing dog a couple of times. She's fairly bomb proof and isn't a dominant type at all.

One time was when we were sitting at the table eating and she wandered over and he snarled which I get would be food related, but he's done it if she's walked into the room - not even toward him.

What should we do? I shouldn't check him for growling should I? As it's a warning? My main concern is obviously my current dog as she's checking if he's in the room then not coming in - it's her home and I want her to feel secure and safe.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kimw
post 18th Mar 2018, 10:40 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 42138

Can't offer any advice as a cat person but hoping it's nothing more than settling into a new environment and that both dogs are happy with each other very soon smile.gif
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 19th Mar 2018, 9:13 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

I would give them at least a week separated, so she doesn't have this pressure in her own home and he has time to adjust, without feeling the need to protect himself, or keep her away from anything. Use stairgates and give them time to observe each other without the pressure of interaction.

His entire world has changed in a short space of time and he may not have lived in a home before, or with another dog - so at this point, potentially, literally everything is brand new to him and he will be having to cope with a lot. With new people, and a new dog. So take it gently!

Definitely don't check the growling - you want that warning/communication in place. Removing that will only exacerbate the problem as he'll skip to sharper methods to achieve whatever he's trying to achieve.

What I would do is start rewarding him - everything he gets right, and every time he looks at her, walks past her (still behind a stairgate) or she walks past him, etc and he doesn't react negatively. Make her a predictor of lovely things, and reward him for any and all calm, non-reactive or even friendly behaviour towards her.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2018 - 1:04 am